School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I would love to be able to talk with this parent in person. We WANT parents to have their questions answered because we believe "every good question deserves a GOOD answer." If parents are concerned about a lesson their child found confusing, they can contact the teacher of their child's class as a first step. If their questions are still not answered, parents can go to lead teachers or either the assistant principal or the principal. It's always best to start with the most direct communication: when I was teaching, I always appreciated being able to address parents' questions first - we could save so much time and effort that way. But if questions are still there, then a parent can take it to the next level until they are satisfied. The parents are amazed at how carefully designed and refined the whole teaching process is, from curricula to teacher training and coaching, to adding extra structure for struggling students. As for JICES teachers using scripted lessons, we do use a number of Direct Instruction curricula (Science Research Associates publisher), which do have very specific lesson plans that are scripted in order to avoid confusing "side trails" and extra wording that doesn't always help. These highly researched lessons have had numerous studies showing how students can "learn more in less time" and accelerate their success. However, teachers should never leave a student confused. A number of other curricula we use is not scripted, but teachers are trained to use Explicit Teaching methods in these subjects as well. Again, I would love to talk with this parent - please make an appointment or come by the office. As for students with language challenges: yes, we do have a number of students whose home language is not English. In fact we have a number of different home languages other than English represented in our student population. We have opened up some tutoring for all students who struggle with language challenges, whether they "qualify" as an English Language Learner or not. Parents can contact the classroom teacher for more information. Hope to see you so we can explore your questions! EB, Principal
April 25, 2011

James Irwin Charter Elementary School 4

Posted May 10, 2015
This is a decent school. Character emphasis is great! We use to have khaki in the elementary just like the middle school. Khakis and blue skirts give parents 2 options with uniform purchase but the elementary school has deleted Khaki which often can be less pricey. Since khakis do not affect character i hope the school administration will look at this from the parent point of view and give parents two options again khaki skirt and pant option again just like in the middle school. Also another challenge will be with not allowing kids to use the bathroom when needed. We hope you can see this from the parents standpoint and lets have a great school together.

James Irwin Charter Elementary School 2

Posted February 13, 2015
Everything was okay until I decided to pull my student because of a worry about pacing and curriculum. Communication with administration is subpar. My student ended the year in December and we were mailed a final report card in February. He has always been an A or B student. However, on his report card he received a C. I was given one artifact to show his decline. I asked for a meeting but they stated because of testing they had no time. I had no clue my student had such a great decline and the work he brought home was normally. The teacher never contacted me or anything. I am very disappointed. I guess that since my student no longer attends their school they do not have time to resolve our issues.

Posted January 27, 2015
Great school and excellent curriculum. My daughter loved her teachers and the staff. They teach and encourage positive character development traits.

Posted May 23, 2014
This is an exceptional school. Recently my Kindergartner recited a portion of the Gettysburg Address in a school-wide assembly. My son's progress this year has been amazing, and he is excelling at this school. He is nearing the 2nd grade level in both reading and math. There is very little downtime at this school -- kids stay on task because of the direct-instruction method and high standards enforced by the teachers. I also love the open-door policy. I drop in at any time I please to help out in the classroom, or to just sit and observe. I don't even have to let the teachers know I am coming. At the Landsharks Running Club meets, which are community-wide events, our students are the ones to sing the National Anthem before the running begins. This school is big on American history and values and character. I could not ask for a better school or for more dedicated teachers. Thanks to the wonderful staff at James Irwin.
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2014
I am so happy that I listened to my friend and enrolled my daughter in this excellent school. From the CEO all the way to the people who keep up the appearance of our school, they show that they care for our children and our school. When you walk down the halls you hear learning in progress. You don't hear children screaming and teachers pleading with them to calm down and be quiet. I love that I have the opportunity to sit in on classes in session and volunteer everyday. I get a chance to see education in progress. At other "neighborhood" schools, you might actually feel like they don't want you to sit in on classes. I feel like we all are Blessed and lucky to have our children in this school system. I say system because they don't have to worry about going to a "new" school because the schools are connected. You can actually walk from the elementary to the middle and from the middle walk across the break area to the high school. Our children are safe and well cared for while in school. They are greeted in the morning when they walk through the main doors and again when they enter their classrooms. My daughter brings home a math "book" rather than a math "sheet". Thank you all.

Posted April 23, 2014
We love the school! The entire staff is very friendly and they greet the students when entering the school. Every morning the principal is waving to and greeting the students and parents as they enter the parking lot. The principal is also involved in everything that goes on at the school. Students are placed in groups for reading and Math with other peers of their level. My child has learned more in 9 weeks than the whole year in their previous Charter school last year!.

Posted April 05, 2014
We love this school. The strong character first program is brilliant. They are not pumping out kids that can rattle off numbers but teaching, training, and guiding students to be strong, smart, confident citizens for the world. Two teachers per class is so helpful to the students. They are easy to talk to and so loving to all the students. Its rare these days to see students rushing to hug their teachers but I've seen it day after day from the kindergarteners to the 5th graders.

Posted April 03, 2014
LOVE this school and am thankful that all my children are enrolled. If you want a school that embraces our Western heritage and tradition then you will enjoy this school. If you just compare the TCAP scores to the district and state results you will see that JICES is in the mid-90% while the others are about 75% proficient. There are rules and guidelines, uniforms and pride in appearance so if that is not for you then this school would not be for you. Personally, I welcome these things as life lessons for my children. The classes are small and there is individual attention. For example, my son was below average in math and he received intensive instruction until he caught up. There is a second math class after school called "double dose" and that sort of boost helped him catch up. Now, 4 months later, he is in advanced math. I also like that they are an all-cursive school. I can't say enough in this small space about how much I love JICES. I recommend that you take the tour (sign up at the front office) and see for yourself.

James Irwin Charter Elementary School 4

Posted April 03, 2014
I am very happy to have all my children at JICS. I believe the teachers really do care!

James Irwin Charter Elementary School 1

Posted April 02, 2014
I thought sending my child to JICES was the best choice but let's just say I was completely wrong. I want my child to have a great learning environment. I feel as if the children are treated like robots. The sad part is that the teachers are the same way. They have to teach in a dictating form that well it's hard for children to flow unless they are exceptional. I would love to say that my kid is a perfect students but let's face the fact my kid isn't. They will struggle and sometimes the environment is the one thing that needs to be change. I wish this school would reevaluate how they do things. I have had the opportunity out to observe all three schools and let's just say that the things they stress at the elementary school aren't a priority in the at the others. Our kids struggle for excellence but why isn't it followed through???? I will be moving my child next year into a school that will care for him rather than be concern with appearance and scores.
2 people found this helpful

James Irwin Charter Elementary School
5525 Astrozon Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO  80916
Last modified James Irwin Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Irwin Charter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 61 reviews. Top