Public charter
Colorado Springs, CO
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Pikes Peak Prep is completing it's 9th successful year of operation. The school has made the federal mandated academic goals (AYP) 8 out of 9 years. This past year, we launched a series of improvements at the school including installing a new blended learning model that is teacher led and computer assisted. The program is rigorous and not for all students as it does require responsibility from students and support from parents. The Core Knowledge-based curriculum allows for parents, teachers, and students to know exactly which standards and skills are needed to be mastered in order to move to the next grade level. The school can now provide real time objective data on each student's progress. I'm pleased to report that most students and parents have embraced this new model. Another initiative at PPP has been to implement the national recognized System for Teacher and Student Advancement (TAP). This program provides extensive professional development for teachers and focuses staff on student achievement. PPP is the first and currently the only charter school in Colorado Springs implementing TAP. The state of Colorado provided a $50,000 grant to PPP to implement this program. PPP was the only charter school in the state to receive this competitive grant. PPP also launched a new "robotics" program this year to strengthen its science, technology, engineering and math program. The students are loving it. This week, PPP is launching a new after school tutoring program that seeks to provide students additional assistance in math and language arts. In addition to all these improvements, PPP launched a new night time high school, Pikes Peak Middle College, to assist students who have challenges attending a traditional day time high school but still want to earn their high school degree (not GED) AND go to college. PPMC students receive the same benefits as our day time students as the school pays for college tuition and college textbooks and provides staff support to each student. Currently, more than 30% of PPP high school students have qualified to take college level courses while attending PPP. Students at PPP are beating the state average on ACT in college algebra and college biology. Although PPP is a young school, we've graduated one students who earned his Associate Degree while attending PPP and many of our graduates earn at least 30 college credits while attending PPP. This program teaches PPP students that they can indeed go to college and be successful. It also saves families lots of money as they don't have to pay for the first or second year of college while students attend PPP. Lastly, the school launched a new AP program to support those students who want to prepare for college but not take a college level class just yet. All of these improvements can be challenging and cause some parents to get antsy and pull their students. We understand this. However, the world is constantly changing today, new technology, new demands, new accountability measures. PPP is focused on providing the best and most up-to-date education as possible to prepare students to be successful in this ever-changing highly demanding world. Come join our family. We welcome you.
November 6, 2013

Posted December 19, 2014
Dear Mr. Navarro, I want to take a moment to thank you for your extensive and meaningful work in developing last night s music program. You expertly highlighted the musical learning that was occurring across all grade levels (K-12). As a mom of two of your students, I delighted in their performances. Seeing my third grade son, Elijah, step out of his comfort zone and sing in front of the huge audience was powerful. Likewise, watching my fifth grade daughter, Amber, joyfully participate throughout the rendition of the Little Drummer Boy was such fun. Additionally, you expertly facilitated the transitions by entertaining the audience minimizing challenging audience behaviors. In our family s experience, this program was the most inclusive and purposefully choreographed.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 21, 2014
This is an awesome school, the staff is great. They strive to make sure all scholars succeed...

Posted October 21, 2014
Pikes Peak Prep is a great school, my children love the teachers. My kindergartner is in Mrs. Alabdujalil's class, she is a great teacher and definitely her education and experience shows when working with these little guys. My 7th grader is very happy and thriving well here at PPP. Mrs. Atencio the principal is a true leader, always available to parents feedback.

Posted August 25, 2014
Wow! What an incredible difference a year makes! We decided to give PPP one more year because my daughter loves her teachers and friends, and we seriously couldn't be happier. I was able to bring another family over from a bad experience in D-2 and they love it. It seems like everyone is happy kids are off to a good start. I walked in the other day and so many teachers were there to greet my daughter with handshakes and hugs. So glad we stayed.

Posted August 11, 2014
I have been at Pikes Peak Prep for 4 years. The first 3 were AMAZING. Until they introduced us to Odyssey. This is such a terrible program! It's so easy to cheat the system, and it's like your never being taught by the teachers! They just sat around and assigned you to computers. One of the teachers, (not going to say who) would ALYWAYS treat the older (9th grade+) better than us, younger ones. Anyways, as I was saying, I am very disappointed to say.. I didn't learn a whole lot in my 7th grade year. I am now switching to North Middle School, and I already love it! The teachers are very professional, unlike the ones here, at Pikes Peak Prep. I feel like I can actually do better this year, as an 8th grader. Parents, please think twice before sending your child here. There aren't any electives for 8th grade and under. As a 7th grader, we only got gym ONCE a week while 9th grade got 4 days a week. These teachers may have you believing its going to be the BEST school.. But it's not. There are tons of bullying problems at this school. It's awful! The teachers can NOT teach. I would honestly look into another school.

Posted August 06, 2014
Pikes Peak Prep is leading the way when it comes to student AND teacher advancement. I have never seen or heard of a school that truly cares for its student body and teachers as much as Pikes Peak Prep. I encourage everyone to give PPP a look!

Posted August 04, 2014
This school is an awful excuse for a charter school. Reverse racism is almost promoted here (that would be where white kids get negative treatment and bullied). My teen was stolen from multiple times during class hours, there is NO supervision. I actually got a letter from my 3rd grader's teacher explaining that the year was such a mess, if my kid did work -at all- then she received full credit...How exactly is that a "quality" education? The volunteer parents have no control over the children, you may as well send your child to public school, there is NO difference here. I decided to yank both of my children out after only 2 semesters, as none of my concerns were heeded and the principal spends all of her time in Denver instead of mentoring her kids and making sure her staff does their jobs.

Posted May 28, 2014
I just read the previous posting. As a parent, I have no idea why someone would write a terrible posting about a school that is on the verge of awesome. To get a real feel for a school, you must visit and see the great teachers in action and the terrific things it has to offer our kids. I have two that attend and look forward to my third beginning kindergarten next year.

Posted May 23, 2014
Pike Peak Prep is by far the worst school in the Colorado Springs area. The teachers are over worked the Odyessy on line program is wacked. They now have a Watch DOGS Dad program who is the hired help to keep the students in line. No teaching instruction and the only thing the GEO Foundation and the school board care about is all the state and federal grants money they can get for low income high risk students and families. Truly a dreadful place your students are not safe there.

Posted May 08, 2014
Love this school! Great staff who cares deeply about my two daughters. Thank you Pikes Peak Prep.

Pikes Peak Prep
525 East Costilla St, Colorado Springs, CO  80903
Last modified Pikes Peak Prep is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pikes Peak Prep Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top