Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Agree

They need to learn as much as they can for the real world, they need all the education they can get before college

I'm starting school here tomarrow and I'm known new nervus Palmer wanted take me so I have go here I'm a senior I hope I really hope nothing goes wrong in m from Texas thought to be very respectful to teachers and if anything happens I don't want to be in that spot

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

They are ineffective because they don't undersand poverty. Not because they are not good teachers. Our programs have got to get more stricter and meet the needs of these students.

Amount of homework: Agree

We really need better AVID programs. My son still doesn't know how to organize or study that welll. We need low ratio so that the teacher can give one on one help.

Develops character: Disagree

Counslers are not effective here. They do not make sure the students are in the right courses. Students who may not have taken a day of Algebra may end up in a Algebra 4 class. They lie about what the teachers are going to do. These teachers look at you crazy. They expect your student to know the basics and forget turtoring. What a waste. Teacher's here wear so many other hats , even int tutoring the students are left alone not really being tutored.

I feel like Mitchell is a decent school however the teachers are not teaching the majority of the students at their level. Truth is yes this school has more kids on a elementary reading level but they are being taught over there head which caused many of them to have to attend summer school if they want to pass. I noticed that most kids who get retained end up dropping out of school all together. I feel like they teachers don't gel together. I also feel like you have more teachers who teach at a college level. There is alot of gangs, bullying and fights that go on here. I am pulling my son out no matter what this year because I know he is a smart kid and has the ability to learn and pass. Being in this trifling environment I feel has not corrupted him, but he so busy playing survival he struggles in this school. I noticed that the teachers from summer school are teachers who break down concepts and the kids get it!!!!! I asked where majority of these teachers teach. Most say Palmer or Doughtery. Now imagine that. These schools have had some problems with teen drugs and death but they still are the a couple of the best high schools in the local area. I am speaking from experience as a teacher. My oldest child went here and you would have think I would have learned. If it weren't due to having a house in the area I would have taken them both out. My student wants to attend college. It has been a very hard decision but I am moving without regret so that he has a chance to be in a school that will not let him fall through the cracks 1

I was nervous to put my daughter into this school because it is not in a good area of town. But I am happy with the school and the teachers. My daughter loves it there. She has made a lot of friends and her grades are good. They have a lot to offer.

From a teacher's point of view...My daughter taught at this school for a year and she said it was the worst experience she's ever had. She said most of the kids are at a fourth grade level education while many of them can hardly read or write. When she first started there, the other teachers warned her that she couldn't expect nearly the same things from these students as the other schools she had taught at and that they were strongly encouraged to pass them regardless of their grades so that Mitchell would not be shut down. The teachers would actually be reprimanded if they gave out too many failing grades. She also said that the parent involvement was terrible and that many of the kids were completely unruly and the school wouldn't back her when she tried to enforce discipline. Even the good students couldn't learn because of the behavior of the disruptive students. She would sometimes go home in tears because of her frustration. I believe a school should be accountable and people deserve to have the insider facts about this school, not just what parents and students see. If you value your child's education, don't send them to Mitchell.

I have to say we heard nohing but bad about Mitchell. But after my daughter going there for 3 years and graduating a year early. I think it is an awesome school. The teachers and new principle CARE about the kids. The school has went though lts of changes. I do not agree with the rating of a 3. My daughter loved it!!!! o you can't judge a school til you go there.

I am now a junior at Mitchell and I truly do not agree with the comments saying that it is a bad school. I have taken the hardest classes that I can and I have had major academic success. My teachers care about how I do in school and they encourage me to push myself to my highest potential. Just for the record, there is a lot of misunderstanding about the school. The area that the school was placed is not one of the best areas in town anymore, but that does not mean that the school is any worse than it used to be. There are multiple college level classes that you can get credit for from CU Denver. If you want to believe that this is a bad school I encourage you to take a tour and see the family that has grown out of the students and faculty. No school is perfect, but if you want a safer environment then I would highly recommend this school. It has a zero fighting policy and it does not have even half of the drug problems that many of the schools have in the rest of the springs. ( Yes that includes Pine Creek and Cheyenne Mountain)

Last modified Mitchell High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.