Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I am thrilled beyond measure that my daughter goes to Martinez. The school is a diamond. I feel more closely connected to my neighborhood, my community and my city because of this school I'm impressed with the qualifications and skills (both hard and soft) of the teachers and staff, specifically Mrs. Dunn (Art), Mr. Cranfill (Music), Mrs. Wastler (Kindergarten), Mrs. Newsome (Gifted and Talented), Mr. Hurley (Special Ed), Mrs. Morris (First Grade), Mrs. Jarbot (Assistant Principal) and Mrs. Long (Principal). I'm impressed with the involvement of the parents at Martinez, from the activities and effectiveness of the PTA to the presence and protection of the Watch D.O.G.S. and the number of the parent classroom volunteers. I'm impressed by the feeling I get, and have gotten for the past two years, from every interaction with every school employee that Martinez is a great place to work and that everyone is there for the kids. I value the leadership emphasis that the school's Leader in Me program provides. It's amazing to hear my 6-year old talking about win-win situations, being proactive and thinking with the end in mind. The school's "specials" are five-star! Art, music, STEM and P.E. are taught by talented, passionate and caring people who connect with the kids they teach. The extra-curricular, after-school opportunities abound. It seems every conceivable interest a child might have is offered. The summer enrichment programs extend the school's commitment to its children beyond the regular school year. The principal is involved, present, active, vocal and committed. She is a leader by example. Her peers named her the 2015 Principal of the Year, and every Thursday morning at Mustang Round Up, I see why. I believe my daughter is known as an individual. She isn't just a body in a seat. She is recognized for her talents and challenged to excel. She is given age-appropriate responsibilities and regularly encouraged. I'm thrilled by the academic and social growth I've seen in her each of the past two years.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

With different administration, I believe the teachers could be very effective. The problem is coming from the top down.

Martinez has gone down hill over the past 5 year they only care about test scores. Or how much money you make. They don't care about your kid and they definitely do not won't your opinion as a parent. There is a few staff members that are awesome but not enough to make it worth the trouble. The parents are to busy talking bad about other parents and working out 6 hours a days to pay attention to what's going on with there kids education. Most people treat there pets better.

The kids experience was excellent at this school, with the exception of a couple of teachers, who are no longer there. The STEM program is out of this world. The school and teachers encourage the kids to get out of their comfort zone and build confidence.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

This depends on the teachers. There are a couple of great teachers. Most of them don't seem to care about the child.

There are some great teachers at Martinez, however the school will do the absolute minimum when they see a struggling child. They will sit there and watch your child fail for months and not even bring it to your attention. The principal is very charismatic when she wants to be, but when questioned, lacks knowledge and will make up her information when she is backed into a corner. My kids time with this school started out great and I thought they were at a great school, but this has deteriorated greatly within the last 1-2 years. They don't seem to care about my child's future and do everything they can do push his struggles under the rug and ignore it. Getting your child even the tiniest bit of help is a battle at this school because they don't want to deal with it. Their Leader in Me Program ins Great, but they should spend more time focusing on providing quality instruction to help children learn to read and write.

The leadership program is amazing for my child and has instilled great confidence and abilities within our home and outside of it. The teachers all seem really nice and readily accessible and responsive to individual interactions. The STEM class is my kids favorite and the teacher, I hear, from all of their classmates is THE best. Overall, I am very impressed by this school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Principal voiced she didn't support homework, when the issue came to vote on for the district. I was the one who brought three topic to be voted on to our school accountability meeting.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The school might be a lighthouse school but only because of lies. I was on the school accountability committee, there is NO discipline and when the subject is brought up, it was always quickly dismissed. The tardy policy was harsh, yet children threw tantrums, punched other in the face, with no action taken. I feared for the safety of my child.

My daughter has attended for 4 years. This year in third grade she was put into a higher reading class. What a joke! All she did was play board games and her reading actually dropped because the teacher was too busy working on her own degree. There were numerous instances where kids physically asulted one an other and still allowed to attend. There is no discipline! No wonder the test grades are low. The kids are too busy doing whatever they want instead of learning. Not only switching schools, changing districts.

Last modified Martinez Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.