Colorado Springs, CO

Posted June 14, 2014
From a teacher's point of view...My daughter taught at this school for a year and she said it was the worst experience she's ever had. She said most of the kids are at a fourth grade level education while many of them can hardly read or write. When she first started there, the other teachers warned her that she couldn't expect nearly the same things from these students as the other schools she had taught at and that they were strongly encouraged to pass them regardless of their grades so that Mitchell would not be shut down. The teachers would actually be reprimanded if they gave out too many failing grades. She also said that the parent involvement was terrible and that many of the kids were completely unruly and the school wouldn't back her when she tried to enforce discipline. Even the good students couldn't learn because of the behavior of the disruptive students. She would sometimes go home in tears because of her frustration. I believe a school should be accountable and people deserve to have the insider facts about this school, not just what parents and students see. If you value your child's education, don't send them to Mitchell.

Posted June 12, 2014
I have to say we heard nohing but bad about Mitchell. But after my daughter going there for 3 years and graduating a year early. I think it is an awesome school. The teachers and new principle CARE about the kids. The school has went though lts of changes. I do not agree with the rating of a 3. My daughter loved it!!!! o you can't judge a school til you go there.

Mitchell High School 5

Posted January 13, 2013
I am now a junior at Mitchell and I truly do not agree with the comments saying that it is a bad school. I have taken the hardest classes that I can and I have had major academic success. My teachers care about how I do in school and they encourage me to push myself to my highest potential. Just for the record, there is a lot of misunderstanding about the school. The area that the school was placed is not one of the best areas in town anymore, but that does not mean that the school is any worse than it used to be. There are multiple college level classes that you can get credit for from CU Denver. If you want to believe that this is a bad school I encourage you to take a tour and see the family that has grown out of the students and faculty. No school is perfect, but if you want a safer environment then I would highly recommend this school. It has a zero fighting policy and it does not have even half of the drug problems that many of the schools have in the rest of the springs. ( Yes that includes Pine Creek and Cheyenne Mountain)

Posted March 06, 2012
-20...it is across the street from gang infested projects. We are moving so that my grandchildren will not be STUCK attending this sub-par excuse for a school. It is NOT a good school nor "MISUNDERSTOOD". Clean out the trash and Mitchell may have 1/2 a chance of being semi-decent.

Posted August 31, 2011
The principal can not write a complete sentence. That spells disaster for leadership. The teachers and principal did not follow through on plans to help my child. How am I supposed to show my student that doing school work is important to learning when the teachers gave him an A with half of the work missing? On July 11, 2011, a parent submitted that Mitchell "has the best JFROTC program." However these are some of the instructors who give As when major portions of work are missing. The instructors repeatedly failed to answer my emails about the situation. When they did answer, it was just empty assurances that they would make sure my student did his work. They didn't, and neither did he. This series of classes is supposed to teach acedemic responsibility and leadership, but completely fails at both. My wife and I also met with the principal to address my student's poor academic progress. We all agreed on a plan to address the situation. The next day, he met with my student, and told him something completely counter to what we had agreed. Again, my student was allowed to do nothing toward completing his work, and still get good grades as well as participate in activities.

Posted July 11, 2011
Mitchell High School is a great school. It is like all high schools with the occasional drama, but overall has a safe and caring learning environment. I would recommend this school to any family. Please don't listen to what others have to say, go by and check the school out for yourself. There is no perfect school. The staff will make sure your child receives an education if they want one. They are always willing to share their time, whether it is before, after, or during their personal time at school. It has the best JFROTC program in Colorado, with nearly 400 students enrolled, and they offer many other opportunities for your child to get involved with. The population is very diverse, the students love that about the school. The best way to ensure your child a great high school experience is to get involved with their school.

Posted October 21, 2010
After attending Mitchell for all four years of high school, I now finally appreciate it as the great school that it is. I was worried that when I went to college that I wouldn't have an education at the level of people from wealthier schools such as Cherry Creek, Highlands Ranch, or Smokey Hill would have in Denver. However, I was shocked when I went to college and my friends from these schools had never written a research paper longer 5 pages or in APA citation style. I was shocked when students from these school's that achieve better than Mitchell never learned the states or their capitals. Don't listen to every disgruntled student or parent about Mitchell. The world of education NEEDS discipline, even if it s unpopular. Schools NEED attendance policies and zero tolerance to violence. And like it or not, security guards are in EVERY school.

Posted October 10, 2010
I had to pull my child out of that school. This school is not boot camp nor is it a respectful one at that. Security guards, attendance principle, are over whelming to my child. my child retaliates back and so yes he wouldn't comply 100% they picked on my child way to much, teachers would mark you absent if you are a little late, academic and professionalizm from teachers and other staff is not respectful nor comply to a parents concern of other situations within this school that I had problems with from the past. I will be taking the school to court for harrassment on my child;s behalf after i had taken him out of that horrible school, better yet going to the board. i would not recommend this school for your child. please seek a better school than this.

Posted December 04, 2009
Mhs isn't what everybody thinks it is. Yes, there are usually fights and drama but every school has that. The problem is the education. The 'honors' classes are so easy they're actually boring. I don't learn anything new, just review of my 8th grade year. The students aren't diverse, there are Mexicans, African Americans, and Caucasians, just like any other school. It doesn't have any exciting clubs other schools don't already have, the courses are regular, the school is extremely small, and the population is small. They also have a JROTC program, which sounds good, but the teachers in the class aren't tolerant of anything, not even sitting in your chair comfortably, and take the class environment so seriously it is intimidating. I haven't learned anything in that class, and it isn't helping me build any skills I didn't already posses before. Overall, I don't recommend this school at all.

Mitchell High School 5

Posted March 03, 2009

Mitchell High School
1205 Potter Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80909
Last modified Mitchell High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mitchell High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top