Posted August 10, 2014
This is a great school. It is such a pleasure to have your kids come home from school with a smile and be excited about what they are learning and the friends they have made.

Posted June 14, 2013
If you love your children, do not send them here.I was bullied all throughout middle school, but the worst time was when I was on the bus one afternoon, and I got beat up by this girl I didn't even know. I was hurt pretty badly. I came home with a broken nose, and bruises and scrapes everywhere on my body. I told my mom what happened and she reported it to the school. The school checked the bus tapes and sure enough, it was clear as day. However, they told me that there was "not enough evidence" to do anything about it. I was told that the only way they could do something about it is if I asked people I knew that had also been bullied by this girl to report it. Sure enough 10-15 people then made true reports. The following week I was told to "drop it" because apparently someone had pushed the girl and they immediately linked it to me because I seemingly had a "grudge" against her. I continued to get bullied the rest of my time at dcc but I never reported it because they simply don't care. A year later the police called the school because I had attempted suicide because of repetitive bullying. They said they had no idea it was happening, and even after that they did nothing.

Posted May 16, 2013
I've gone to three high schools. Trust me, this is by far the best of the three. The social divisions among students is much less severe than the other high school I have been to and since there is very heavy military presence, it is fairly easy to make new friends. You can always find something to complain about, but it is better to look at the school as a whole. DCC is a beautiful school, which, for the most part, has excellent and caring teachers. The teachers and administration are much more relaxed compared to my others schools, which can be annoying when you add in less mature students, but if you are serious about your education, I see this as a good thing. If you really want to succeed and work hard, you will. The AP courses provided are pretty good, and I felt prepared for the tests. I just wish they would add more AP courses such as AP Physics and an official AP Chemistry course. I'm proud to have graduated from this school. Oh, and to the person who said the parking lot was like a maze... What?

Discovery Canyon Campus School 4

Posted May 09, 2013
I have two children in the elementary school. One finishing 1st, the other 4th grade. In the beginning of the year, I was not very impressed. My son was put in a classroom where they had just moved a 5th grade teacher down to 1st grade and she was a huge disappointment. The young lady (only 2nd year teaching) realized this though and resigned about a month into school. They hired a super young lady, just out of college and I thought we were IN FOR IT!! Fortunately, this gal had her act together and made the very best out of a pretty bad situation. I think the administration could have helped the new gal out quite a bit more to get the class organized, so it took until around Thanksgiving before the class was truly in order and kids were on track. After all that though, it has been clear sailing! The new first grade teacher does her very best to differentiate in class and is very open to parent involvement. My daughter's 4th grade teacher has had it dialed in since the beginning. She is phenomenal when it comes to writing and language arts. DCC also has a "talented and gifted" program for kids that are above grade level, allowing kids to reach their full potential.

Posted April 03, 2013
High school principal dresses too casual. Lead by example to the students. He lacks leadership over his teachers and counselors. The good ones are good, but they are few and far between. When you point out how unprofessional teachers react, the principal disregards. Eventually, when several of us parents tell the principal something, ignoring it is not leadership it is lazy. Find your professional attire and professional leadership. The school is going downhill under Bailey's lack of leadership.

Discovery Canyon Campus School 2

Posted March 01, 2013
The principal is not a leader at the school. I find most teachers to be lazy and unresponsive to parents questions. Some teachers know less about what is going on in the school than parents. Some teachers don't teach and the kids have to teach themselves. Many poor quality teachers and I don't understand how they keep their jobs year after year. Overall, it is a disappointment.

Posted February 14, 2013
I love the "campus" design of this school!!! What a huge convenience, especially for someone with children in different grade levels (elementary through high school). This is a brand-new, beautiful school w/ all the best amenities. As far as academics go, there is a strong emphasis on IB curriculum - which is great for college-bound kids! The school is also in a wonderful and safe (extremely low-crime) area... You really can't go wrong if you send your kids to DCC!!!

Posted February 12, 2013
My children all attend DCC,1 HS, 1MS, and 2 ES. What a wonderful thing that they are all on one campus! We have been at this school for 5 years now and being a military family who has moved around, we have had experience with lots of schools, DCC is by far the best we have encountered. I was shocked to read some of the negative reviews, but realized some people just like to complain. Administrators at each level have been responsive to all of my requests, and have always been able to work something out to make sure my children get what they need. They are definitely child centered and do their best to make sure every kid is taken care of. Is it perfect, no, but what school is? Being a newer school, DCC has had to work through some changes and growing pains, but has come out better in the end. Having seen how hard the teachers work behind the scenes and the hours they spend outside the school day, I guarantee you will not find a more dedicated group of teachers, anywhere! I would not hesitate to recommend DCC to my family and friends(and have). I would choose DCC again in a heartbeat for my children! You will find a caring community, great teachers, and a fantastic facility!

Posted January 04, 2013
I have daughters at both DCC middle and high school and we are very happy with both. The actual school is beautiful with equipment that rivals many colleges. The teachers have all been responsive when contacted and the counselours we've dealt with regarding our special needs children were great - so much more concerned and responsive than those we dealt with in Distruct 49! Teacher monitored after school help is available every day, there are TONS of after school clubs and activities and community service hours are required for every student. There has the usual teenage drama but none of the bullying my girls saw in District 49 and the administration here is much more visible and approachable than at previous schools. The curriculum here is much more demanding than at other schools the girls have attended but students have the support system to succeed and teachers and administrators who are invested in their success. I'm really shocked at some of the reviews here, which totally contradict the experience we've had here!

Posted August 05, 2012
This is THE worst school in the district. The teachers are just as catty and insensitive as the high school students. And the administration? Don't even get me started. My daughter went here for both middle school and high school. She hated it from the beginning, but to go to any other school was too inconvenient logistically. So we tried our best to work out the problems. Unfortunately, nothing was ever resolved. She was bullied and harassed by a group of students throughout the years and nothing was ever done about it. Also, because District 20 has this ridiculous hiring policy, all of the teachers are new and inexperienced. My daughter didn't learn a thing until she left! Plus, anytime she struggled with her work, no matter how hard she tried, it was always our fault. Working parents can do their best to help with homework, but ultimately, it comes down to the teachers. And these ones don't have a clue what they're doing! I was shocked at how rude and utterly disrespectful they have been to our entire family. I hate this school so much that I'd be willing to picket in front of it, telling everyone how terrible it really is.

Discovery Canyon Campus School
1810 Northgate Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO  80921
Last modified Discovery Canyon Campus School is a Public school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Discovery Canyon Campus School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews.