Colorado Springs, CO

Chipeta Elementary School 2

Posted November 18, 2014
We have been part of the Chipeta family for nearly a decade and could not have been happier with our early experience. A few years ago, the school acquired a new principal, and the results have been devastating. Many great teachers have left for other schools or retired early. The staff that remain have become largely short tempered and unsupportive. Bullying has become rampant and many children who seek help are accused of tattling. We are seeking alternative opportunities for our remaining students. I would only recommend this school to those who have very quiet, internally motivated, studious children. Any support beyond basic supervision has become the exception. And the principal's treatment of parents as characterized in a previous post is spot on. Her treatment of children is comparable.

Chipeta Elementary School 4

Posted March 13, 2014
Both of my children attended Chipeta Elementary, and one is still there. I love the teachers, the staff, the challenging environment they offer the children...but I do not like the new principle. She treats the parents as if we are children and is basically a socially inept. I will be very happy when my last child moves up to middle school.

Posted February 28, 2014
This school is amazing. It is the heart of our community. There is much expected of students, and enough help given for them all to succeed. The principal has even gone back in the classroom to teach because the budget cuts district wide didn't allow a teacher to be hired. Nearly half of the students here choice in from other schools and there is a good reason for it. While the building is older, with the fire recovery new equipment is being purchased. The playground might even be artificial turf in 2014-2015. The computer resources are so well utilized that the National School Board is sending a special delegation to review how they are used in learning. If you do a cursory look at the scores you'd think they are going down. This is because there are so many new students that haven't been "at Chipeta" long enough for it to have made a difference. After a full year here scores will rise. There is a parent in every classroom at least once a week. There is a WATCHDOGS program bringing in good male role models. There are great after school programs. And the art, music/orchestra, and PE instruction at this school are the best in the region. Visit the school. You WILL be impressed.

Posted December 05, 2013
We could not be happier. It starts with the principal who is a wonderful leader, really cares for our kids and encourages parents to come to school. Every teacher we have had at Chipeta has been exceptional and caring; they expect much from the kids and parents.

Posted November 16, 2012
Our son just started his first grade year at Chipeta after attending a WONDERFUL Montessori school through Kindergarten. We were concerned about the transition from Montessori to Public school, but the whole experience has been Outstanding!! His teacher communicates each week about what they are studying and encourages parent participation whenever possible. I love Chipeta!

Posted October 28, 2012
Chipeta has been a great fit for our family. I had some major issues with a public school in GA and homeschooled for a little over a year before looking at schools here that the kids could go into. I have a 5th grader, 3rd grader on an IEP plan, and a Kindergartener. The staff has been very supportive and helpful in the growth of my children. I am just really thankful for this school and the their teachers.

Chipeta Elementary School 1

Posted June 06, 2012
I am not very happy with the results of this school.My child has been bullied by other students and now also doesnt take any interest in school.His mind now focuses on how to avoid theese mean people instead of trying to meet his acedemic needs.He was very exited to get out of the school because he would be able to avoid the negitive people in his life.This school deserves this rating because of its unexeptable results.

Chipeta Elementary School 2

Posted June 05, 2011
We were very unhappy at this school. As an educator, I'm always suspicious when the school's test scores are touted as the badge of honor. It can mean the teachers are teaching to the test. It's possible that's not the case here, and I know there were amazing teachers we weren't fortunate to experience the year we were there. The school itself is good overall, but do your research. As a military family, I didn't see any accommodations made for explaining their math program to new students. It can be a great program...if you never move, and are there from K-6!! Administration always met with us about problems, but nothing was ever visibly accomplished. We moved away in '09, but our child lost a year of academics, and I had to tutor her extensively after our experience at Chipeta.

Chipeta Elementary School 0

Posted January 20, 2010
I am also very unhappy with Chipeta. The administration and parents are very unfriendly. My child has been negatively affected by this and will be attending another school. To the admin and parents: ''you r not all that.''

Chipeta Elementary School 0

Posted December 16, 2008
I have found that the principal and teachers at Chipeta are always willing to meet and discuss any problems or issues that a child might have. No school is ever perfect, but the staff at Chipeta seems to go out of their way to make sure that my child's needs are met.

Chipeta Elementary School
2340 Ramsgate Terrace, Colorado Springs, CO  80919
Last modified Chipeta Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chipeta Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top