Public charter
Colorado Springs, CO
Students enrolled: 2,051

The Classical Academy Charter 4

Posted September 14, 2014
TCA-East: We thought Military style as well but then we met with the teacher and more was explained: 1. Line up by number: Number corresponds to child's last name for lunch due to special meals. Many students could not spell their last name so they switched to numbers and practiced lining up. 2. Hand shake instead of hug: We prefer hugs but they started with handshake, greeting, and look in the eye in the AM to instill confidence in the student and to model how it is done in public. Teacher will give the choice of hugs later if the student wants one. 3. Group punishment: Teacher admitted it was a mistake and her mentor said it was not used as a standard practice. Since then, kids got to go to recess early if they stayed on track and finished the assignment instead of the whole class missing out. Overall: Order/rules vs. warm environment is a bit of a balancing act. Too far one way can cause rigid and strict environment and the other way can classroom chaos. Most schools due to their philosophy lean one way and it helps for the parent to be involved in order to bring balance.

The Classical Academy Charter 2

Posted August 25, 2014
Waited to be accepted and already , first week in, Am regretting this decision. I can only speak for the East campus. It always seems tense. no One barely knows who the principle as she is not in the front Lines but stays behind doors. It is very cold and I would say Extremist military style tone towards children. They seem to exert authority over anything versus encourage A child. The carpool is a mess, waiting 20 minutes before Moving. Not looking promising.

Posted February 20, 2014
We have a kindergartner and so far, we have been nothing but pleased with TCA north. We followed their recommendations on what age our child should start and she loves school and is excelling. Academically she has made huge improvements in handwriting and math and has been reading for a few months. She loves the special subjects especially art class. However, the most important quality to us as parents are the virtues she is learning at home, to be respectful, kind, loyal etc. are being reinforced at TCA. When the class is disrespectful they are expected to apologize and sometimes miss recess. Her teacher is kind and loving but at the same time expects the children to behave at their full potential. And bonus points for rejecting Common Core so that teachers can continue to do their job to the best of their ability.

The Classical Academy Charter 1

Posted January 20, 2014
my niece is going to this school - she is telling me every time I see her how much she wants to be home-schooled - the reason? Bullying is common among the girls - this school seems to suffer from " mean girl syndrome" through most grade levels - even in elementary! The teachers are too busy to cope with the curriculum and testing to care much about the happiness of the students. My nephew left the school last year because he doesn't exactly fit their description of " normal" - he was struggling with spelling due to dyslexia and the recommendation of the school was to put him in a public school as they don't have the resources to deal with him - maybe that is how they intend to keep their test scores up? He LOVES his new public school and the teachers have only good things to say about him- he finally has friends and feels accepted- nobody understands why he was labeled difficult! We will be taking my niece out after this school year - she hates to go to school every day!

The Classical Academy Charter 2

Posted September 25, 2013
My child is in first grade and she is having a terrible experience with her drill sergeant teacher. I have asked her to show more love to my child (as she cries every day about school) but the teacher says "she'll adjust." Finally I talked to the principal, and asked for her to be moved due to incompatibilty. This was also unsuccessful. The principal has a loving personality, but as he explained "His hands are tied." TCA has small classes so they can micromanage the way the child holds a pencil, holds a book, tucks in their uniform, correct their posture and in the case of my childs teacher, requires them to say "yes, Ma'm." None of this is improving my child's reading but it is making her sad and nervous. My child spent 4 years on their "wait list" and I wish we hadn't wasted our effort.

Posted June 27, 2013
Our oldest daughter was accepted into TCA at Central in 5th grade. It was one of the biggest blessings in our daughter's life. TCA opened their arms and wrapped them around our little girl. The principal and staff are absolutely phenomenal. Our daughter "lost" a year while in public school but the staff at TCA worked with her to catch her up and by the time 6th grade was in, she was caught up. The principal knows everyone & is always willing to chat with you about your student. The kids absolutely love him! The staff is amazing, sweet, and unbelievably generous with their time and talent. I cannot say enough about this amazing school that has done so much for my daughter. You cannot find a better elementary school in Colorado Springs. I know, we've looked. Trust your children to TCA. You will not regret it!

The Classical Academy Charter 1

Posted January 16, 2013
My child was bullied here by the children and the principal did not do anything about it! School is supposed to be a safe place for children. Also the school food is repulsive. I will not be coming back.

Posted October 28, 2012
Excellent school, great, caring teachers and small classes. We couldn't be happier with the school.

Posted September 22, 2011
Both my children have been at TCA in Colorado Springs for years. They both started out in kindergarten and are now in upper elementary. We have been at both the East and Central campuses. The education and personal attention that our children receive at TCA is excellent. Their class size would be so much more in a public school. The fact that all the elementary classes have a tutor/helper at least part time is a huge benefit. Many parents volunteer hours each week to assist the teachers and administration. The parent involvement is almost unparalleled with other schools. I know the wait list can be lengthy to get your child in to TCA. Your chances are best if you live in District 20 and get your child/children on the list as young as possible - but I tell you it is worth it. The teachers not only are passionate about teaching - but passionate about your children. I've always said that TCA is like getting a private school education & personal attention without the enormous cost - and also without the "sheltered" viewpoint that many private schools can have.

Posted May 15, 2011
As with absolutely anything in life, one must put heart and mind into the experience to genuinely glean the most out of the adventure. Am I right? Most definitely. I graduated from TCA in the class of '09. I now maintain a 3.0 GPA in college, and I honestly attribute this success to the definite way this school views education. Education is a challenge that takes heart. BUT I see compliance in parenting killing the success of child education. You, parents and guardians, HAVE GOT TO let your kidos know that the challenge of education is to be welcomed. It is to be welcomed, because you let your child know, "Yes, you can do it, and yes; I am here to help you, because I care." Empower your little scholars, because the world is out to let them know they are only one person, they aren't amazing, and therefore, they amount to very little. The student who challenges is that is the one who has a solid support system at home-one that encourages the challenge and encourages the student. So, good job to the people out there doing it right. - thanks mom and dad.

The Classical Academy Charter
975 Stout Rd, Colorado Springs, CO  80921
Last modified The Classical Academy Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The Classical Academy Charter Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top