Public charter
Colorado Springs, CO
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

BLRA 2008 Fall Parent Survey Results Total Score 9.11 Overall child s experience 9.12 Principal / CAO - Satisfaction 9.21 Teacher - Satisfaction 9.38 Overall discipline practices 9.24 Overall communication for student progress 8.89 Likelihood to recommend school to others 8.84 Ratings are based on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 means Strongly Disagree , and 10 means Strongly Agree.
February 12, 2009

Posted September 02, 2014
Banning Lewis Ranch Academy is a great school. Our kids have been attending since kindergarten. We love the school community, the teachers, and the administration team. It can't be easy running a school these days. There is a lot being asked of our teachers and administrators. I feel our kids are safe, they're definitely learning a lot, and they have great friends. I really like the focus the school has taken to character education too. Wish more of the positive parents would get involved. The negative ones take away from the good parts of the school.

Posted June 03, 2014
Ive attended Banning Lewis since the opening (06) and am currently in seventh grade. For the first 4 years of attending, I found the staff to be very caring and kept a good eye on the students. It wasnt until middle school where bullying had gotten completely out of hand. It would take constant reminders for the teachers or principal to acknowledge my complaints, as well as my parents. Not to mention, there were large amounts of foul language from students, as well as occasional swearing from teachers. I found that my needs were not payed attention to enough, and that unless you constantly remind the staff about bullying or academic issues, they wont pay attention. Within the past 2 years, the only teachers that met my needs and put student needs first, were Mrs. Mavel and Mr. Como. Within the past two years I have found the teachers to be inconsistent with the uniform policy where one teacher will say its okay for you to wear a pair of black tights, and than another teacher will give you a uniform violation for them. However, I found the learning curriculum to be fun to learn, and have found my self exceeding drastically. Sadly, I am no longer attending due to these issues.

Posted January 26, 2014
This school is great I have 3 children in Banning Lewis right now I had 4 kids there last year The teachers are good and do care If your student is getting a bad grade they email right away to let you know so that you can talk with your kid and take action Every day the teachers are available after school to help students if they are struggling The teachers will contact you ask if your student can stay after school for tutoring If your students grades still are suffering Then they will ask for a intervention For parents and student to meet with all the teachers your student has to set up a plan for success The teachers are helpful standard of learning is high which is great My son entered in kindergarten last year and began reading in kindergarten I have 3 other older sons that went to a different kindergarten and hadn't learned to read didn't start to learn sight words or essentials to start reading I can stand out side the school waiting for my son And not hear a bunch of junior high kids cussing up a storm along with other inappropriate talk At my 12 year olds last school this was a regular everyday thing Banning Lewis Ranch Academy is K-8 I really like the environment.

Posted December 03, 2013
It's a nice looking school but other than that, This is not the school it was 5 years ago. Administrative staff is mediocre at best. I've had 2 children go here and each year got progressively worse. The school overall doesn't offer support for struggling students and their parents. Teachers don't last (not the good ones anyways) here and the ones they have do not communicate with parents. The administrators focus on trivial issues while ignoring real issues that go on in their school. I would not recommend this school to any parent that expects a school to support and encourage their child.

Posted April 03, 2013
This is a wonderful school and has really supported all three of my children (K, 3rd, 6th grades) academically. The middle school recently achieved a grade of A on the state ranking system (coloradoschoolgrades.com), of which there are only a handful in the Colorado Springs area. Elementary received a B with improvement over previous years. Attitudes are positive, teachers are engaged. Parent involvement is mandatory. This is our first year here and I could not be happier that my kids went to this school.

Banning Lewis Ranch Academy 4

Posted January 21, 2013
The school is great, but it is time to get a new administrator, he has no idea what he is doing and he is losing great teacher because of it. He tries to run the school as a dictator and only his voice is to be heard. My daughters have gone here for 3 years and he get worse each year. My daughter has had 3 teacher in 1 year, ridiculous!

Banning Lewis Ranch Academy 4

Posted October 30, 2012
My son has been attending BLRA since the day the doors opened. He started there in kindergarten and is now a 6th grader. While the school has had its ups and downs and growing pains throughout the years, I would most definitely recommend BLRA to anyone. I do miss the old CAO, Mr. Dinnel, as I thought he was much more engaged in the school, but Mr. Franko is doing a good job. We've only had a bad experience with one teacher, who is thankfully gone now. The support staff is incredible. I also love the overall tone of the school and the sense of community. Parents are very involved. Yes, there are required volunteer hours, but most parents have no problem going above and beyond that just to be a part of their child's school and education. We recently moved into another school district and my son was given the option to go to a standard public school, wear jeans every day and walk to school. He declined. He enjoys his time at BLRA. He feels supported and like he's a part of something there. And when it comes time for his little brother to start kindergarten, he will most certainly be enrolled at BLRA. I just hope the proposed high school is up and running in time!!

Posted June 26, 2012
The teachers have been fantastic for our children, going out of their way to help our son who needs a little extra attention. There is a wonderful community feel to the school.

Posted May 23, 2012
We move every 2 1/2 years. My 8th grader has been in a lot of schools. his one was just awful for us. My special needs second grader did not get what she needed there, and my older daughter was treated terribly by the teachers. The teachers and staff lack experience. The principal is removed from what goes on, and th curriculum isn't the greatest. The teacher's inexperience and the principal's lack of involvement made our time there horrible. Very glad Colorado offers the school of choice program.

Posted March 14, 2012
BLRA is an impressive school. My oldest has been attending for a few years and I am constantly impressed by the quality of education she recieves. It is obvious the teachers and administrators are tuned into what kids need. Things have shifted quite a bit over the years, but I like the fact that BLRA is willing to try new things. Education has changed so much, but BLRA keeps learning fun for kids in a high stakes world. I want a GREAT education for my children and I get it at BLRA! It would be nice to see the parent community show appreciation for those who work so hard for our kids.

Banning Lewis Ranch Academy
7094 Cottonwood Tree Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80927
Last modified Banning Lewis Ranch Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Banning Lewis Ranch Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 74 reviews. Top