Banning Lewis Ranch Academy

Charter | K-8 | 496 students

School Official Point of View

Posted February 12, 2009

BLRA 2008 Fall Parent Survey Results Total Score 9.11 Overall child s experience 9.12 Principal / CAO - Satisfaction 9.21 Teacher - Satisfaction 9.38 Overall discipline practices 9.24 Overall communication for student progress 8.89 Likelihood to recommend school to others 8.84 Ratings are based on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 means Strongly Disagree , and 10 means Strongly Agree.

Posted September 9, 2009

We have been in the school since Day 1. Was very upset to think at first that we were not going to make it in, due to the long waiting list. But, was so glad when we receieved the call that we had made it in & to a free, Full day Kindergarten program which has the 3 most professional & caring teachers & aides! Though, it was a brand new school, I was very impressed right off the bat! And, from then, it has only continued to get better & better. From an even better principal to all the sports, clubs & other extras the school has to offer now! The curriculum is terrific, love that my children will be aware of the world around them & that they get to perform & participate in front of their peers & family, what fun! My children love attending school every day!

Posted August 7, 2009

This is our second year at Banning and I have to say it is an amazing school. We attended the Stallion Round up, it was very well organized. It was nice to be able to see the school and meet my sons new teacher. My only thing we are unhappy about is the way the resell was handled and the constant asking of money from the PTO. Last year they did things for free and included all families. The teachers are wonderful, the sports programs are in their second year and there are alot of clubs. Overall the school is great.

Posted July 15, 2009

I love Banning Lewis Ranch Academy. I have learned so much and have learned more than my friends that attend public school. After reading the other review I have to agree that it is sad to see the prior pto board leave. They did so much for our school. Everywhere you look you can see where they touched the school in a positive way. I really enjoyed seeing them in the school. The president was always friendly and willing to listen to our thoughts and ideas. I keep hearing the word the next level by the new board, there isn't a next level unless it is down. I will miss seeing them this fall.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 8, 2009

I have been very happy with BLRA, the teachers and staff. I was always supportive of the PTO and other fundraisers the school held. I do have concerns about next years leaders in the PTO. The last board was very supportive of the teachers, staff and families. Their opions really mattered. Now there are issures of control. I do think BLRA is a great school it is just sad to see such strong, caring, easy to approach leaders not on the board anymore.

Posted June 11, 2009

I was very unhappy and displeased with BLRA, its lack of leadership within the staff, lack of understanding of child development and individuality of the child, and huge staff turnover rate. I placed my child back in private school and experience a complete turn around in self esteem, behavior, and learning. I would not recommend BLRA for anyone until they get leadership that know what they are doing. Right now, I can't say that they got it together despite the rating you see above.

Posted May 18, 2009

I was very unhappy with this school when my son attended. I would NOT recommend this school to anyone! I was very involved in the school, PTA, and went to several board meetings. Being so active in the school I saw many things that appalled me. And I have been and always will be very active in my childs school!

Posted May 17, 2009

Excellent School, Administration, Facility, Faculty and Parents. Needs more District funding support.

Posted May 10, 2009

Great school, awesome teachers and great leadership from the top down! I'm guessing that the parents that complain about the school are not attending PTO or board meeting to address their issues. Please be active in your childrens school and attend these meetings and be involved.

Posted May 8, 2009

I have qickly fallen in love with this school. My two children are completing their first year at the school and have received excellent education and have had a tremendous experience. I can't say enough about the outstanding leadership of the principal and administration of the school. Absolutely amazing!

Posted May 5, 2009

My children have attended this school since it's opening. My experience is that the teachers do not treat the children respectfully. My kids are either not challenged enough or hate school because of the teachers or bullying from other kids. The few that are awesome are too little. I will be looking at another school for next year since I keep hoping forthe best. We are impressed with the all day kindergarten curriculum with Mrs. Vinchattle. One of our children is inthe gifted and talented and it consists of no real challenge except setting goals. There is no real GATE curriculum. Paragon is 90 minutes which is more than any other subject which I believe is backwards and more focus should be on math and language arts.

Posted May 4, 2009

Both my children are attending Banning Lewis Ranch Academy (one in Kindergarten and one in 4th grade). To help put things in perspective, both my children used to attend public school in D49 and both suffered setbacks because of bulleying and other safety issues that were not addressed and my oldest, who went through public school while in Kindergarten, could not write, read, or otherwise comprehend math. Since enrolling both my children at BLRA, my Kindergartner, who is in his final semester, can read Dr. Seuss books by himself, composes sentences with accurate punctuation, and has a fundamental understanding of math. My 4th grader has accelled into the Gifted & Talented program, attends extra-curricular class at the University of Colorado and has just been accepted to the National Honor Society. I can't say enough great things about this school, its faculty & leadership!!!

Posted May 4, 2009

LOVE IT! My kids have been here for 3 years and have truly bloomed at this school. The world culture curriculum is fantastic and helps our kids get a global view of our world. The staff and administration are out of this world. High recommend!!!!

Posted May 2, 2009

I went to BLRA for all three years it has been open and i absolutly loved it! it was the best school i have been in! i just had to move to new mexico and it was pretty much heart breaking to have to leave.... I was in the 8th grade when i left... The teachers were the best! Mr. Dahlman, Mr. Vinchattle, Mr.Mavel, Mrs. Conder, Mr.Bonner, Mr.Dinnil, and Mr.Parker for the best 3 years of school ever! i will Never forget it!
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 12, 2009

My child has been in two other schools before attending Banning Lewis and I never realized what a big difference a great school and staff can make. Since we have come to Banning Lewis we were welcomed in and felt at home. The coursework challenges my child to think at a high level and he often challenges me with his advanced thinking from concepts learned at Banning Lewis. The extra-curricular activities at BLRA are expansive and my son loves the opportunities here, at BLRA.

Posted February 12, 2009

This school really cares about my childs education. When my sons teacher had a concern about my son struggling in a topic in math she gave me a review packet to help him and made me aware of tutoring she was going to offer (free). I continue to see this type of behavior from other teachers, the principal, Mr Dinnel, Dean, Mr Parker and other staff members. Thank you BLRA!!!

Posted February 12, 2009

Wow, I have never seen a Charter school that offers so many programs to their students and families. They have sports programs, clubs (ski, guitar, chess, enviromental, art, spanish, band, choir, spelling bee, yearbook, student council, etc.) Plus they have a gifted and talented program, Jr. Honory Society, and a great education is offered to every student. BLRA has their own School Board, Sports Booster club and Parent Teacher Org.(PTO). I am very happy with BLRA

Posted February 7, 2009

This school requires a commitment from parents to participate in their child's education. This includes everything from homework being completed to school uniform is being worn. The parents that have involved themselves in this school have gone above and beyond in helping this school provide extras for the students and staff. I would recommend this school to any parent who wants their child to excel and is willing to be involved. If you are looking for 8hours of babysitting then look elsewhere.

Posted January 29, 2009

My son had a horrible experience at BLRA. He was not taught to his ability and became bored and acted up. Discipline was not appropriate and he started to believe that he was bad. I pulled him out mid semester and he is now very happy at his new school and has shown an immediate improvement in behavior. I regret not removing him sooner!

Posted January 25, 2009

BLRA's Paragon curriculum is a unique experience for your child to expand his/her knowledge far beyond what traditional core schools can offer. My 3 children have learned alot in a short time here at BLRA and when meeting with their friends from other schools the difference is obvious. As with any school, the more your student applies him/herself the more they will learn what a richly diverse and eductaionally deep this school is. My children and I love it! The teachers and staff know their material and how to teach the students in a challenging environment here. We're here to stay.

Posted January 18, 2009

Do your homework before enrolling your child in this school. The staff, from the teachers to the principal leadership are more concerned about state testing than the education provided to the children, as an attempt to raise their reputation, being a fairly new school. They still have a long way to go. If your child does not meet their curriculum, he/she will have a hard time at this school because teachers are more concern about the curriculum that the children's education.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students85%

Students without disabilities70%
Proficient in English65%
Neither migrant nor immigrant65%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 11%N/A41%
Male 53%N/A51%
Female 47%N/A49%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • District 49 School of Distinction (2007)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
surrounding areas and districts

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
district 49 high schools