School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This school is constantly making improvements and encouraging students to think beyond high school. The Class of 2016 graduated with an average of 14 college credits each. And 100% graduated on time. This year, with Mike Miles serving as CEO, the school has hired a principal who has served as assistant superintendent for Falcon District 49 and was responsible for special ed and gifted programs, as well as an experienced high school principal. The school will offer longer school days and a longer school year and has increased teacher pay to be among the best in Colorado Springs this year. To get the best teachers you have to pay more. Pikes Peak Prep is commited to providing an excellent education to our community.
June 21, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I have pulled my Kindergartener after the unfortunate events in this school. They balance the budget by "Letting go" the teacher and keeping high paid admin. 3 of them in a small school. This is about children NOT dollars!

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

School gets out at 3:15. My son's ride doesn't get there till 4. Between 4 and 4:30 they could not find my son (7yrs). He had wandered off school grounds with another student without any adults noticing. The staff was extremely rude to the parent that picked him up. I don't feel like this is a safe place for my child to stay at since they obviously cannot handle watching a child till their ride comes. There excuse btw was they can't have a teacher at every door -_-. We are pulling my son out of this school and finding anther to place him in

This school is a disaster. No one can get a straight answer on anything. Administrators do not communicate well with both students and parents. Getting my kids out before count day because they deserve better! Beware the lies and false promises!

Where do I Start, i am a ex-parent of a student who was bullied and stabbed in the neck . No one borad members principal would speak with us. the nurse called to inform me of the incident. Fast forward this past May the whole staff was fired believe the principal requested a pay increase and the all hell broke all the staff was fired. After posting a picture on facebook with some students in it a mother of the has gone psycho and has been emailing me very inappropriate comments about the Founder of the GEo. U CALLED TO SPEAK WIYH mike Miles and he never returned my phone call. NOTHING NEW THERE. YOU CAN CALL THE Chater school Institute in Denver to report any complaints PPP they over see PPP. The best of the worst Sunrise Es in Widefield Dist 3 is just as bad. Good luck

Second week of school and my kids hate it. My children have been there 3 years, straight A students never any issues. The teachers are fine, I wish I would have read up on Mike Miles before re enrolling my children back at PPP. He runs around the school talking to the highschoolers like they are at boot camp. He demands respect from them and all the rules are ridicules. He is defenetly more concerned about being a warden then the actual education of the students. Will be looking for another school. I know 3 other parents who are already looking for other school options.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Music, Social Studies, English were fine. Math and Science were lacking. Teacher turnover is very high.

Amount of homework: Disagree

She tested below her grade level in math at 2 other schools. I know she wasn't being taught at her grade level. She was in the high math class at PPP.

Develops character: Disagree

There is no discipline or incentive in the classrooms for these students to behave with integrity.

I first put my daughter here in third grade. At this time, there were several sports, after school clubs, and Spanish taught to students. Class size was about 20-24 and the teachers were so caring. I had help from staff when my daughter was bullied. My daughter, now Middle School age, never had a piece of homework all year. Straight A's though. There were concerns at the beginning of the year when a beloved staff member was unfairly released. Things quickly went downhill from there. My daughter would come home from school with headaches as her class was so loud and unruly. The teachers in any class couldn’t control them long enough to teach proper lessons. In my opinion, whoever gave this school 5 stars is a friend of a staff member or it was from years ago. I have heard and seen staff acting unprofessional and showing favoritism. My daughter would come home to tell me about staff incidents. There are special teachers, Mr. Navarro was great, Ms. Rahn, Ms Levicki and Miss R (art) but I hear there was a great many that either quit or were fired. By January we had had enough and began to seek other schools. During this process my daughter had to test for her skills. Imagine my dismay to find out my daughter was a year behind in math compared to Vanguard and James Irwin. Those schools asked if she was having problems in math, but she had all “A’s.” When she shadowed at these schools, she was so impressed how quiet the classrooms were compared to PPP and how the kids were there to learn instead of being loud and needing attention like at PPP. I put her in summer school at Vanguard and she learned a year’s worth of math in 6 weeks at their intense summer program. Thank goodness, she was accepted and will be there this fall. No regrets leaving this “school” where many parents are going to be surprised about when their child’s education isn’t up to par.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school is unethical. They fired the two admin on the last day because they didn't want to pay them over the summer. As a parent I have volunteered often items in the building and now i just found out that they hired Mikes Miles. I worked in D-2 before as it was awful because of Miles. Stay away!! So disappointing.

Last modified Pikes Peak Prep is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.