Pikes Peak Prep

Charter | K-12 | 350 students

Our school is a K-12, Core Knowledge, Blended Learning and Early College Model

School Official Point of View

Posted November 6, 2013

Pikes Peak Prep is completing it's 9th successful year of operation. The school has made the federal mandated academic goals (AYP) 8 out of 9 years. This past year, we launched a series of improvements at the school including installing a new blended learning model that is teacher led and computer assisted. The program is rigorous and not for all students as it does require responsibility from students and support from parents. The Core Knowledge-based curriculum allows for parents, teachers, and students to know exactly which standards and skills are needed to be mastered in order to move to the next grade level. The school can now provide real time objective data on each student's progress. I'm pleased to report that most students and parents have embraced this new model. Another initiative at PPP has been to implement the national recognized System for Teacher and Student Advancement (TAP). This program provides extensive professional development for teachers and focuses staff on student achievement. PPP is the first and currently the only charter school in Colorado Springs implementing TAP. The state of Colorado provided a $50,000 grant to PPP to implement this program. PPP was the only charter school in the state to receive this competitive grant. PPP also launched a new "robotics" program this year to strengthen its science, technology, engineering and math program. The students are loving it. This week, PPP is launching a new after school tutoring program that seeks to provide students additional assistance in math and language arts. In addition to all these improvements, PPP launched a new night time high school, Pikes Peak Middle College, to assist students who have challenges attending a traditional day time high school but still want to earn their high school degree (not GED) AND go to college. PPMC students receive the same benefits as our day time students as the school pays for college tuition and college textbooks and provides staff support to each student. Currently, more than 30% of PPP high school students have qualified to take college level courses while attending PPP. Students at PPP are beating the state average on ACT in college algebra and college biology. Although PPP is a young school, we've graduated one students who earned his Associate Degree while attending PPP and many of our graduates earn at least 30 college credits while attending PPP. This program teaches PPP students that they can indeed go to college and be successful. It also saves families lots of money as they don't have to pay for the first or second year of college while students attend PPP. Lastly, the school launched a new AP program to support those students who want to prepare for college but not take a college level class just yet. All of these improvements can be challenging and cause some parents to get antsy and pull their students. We understand this. However, the world is constantly changing today, new technology, new demands, new accountability measures. PPP is focused on providing the best and most up-to-date education as possible to prepare students to be successful in this ever-changing highly demanding world. Come join our family. We welcome you.

Posted August 23, 2013

Pikes Peak Prep is filled with people who truly care about the kids and eachother. Everyone is committed to making the school experience one that will excite our kids about their education, both now and later, when college years are approaching.Good choice for kids, good choice for parents. Excellent college opportunities, while still in high school.

Posted August 23, 2013

This's a great place to study. This school really cares about students and their achievements. The staff is very pleasant and nice. There is a lot of exiting classes this school provides. You can actually attend college classes and get real credits while you're in High School. Totally friendly and safe environment.

Posted July 3, 2013

I don't know where to begin talking about this "school." I'm a former student (I went to Pikes Peak Prep for seventh and eighth grade) who consistently got A's and kept out of trouble. I hate to sound pompous, but now I go to one of the best schools in the state and I do very well there. It's been over a year since I was enrolled at Pikes Peak Prep, so admittedly some of my opinions could be irrelevant now. But from my experience, the work load is minimal, the material itself is laughable, a lot of the teachers are lazy and couldn't care less, students are (sometimes) controlled and restrained out of fear, not respect; punishments are hardly effective and end up doing more bad than good, many of the kids are poorly disciplined, have little self-control, and are, for lack of a less offensive term, a bit dull; the lunches are barely more than edible, the physical education is a joke, and picking your kid up from school is unnecessarily arduous. As for the good qualities of this school, they're outweighed by the bad. However, a couple of the teachers are very good at their job. They teach you practical ideas and really help you apply them to the real world.

Posted June 21, 2013

My daughter attended K and 1st grade at PPP. We had a great experience and my daughter is now above her grade level in reading and math. Thank you Ms. C.R. and Ms. C.M.

Posted May 10, 2013

My kids go here and they are excelling. The school has gone through a lot of changes in the last few years, however it is better than ever. There is new leadership that is making a positive difference in the schools traditions and culture. Academics are excellent because of the dedicated staff. I would definitely recommend this school.

Posted April 23, 2013

My 2 kids have been at this school for 3 years and I have to say that Pikes Peak Prep has seriously let my kids down academically. In my sons freshman year they did not teach Algebra 1, instead they taught consumer math, which is not needed. Then decided that algebra 1 would be taught in the senior year AFTER algebra 2. Plus this year my son had the top GPA in the 10th grade and when tested for entrance to a top school, his scores said he should be going into the 9th grade. And if he did summer school in english and math and passed algebra 1 they would let him into the 10th grade, which he is about to finish at Pikes Peak. My daughter tested better but will still have to take summer school and probably struggle in the 9th grade. The kids get no homework and it shows. Both my kids say they aren't learning anything. Beware!

Posted April 4, 2013

My experience is based on 2 years of 1 child attending this school. There are definite benefits and deterrents. In general, the teachers are engaged and truly try to connect with students. However, with the seemingly high turnover rate of teachers/staff and personal observations of staff visibly upset over "school business", I question administration. I personally have experienced problems with school coordination, communication, staff attitudes, unresponsiveness, and staff saying one thing and doing another, or not following through on suggestions/improvements made and agreed upon. For a school that has been operating for several years, I'm amazed at the common disorganization/lack of planning and variable/unpredictable nature of things like student drop off/pickup, after school on/off-site activities, bussing, and school organized activities. I think a small group of staff/teachers do want to provide quality and varied activities for students but there aren't enough interested people (incl. students/parents) to pull much of anything together. In general my kid enjoys PPP and has excelled but I don't feel confident in PPP. I will be enrolling my kids somewhere else next yr.

Posted November 28, 2012

Great staff. Great technology. Engineering Program. Early college. And it's K-12 so all my kids can attend.

Posted January 18, 2012

This is my childrens' second year at this school. And, they are doing so well academically, but the leadership, communication and accountability need to be worked on. Right now, they have a leadership "team" that I have yet to see respond to issues. Ever since they fired the principal early in the school year, they have been barely staying a float. I feel like any concern I bring to the attention of the leadership, that I am getting pawned off on someone else. Nobody can answer a simple question because they honestly don't know the answer. I find it odd that they have students and teachers rating this school on this site, and giving it positive praise, when the morale among the teachers has started to drop as well. We are definitely jumping from this sinking ship at the end of this school year to never return. I'm also advising all of my friends and those new to the area to stay away from this school!

Posted August 8, 2011

Pikes Peak Prep has a long ways to go to live up to its hype. The first step that must be taken is for the school leader to be truthful to the parents that are at her school. It is run as a very tight ship, the small short hallways at the school are tightly controlled so no speaking above whispers is allowed. The main method of conflict resolution with students is suspension. There is also a strong push at the school as mandated by the elite school board for many more students, probably doubling class size. I found that the education here is good, the teachers are well qualified but the administration sees the students as money not as people. When the principle lied to me for the 3rd time about increasing my sons educational challenges to keep him from being bored, his mom and I moved him to a D11 school with a much better track record and a much better educational environment. I would be very cautious about enrolling my child here and document all conversations with school officials.

Posted July 13, 2011

My children had a terrific year at Pikes Peak Prep. I love the culture of this school. Every single person from the Principal, the teachers, even the janitor really show they care about kids. The principal personally tutored my daughter so she would catch up. I really like the code of conduct this school has. They do not allow students to bully or say put downs, like other schools do. They teach and show respect. Parents feel welcomed and appreciated at this school. Any time I stop by my childrens teachers and the principal greet us and make a point to talk with me and my husband. I like the way decisions are made for what is best for all the students. My children love the school and they made amazing growth! This is the best school, all kids should be this lucky. I want to thank all the staff and especially the principal.

Posted April 17, 2011

Pikes Peak Prep is a wonderful school. The teachers are dedicated to their students and work collaboratively to ensure that all students achieve academic success.The small environment and K-12 experience allows all students to feel part of a community.

Posted April 12, 2011

Great music program and a safe environment with a hard working staff. Small and personal, a tight community.

Posted April 11, 2011

...I have been going to Pikes Peak Prep for about 2 years and I can honestly say it's one great school! At PPP I am able to have free breakfast,which is a good thing because it helps you stay focused all day. The staff are happy to help a student at any time. The teachers really care about the students and always have time for us.In conclusion, I believe that this school is the BEST EVER!!!

Posted April 10, 2011

This is the best school. We are military and have two kids who were behind because we have moved around a lot. My children have been in many schools already, but I love this school, The teachers at Pikes Peak Prep worked hard to bring my kids up. But this is the first school where the principal spent time helping them with reading and math. She is great. She always responds immediately to my calls and helps with everything. She taught my daughter how to sound the words out and use clues from the reading. The school has such a nice friendly feeling. All the teachers and the principal show they care about the children. The school has some really neat programs like art, music, and Spanish. I like how the school communicates with parents. They have monthly newsletters, weekly grade reports, and the principal sends out emails and calls the parents for important information. My kids are so happy in this school. Every morning they wake up and cannot wait to go. This is because all the staff work so hard.and are so nice. My daughters are caught up and are even doing some work in higher grades now. This is a miracle considering they were behind when we came to Colorado.

Posted April 1, 2011

This school is amazing. The entire staff is dedicated to the students. They committ themselves fully to making these students successful. This is a small, initimate environment where the staff knows the students and their families. The music program is offered to all students who attend (K-12). All students are provided instruments without a cost to the family. After school private music lessons are provided to the students for FREE. The high school offers a Middle College Program in which students can take college classes at Pikes Peak Community College - the cost - FREE. Therefore, student can graduate from Pikes Peak Prep with an Associates Degree. Families should explore the charter school system. There are a lot of great options including Pikes Peak Prep.

Posted March 30, 2011

This school is a great find. The classrooms sizes are small and the school is a community. Students are known by name and the teachers are passionate, energetic, and knowledgeable. This school welcomes all children that want to learn and provides a safe environment for every student. This school has an amazing music program, with free instruments, and offers intermural sports. Free tutoring is available twice a week and a variety of clubs once a week. A middle college program is also offered with free college classes at Pikes Peak Community College. Overall this school is a well rounded, small, inviting K-12 FREE charter school. Come visit today!

Posted March 30, 2011

I am a currently enrolled student at Pike Peak Prep and I truly believe that this school has changed my attitude toward learning and education. Since I started here last year I have never achieved lower than a B average in all of my classes. In fact, I was nominated to attend a conference in Washington D.C due to my academic achievements! Next year I will be attending college classes during my current enrollment and will graduate high school with college credits. Any high school student can excel at this school and I encourage anyone who wants to reach academic greatness to visit our school!

Posted March 30, 2011

I am currently enrolled at Pikes Peak Prep as a Sophmore. This is my second year at Pikes Peak Prep and I love this school. There is nothing else I could ask for, this school is a small safe environment where my Mother feels safe dropping me of every day. Now let me tell you about the teachers and the staff. If I had to choose one word to describe them I honestly COULDN'T, so I would have to say they are awesome, caring, loving, and always there for you. The Counselor is the best of the best so dont get jealous, its just the truth. There are many good things about this school, for example the free after-school tutoring, and free music classes. There's much more but you'll just have to find out on your own.

Posted March 30, 2011

I am a student at Pikes Peak Prep, and I really have been enjoying my time here. I really like the teachers and I like the students. I feel super smart now that I switched schools two years ago to this school. That is because I have excellent teachers. I really like how everyone wears uniforms, so there is no reason to pick on people or focus on clothes rather then academics.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students38%

Students without disabilities32%
Proficient in English33%
Neither migrant nor immigrant30%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A41%
Male 45%N/A51%
Female 55%N/A49%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school charter schools
public schools
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 30% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 30% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 30% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 10% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Pikes Peak Community College
UCCS
UC Boulder
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Governor's Award for Excellence (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Brian Humphries
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • on line and college courses
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • We offer college classes

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Boys and Girls Club

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom