Midland Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted January 17, 2014

My daughter is in Kindergarten this year at Midland and I couldn't ask for a better experience! Mrs. Shaw is the Kindergarten teacher there, and her smile literally is the most welcoming thing I have ever seen! She is crazy organized, sends home a binder full of information each day, and gives the students countless opportunities to not only grow academically, but also socially and emotionally. The entire community of Midland is unique because it is an I.B. school, meaning that they get to focus on what a learner looks like and look at other cultures across the world. I would never choose another school to send my kids to. This is by far the best Kindergarten experience a child could have! And I can't wait to have my daughter continue through the school because I can tell that the other teachers are great too! Mr. Cramer, the principal, is super friendly and treats all students with respect! Please come and check out this amazing school!

Posted August 11, 2013

My daughter was in Kindergarten last year and showed more progress in every aspect of her life than we could have imagined! The class size started out huge because of how amazing of a teacher Mrs. Shaw is, but then they split at semester so there was a smaller class size. Even with a big class size Mrs. Shaw did more amazing activities and performances than I could have imagined - it didn't feel like a huge class at all! But I have friends that have kids in older grades here as well, and they have nothing but great things to say. Mr. Cramer is a very personable principal, the teachers all care for ALL of the students, and the entire school is a positive and happy place to be. My daughter would be SO sad each day that they didn't have school - which feels good as a Mom! If you are looking for a school, Midland should really be on your top of your list! Kindergarten is amazing but any grade is amazing here too! You won't be sad!

Posted August 4, 2013

This school set my child off on SUCH a great foot! The I.B. program here is very strong, yet the school is very grounded in a lot of important academic principles. My son was in Kindergarten last year, and Miss Anderson (now Mrs. Shaw) really pushed him to grow more than I thought he ever could. To hear that my Kindergartener was typing stories, giving presentations, helping to make rubrics, and making persuasive speeches was astounding! Midland may not look as "fancy" on the outside, but I look forward to sending all of my children there as they grow! What a blessed place to learn and be! I am privileged to be a Midland parent!

Posted June 3, 2013

Love this School!!! I am sad to be leaving this Amazing school. My daughter started going to school here back in 2010 and we could not be more happy with her education or her social development! The staff and Principal are the best always involved always pushing the students to learn and to care for and respect one another. The award ceremonies the would have every month for the students were so much fun and so encouraging they would have all the kids cheer on there fellow classmates getting awards it was great! Love the small class sizes and the one on one the students get with their teachers. I have to give a big thanks to Mrs. York, Mrs. Fletcher, Mrs. Jernigan, Mrs. Estrada and Principal Jeremy Cramer. They maid this school more than just a school for us they maid this a place where I could feel good knowing my daughter was safe and getting the best education. The I.B program was new to me but I must say now that I know how it works I am looking forward to finding a school in California that has the I.B program because it has a great impact on the students. I am sad that we are leaving such a great school but we are so very thankful to have had Three great years here.

Posted August 6, 2012

My child just finished Kindergarten at Midland last year, and we could NOT be more excited to have him back at Midland for 1st grade! All of the teacher at Midland are very dedicated and the I.B. curriculum goes far beyond the normal academic environment. Mr. Cramer, their principal, is a very kind principal who treats all of the students with a lot of respect but still makes sure they are all working hard to do their best. The curriculum at Midland is innovative, creative, and differentiated to each student. My child loved having Miss Anderson last year and I feel he couldn't be more prepared to succeed in 1st grade. If you are looking for an elementary school for your child, don't be fooled by the fact that Midland is a small school or has had tough reviews previous to 2008. They are making a strong comeback to be one of the top schools in D11 and I am so proud to be a parent at this wonderful school. Please check it out! You won't be sorry.

Posted July 8, 2012

My son just finished Kindergarten at Midland and I couldn't be more impressed with how much he learned! Miss Anderson is by far the best Kindergarten teacher I have ever seen - I can't wait until my youngest gets to be Kindergarten age so we can have her again! Miss Anderson always had a smile but my son definitely knew the rules. My son came home reading books by the 3rd week and knew all of his I.B. attitude in this cute little cheer Miss Anderson created. The principal is great and the school is small enough for the kids to get individual attention. If you have a child going into Kindergarten, you definitely need to bring them to Midland and Miss Anderson. You won't be dissappointed!

Posted May 28, 2012

My daughter just finished Kindergarten and I am very pleased with this school. I love their IB program! They have a wonderful principal and very involved staff. My daughter has grown so much this year!

Posted May 24, 2012

We recently moved to the area and chose Midland out of myriad charter/private/public schools--my children were previously in an IB school. This past year I can tell my children have grown tremendously both academically and socially. The IB curriculum is being beautifully applied by obviously dedicated staff. My daughter's teacher this year was outstanding and I cannot thank her enough for her attentiveness in the midst of a family tragedy. The principal is always visible when I go to the school. Like I said, we chose this school out of all the options in CO SPGS and commute to do so, but the school has exceeded all our expectations.

Posted December 20, 2011

We recently had to move out of the area, and leaving Midland broke our whole family's heart! Fantastic curriculum, administration, and dedicated teachers have made our kids' education hard to top! We are now doing at home instruction, as we have been unable to find an equal to Midland's fantastic offerings!

Posted March 10, 2008

I took my child to this school because of the IB program. K was awesome, 1st grade was not. The music instruction is possibly the best in the state for elementary schools. So are the French and PE programs. Unfortunately I don't see much beyond that. Leadership is either lacking or a form of micro-management. I see stressed teachers and high turnover. I see misplaced priorities in administration. My child goes somewhere else now and I feel he gets a better education in spite of the absence of the IB program. Sorry, but a handful of great and dedicated teachers does not make for a good school. Leadership is needed as well, and Midland does not have it.

Posted May 30, 2007

Our family is opting out of Midland for next year. The IB program is a wonderful philosophy, but Midland is not really instituting the program anyway. The pricipal is not leading this school is a constructive manner. My child just finished 2nd grade and will not be returning next year. Teachers are often moved from one grade level to another from year to year. I think this is really hindering forward movement for the IB curriculum. Also, many of the good teachers have left the school.

Posted May 2, 2007

This school could be great, but the lack of involvement by the principal has really affected the learning environment at the school over the past few years. The teacher turn over is high. My daughter has gone since Kindergarten and she has had a new to the school teacher every year. Some years we have really lucked out and gotten a good teacher, but not always. If a good teacher does come in, our experience has been that they only last a year or so before a situation comes up and they do not come back the next year. The environment in the classrooms I have been in is generally tense and the teachers deal with a lot of behavioral issues rather than the school work. My daughter is in third grade and does not know her multiplication tables or cursive writing.

Posted May 27, 2005

Leaving 1st grade, my son tested at 3.8 reading level on his Adams 50 test. Academically, I couldn't be happier. As a community, I am very comfortable with my children spending their days at Midland. The staff here is amazing, and the IB program has been a blessing. I know that my son learns skills and attitudes that he would not learn elsewhere. We can talk about responsibility, and cooperation, and I know that he has a complete understanding of what these words mean. When I walk down Midland halls, I am proud of all the kids and the way that they hold themselves.

Posted February 23, 2004

I feel my children are doing really well in this school. The teachers are involved and the after school activities are really great.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students85%

Students without disabilities46%
Proficient in English48%
Neither migrant nor immigrant46%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 80%N/A41%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2110 West Broadway St