Colorado Springs, CO

Posted August 31, 2015
Our oldest son attended this school 10 years ago and just graduated Stanford University in June. The IB Honors system worked well for him and our daughter who attends North Middle at this time. We took time to teach our children to advocate for themselves, avoid problem students and to make good choices with the idea that they could be compromising their futures if they don't. Middle school in itself is stressful, full of bullying, and hormones. Just as any other school, there are troubled individuals (even in district 12!) who don't take school seriously, bully, and are disrespectful. After enrolling my other two children in several district 12 schools (Pinion Valley, Cheyenne Mountain Charter Academy and Vanguard) we have found that this school was the best fit for them, especially being Twice Exceptional (Gifted with a Learning Disability). We as parents made our presence known, tracked our children's homework and spoke to our children daily to make sure they were progressing successfully and not falling through the cracks. We would contact teachers and then administrators if they did not respond immediately. Our daughter who was BROKEN by Cheyenne Mountain Charter Academy is at the top of her class due to the school helping us address her disability. She once hated school, and it was a chore getting her up each morning for school at CMCA. She continually had "tummy" aches, would throw up and cry a lot. She now loves school and does her homework independent of us. She only asks when she needs help. No school is perfect and the grass is definitely not greener over on the district 12 side of town! She is currently in the IB Honors Program, almost fluent in French, and a Exceptional violinist while being invited to play with the Colorado Springs Youth Orchestra. Her self esteem is through the roof, she loves all of her current and past teachers/administrators, and all she talks about is school and her future. We as parents realize that their aren't any schools that will single handedly create successful kids without the continued support of the parents. I would love to think that we have genius kids that don't word hard to excel. An amalgam of parent, student, teacher/admin. that creates success. It also helps tremendously to have the support and extracurricular activities that North IB Honors program offers.

North Middle School 2

Posted July 15, 2013
I am a former student of North Middle School. Most of my teachers didn't grade my assignments. One time I didn't turn in an assignment and got a 99% on it, and another time an assignment I turned in never got graded even though my mom and then I talked to the teacher multiple times about it. Even though this was a school I had to apply to, I had more homework in elementary school and the work in elementary was harder too. At the beginning of the year my schedule got messed up about a million times and then I still ended up in the wrong math class and a result got behind. The principal was very hands off. On a positive note the after school and before school activities are great especially Forensics and M.e.s.a. Despite the good things I would not recommend this school to anyone looking for a good education.

Posted February 07, 2013
This school is a JOKE!! My gifted student was failing half her classes and not a SINGLE TEACHER could be bothered to respond to emails or phone calls inquiring as to why, their GT teacher had never even MET my daughter after over 6 months in the school and no one was willing to try to help us fix the problem or get her caught up. We are literally MOVING OUR ENTIRE FAMILY just to get her AWAY from this horrible excuse for a "school". I have never been so disappointed in my entire life.

Posted February 05, 2013
I was a student in 2010 and loved it. They had great staff, and the students were great.

Posted November 29, 2012
I am extremely dissapointed in this school. During class I encountered students cursing, throwing things, leaving the classroom unattended. Classes are large, and most teachers are incapable of handling the number of students in their classroom. Teachers are screaming, impatient, and show frustration. No discipline, and distractions constantly in class. I found four teachers that we're wonderful, and that gives me some hope. For the rest it seems it's only a pay check.

Posted February 01, 2012
North is an excellent school for all ages!!! We are encouraged in each and every class to try our hardest and every class is fun. North is a great school and teachers help to boost students' self confidence.

Posted January 19, 2012
My son was having problems before coming to this school and he has surpassed anyone's expectations. The teachers are very active in the helping the kids. My daughter in the IB program and doing incredibly well. Both children are active in many of their before and after school activities. My only complaint is the safety in the area outside the school but that is the same for the entire city of Colorado Springs. We reside in district 49 but I have both of my children attend this school because it has been so great for them.

Posted February 08, 2011
i have had 3 children in north but with the new principle it lacks the ability to keep the children safe the education received is below stander ed and i highly recommend another school

Posted September 13, 2010
This is our 4th year at North with two daughters. We highly recommend North, especially the IB program (if it fits with your student). I appreciate: 1) Teachers. Several teachers have really inspired our students. Especially the science teachers and their support of the state Science Fair activities. As always, there have been several weak teachers. North replaced them as soon as allowed. 2) Staff. when problems with a class or special needs, the staff has been very responsive, involved and "student focused" in finding solutions. I emailed the new principle with a suggestion during her first (crazy) week of school. She replied immediately a made the change. 3) Sports: coaches seem to have healthy values for this age. ie. girls track is encouraged for all shapes, sizes and abilities. There are no "cuts" and 100+ girls participate. 4) Culture. It is a real "melting pot" of central C.S. students.

North Middle School 3

Posted October 12, 2009
it is really hard sometimes to find someone who knows what's going on with my children. i once was sent on a field trip to the wrong location.. i walked around the school for an hour and was not challenged once. when there is an event no one is in the office too call your student at the event home in emergencies or even to check that a dance or something is even going on. very scary.

North Middle School
612 East Yampa St, Colorado Springs, CO  80903
Last modified North Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top