The Classical Academy Charter

Charter | K-6

Posted January 27, 2010

This is our first year at TCA and we couldn't be more pleased. Our daughter is in K, we are amazed by what she is has learned in just the first semester. TCA believes in partnering with parents, and we love that the school further instills the core values/core curriculum that we teach at home! We are pleased with the structure, the phonics program, and the math skills our child is demonstrating. The teachers are dedicated, kind, and loving towards students. Our daughter is excited to do her homework and complains on the days when she doesn't have any! Even the school's report card is in a class by itself. TCA is C.S.'s Shining Star... and we look forward to the day when all our kids will be attending here!

Posted October 20, 2009

Great school. The pricipal is amazing. Awesome teachers. We are blessed to be at this school.

Posted September 15, 2009

I have two children now attending TCA and we love it. My oldest child was reading at a 5th grade level by the end of 1st grade! Yes, it may be considered a more conservative school, but we like that about TCA. And believe me, the kids all have very unique, individual personalities! They are not all sitting in one position or one direction as stated in one review! They are great kids who have learned when to act silly and when not to. Isn't this what they'll need to know in the 'real world' one day? I have been amazed at the things my children learn--in reading, writing, math, geography, art, music, Spanish, and more!

Posted April 25, 2009

I have two children attending TCA and a third one to start this year. TCA has a lot going for it and the staff has each child's best interest at heart. This school is very academic so I wouldn't recommend it to a student who is challenged academically. We are a Christian family and when we have had trouble, the parents have always been open to dialogue, even if we can't patch everything up. If we were not a Christian family, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable sending my kids there. I think a non Christian might feel a bit left out since there tends to be much talk among the students of where they attend church, forming bible study groups, etc. Parent participation is expected, that is part of what makes TCA the great school it is. TCA is the best thing going for our family currently.

Posted April 15, 2009

My child does attened TCA. I am also a chrisitan, but do not want my child only excepting of one type of person ( people) in the world. Kids will have to face the real world sooner or later, I do not want my child to be unexcepting of others. A true christian does not judge! If you are different or have different values from your peers at TCA then you will be critizied for it. Staff and Administration needs alot of work. We will be moving on next year.

Posted April 14, 2009

If you want to ensure that your child obtains fundamental skills to succeed, you will want to be on the waiting list and enroll him/her in the TCA. Comparing my two children from different school systems, I find that my youngest, who attends TCA, definitely has better skills to advance. Commenting on a previous message: I am for a Christian-based environment, where teachers, parents, and students are always reminded of Christian values!

Posted August 31, 2008

TCA is an exceptional school in that it allows parents numerous opportunities to be involved in their childrens' education. Like any school, there are internal problems, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The students are generally very respectful and as far as making the school better, the families need to get involved and make their voices heard. Character and morality is modelled and kindness is a character trait that is easily observed in students.

Posted July 31, 2008

As 'conservative Christian' but not wealthy parents, we are rather confused with some of the comments made. We actually find the school has changed over the time we have been here, and not for the better. It was a wonderful school, but aside from the dress code, it has now become more like a regular public school with all the normal problems which we didn't have before. We are looking at other options of which there are not many, because quite frankly the 'vision' and the actuality are no longer the same. The school has gotten too big, and the leaders aren't able to handle the goals that were set out many years ago. We are so very disappointed with the middle and high school in particular.

Posted July 14, 2008

Wonderful staged education based on learning the building blocks (times tables), grammar, GEOGRAPHY, history. Huge difference in math skills compared to my son's time at Prairie Hills. Only problem is that children come from all over town and its hard to meet and bond with neighborhood children. But since Da Vinci Academy is our home school, its not worth switching. Also, find some of the comments ridiculous about sitting at attention and only playing in one direction. Occasionally, a fun teacher organizes a game of kickball but even TAG is allowed. Not a highly conservative, rich, Christian parent either.

Posted May 23, 2008

I'm a former TCA parent. My 2 oldest children were in the elementary program for 3 years. They received an excellent education while there. From what I could see, TCA tries to provide an excellent academic education within the state's required framework, while still balancing family needs, which is of highest priority. Some of the posts complain about how it's run, who runs it, and the general mindset/paradigm of the people there... my response to those of you who are complaining is quit complaining and promptly remove your children. This is a charter school with a very definite vision which generally requires like-minded parents and staff to maintain that vision. If you don't fit in or like it, depart to a more 'liberal' public school of choice and be thankful you have that choice. Or start your own charter with your own vision!

Posted March 12, 2008

Please consider this before sending your child to TCA. This school is only for those students that are able to conform and have no personality of their own. If you do not donate, you will feel repercussions. If you are not active in your church or not Christian, your children will be teased and bullied by 'Christian' students. If your child is handicapped or impaired this is not the school for them. Minority? Forget it! One minority student was bullied so badly she is now homeschooled. The drug problem in the high school is ignored. Although they will tell you differently, there is no one to hold TCA accountable for their actions. The Board and their President are all about the bottom line.

Posted January 29, 2008

The elementary school use to be the best of the best. I am quite displeased with the administration at the North school, especially the principal and the president of the school. The north elementary principal there does not push for good behavior from the students and tries to ignore bad behavior rather than deal with it. She does not support high-quality teachers or parents of good-behavior students. The north elem principal and the president do not hold themselves accountable for the many problems that the school is encountering. They would rather ignore the problems than try to deal with them and they are now growing in great number.

Posted January 7, 2008

The curriculum is outstanding and the teachers are dedicated. The emphasis on integrity and character has made a very positive impact on my kids.

Posted January 2, 2008

School is very good for elementary, but don't expect miracles in middle or high school. From our experience, recommend transferring after elementary from an academic standpoint. As far as all the discussion about ethics and morals, kids are no better here; in some ways worse, because they hide a lot of more things from their parents or teachers/administration. Also, the colleges kids are attending are not impressive.

Posted January 2, 2008

I just wish I could leave this school. My paretns think it's the best, but if they only knew what really went on here. THe kids don't have the best character like the school says. I've tried telling them, but they don't listen and think it's so great. They treat us like babies here. The classes my friends take at other high schools are way harder than what I have, and there are a lot more to choose from. I barely have to study here, that's the good part for me I guess - more free time to play on the computer.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 2, 2008

TCA comes a long side of parents to teach children morals and values while instilling in them the best education they can give. According to test scores, this school has some of the highest scores in the state of Colorado. To me that speaks volumes. I want my daughter to be academically challenged, but also have reinforecment of what we teach at home. Respect, Modesty,Perserverence, family priorites are a must in my home. Here TCA lends support to the things that matter most to my family as a whole. Probably one of the best things I appreciate about TCA is the fact that they limit the amount of homework given to students. They do this because they are trying to balance school and family life.

Posted December 27, 2007

I placed my child on the wait list for three years due to the reputation that I had heard TCA had however I regret ever placing my child in this school. They place small children at the position of attention while seated in class, allow the children to play in only one direction on the playground, test 1st graders to be fast but not accurate in their work and when not fast enough they fail them, and when finally faced with serious environmental issues, failed to respond and take responsibility for their actions. My child was removed from this school immediately.

Posted December 17, 2007

This is my 2nd year teaching at TCA and I absolutely love the faculty, parents, and students. I constantly recieve encouragement and support from the people at TCA.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 15, 2007

We have been with TCA for 6 years. We have been very pleased. My son attended a D-20 school for kindergarten and was an average reader, with in his first 4 months at TCA for 1st grade he was reading at a 3 grade level. When you write down the pro's and con's. You will find that the pro's outway the con's. Every school has issues. I have a middle school child. When I hear about what is going on in the back of school buses and the PDA that is allowed in the schools, I am thankful for our high standards. There was an issue of bullying and when the principal was told about it, it was nipped in th bud that day. We are proud to be a TCA family.

Posted December 15, 2007

My daughter started at TCA in 2nd grade and she has loved every single year. I originally transferred her there for a smaller classroom size and have found that the benefits have been much greater than expected. She is now in Jr High and our Principal Sojourner is phenomenol. My daughter is becoming an amazing and wellrounded young lady and I feel that TCA has been my partner in her character devlopment as well as academic achievements.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

All Students93%

Students without disabilities84%
Proficient in English81%
Neither migrant nor immigrant81%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 5%N/A41%
Male 50%N/A51%
Female 50%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

975 Stout Rd