School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This school is constantly making improvements and encouraging students to think beyond high school. The Class of 2016 graduated with an average of 14 college credits each. And 100% graduated on time. This year, with Mike Miles serving as CEO, the school has hired a principal who has served as assistant superintendent for Falcon District 49 and was responsible for special ed and gifted programs, as well as an experienced high school principal. The school will offer longer school days and a longer school year and has increased teacher pay to be among the best in Colorado Springs this year. To get the best teachers you have to pay more. Pikes Peak Prep is commited to providing an excellent education to our community.
June 21, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Another leadership team fired or 'let go' at this charter school. Serious issues! A new CEO wasn't the answer.

Teachers are a direct source of influence and adults in a position of trust. The school did hire, albeit temporarily, good teachers that the students liked and responded well to like Mr. Ron Pollard and have retained teachers with excellent characters like Ms. Madeleine (gym). Therefore, not all PPP teachers resort to using intimidation and other fear tactics, like demeaning the children, but the teachers assigned to my children exhibit this behavior habitually. This example of poor leadership can and will continually only foster angry or sad children who dislike school, institutional learning environments, and may harbor resentment for teachers in general. My child's poor performance directly correlates to their experience in elementary school and is their educational foundation, essential building blocks for an attitude toward lifelong learning. It is understandable that teachers may become overwhelmed and frustrated. Everyone has a certain limitation but the teachers need to better demonstrate how to deal with those emotions. Children should never be used as a teacher's personal emotional punching bag, PPP teachers and administrators, this is also a form of bullying. This review is directed toward the teachers of second and third grade specifically. They impose a negative impact the children's remaining years in education, their character development and possibly their position in society now and into adulthood. These teachers have yet to demonstrate the school's core character forming "7-Habits of Success"in front of the children of parents. The characters of the teachers needs to exceed that of the children, especially when demonstrating how to respond appropriately in difficult circumstances. The theory that more pay = better teachers is failing this administration and doing a disservice to the children, parents and community members since the children are modeling the same behaviors of frustration and character discord that is demonstrated by these teachers. Please take this as a learning opportunity for PPP elementary school teachers and administrators, but not at the expense of my children. We will be dis-enrolling.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

School gets out at 3:15. My son's ride doesn't get there till 4. Between 4 and 4:30 they could not find my son (7yrs). He had wandered off school grounds with another student without any adults noticing. The staff was extremely rude to the parent that picked him up. I don't feel like this is a safe place for my child to stay at since they obviously cannot handle watching a child till their ride comes. There excuse btw was they can't have a teacher at every door -_-. We are pulling my son out of this school and finding anther to place him in

This school is a disaster. No one can get a straight answer on anything. Administrators do not communicate well with both students and parents. Getting my kids out before count day because they deserve better! Beware the lies and false promises!

Where do I Start, i am a ex-parent of a student who was bullied and stabbed in the neck . No one borad members principal would speak with us. the nurse called to inform me of the incident. Fast forward this past May the whole staff was fired believe the principal requested a pay increase and the all hell broke all the staff was fired. After posting a picture on facebook with some students in it a mother of the has gone psycho and has been emailing me very inappropriate comments about the Founder of the GEo. U CALLED TO SPEAK WIYH mike Miles and he never returned my phone call. NOTHING NEW THERE. YOU CAN CALL THE Chater school Institute in Denver to report any complaints PPP they over see PPP. The best of the worst Sunrise Es in Widefield Dist 3 is just as bad. Good luck

Second week of school and my kids hate it. My children have been there 3 years, straight A students never any issues. The teachers are fine, I wish I would have read up on Mike Miles before re enrolling my children back at PPP. He runs around the school talking to the highschoolers like they are at boot camp. He demands respect from them and all the rules are ridicules. He is defenetly more concerned about being a warden then the actual education of the students. Will be looking for another school. I know 3 other parents who are already looking for other school options.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Music, Social Studies, English were fine. Math and Science were lacking. Teacher turnover is very high.

Amount of homework: Disagree

She tested below her grade level in math at 2 other schools. I know she wasn't being taught at her grade level. She was in the high math class at PPP.

Develops character: Disagree

There is no discipline or incentive in the classrooms for these students to behave with integrity.

I first put my daughter here in third grade. At this time, there were several sports, after school clubs, and Spanish taught to students. Class size was about 20-24 and the teachers were so caring. I had help from staff when my daughter was bullied. My daughter, now Middle School age, never had a piece of homework all year. Straight A's though. There were concerns at the beginning of the year when a beloved staff member was unfairly released. Things quickly went downhill from there. My daughter would come home from school with headaches as her class was so loud and unruly. The teachers in any class couldn’t control them long enough to teach proper lessons. In my opinion, whoever gave this school 5 stars is a friend of a staff member or it was from years ago. I have heard and seen staff acting unprofessional and showing favoritism. My daughter would come home to tell me about staff incidents. There are special teachers, Mr. Navarro was great, Ms. Rahn, Ms Levicki and Miss R (art) but I hear there was a great many that either quit or were fired. By January we had had enough and began to seek other schools. During this process my daughter had to test for her skills. Imagine my dismay to find out my daughter was a year behind in math compared to Vanguard and James Irwin. Those schools asked if she was having problems in math, but she had all “A’s.” When she shadowed at these schools, she was so impressed how quiet the classrooms were compared to PPP and how the kids were there to learn instead of being loud and needing attention like at PPP. I put her in summer school at Vanguard and she learned a year’s worth of math in 6 weeks at their intense summer program. Thank goodness, she was accepted and will be there this fall. No regrets leaving this “school” where many parents are going to be surprised about when their child’s education isn’t up to par.

Last modified Pikes Peak Prep is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.