Colorado Springs, CO

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 01, 2015
Principal voiced she didn't support homework, when the issue came to vote on for the district. I was the one who brought three topic to be voted on to our school accountability meeting.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted June 01, 2015
All they care about is how the school looks. On time, smiles, not a care of actual grades or safety of students.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 01, 2015
Faculty wants to sugar coat instead of fixing problems. In one year I wittnessed physical assaults between students, racism demonstrated in front of children, unruly outbursts, yet not a single act of correction for these actions.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 01, 2015
The school might be a lighthouse school but only because of lies. I was on the school accountability committee, there is NO discipline and when the subject is brought up, it was always quickly dismissed. The tardy policy was harsh, yet children threw tantrums, punched other in the face, with no action taken. I feared for the safety of my child.

Martinez Elementary School 2

Posted June 01, 2015
My daughter has attended for 4 years. This year in third grade she was put into a higher reading class. What a joke! All she did was play board games and her reading actually dropped because the teacher was too busy working on her own degree. There were numerous instances where kids physically asulted one an other and still allowed to attend. There is no discipline! No wonder the test grades are low. The kids are too busy doing whatever they want instead of learning. Not only switching schools, changing districts.

Martinez Elementary School 3

Posted February 11, 2015
I am not sure how to begin other than expressing my displeasure of the seemingly lack of academics at this facility. The staff is more concerned at becoming a Franklin Covey school than focusing on what is critical: reading and writing! My child has been doing academics far beyond what her grade is currently offering, and when you ask why the high learners are not being challenged, the teacher explains it is that so the low learners can catch up. Since when was it ok to make everyone the same? Why not challenge the low, middle, and high learners to succeed?! Why is this school using convoluted verbiage called "win, win" when kids are in trouble?! How is this a win? You are being naughty, now you get to sit apart from the others...It is time to get back to the basics: reading, writing, math, and science, not coat the academic world with sugar coatings to make everyone feel like they can do no wrong.

Posted April 07, 2014
Martinez is an excellent school. It provides before and after school clubs in music, choirs, physical education, art, karate, band, and academics. It has a lyrics to learn program, which uses music to help student remember important information in core subjects. Martinez has a top of the line stem lab providing cutting edge technology for student success in a highly technological market. Students at Martinez are taught leadership and to set goals, which are designed to make them independent and responsible learners. The school's approach is ahead of others in preparing students for a competitive life and work force.

Posted September 10, 2012
We moved to this school at the start of the year. Our experience has been excellent so far - the teachers are phenomenal, the principal seems to have a great handle on things and there is a team feeling in this school that is just "wow". Our kids were both behind in math and writing when we started here (even so we came from a match/science/space focus school). The teachers at Martinez caught our kids up in no time :) One of the best decisions we made was to move to this school :)

Martinez Elementary School 3

Posted June 12, 2012
Please take care of the school grounds! Let me start by saying that I don't have any children that go to this school and I don't work at the school, but I do live in the neighborhood right across from the school and I do wish that the Principal took more pride in the school by keeping up the grounds a little better. It is over run by weeds and usually looks like it is way past due to be mowed. I know times are tight, but I see other schools around this area that are maintained to look clean and tidy, why not this one? It may be a great school, I don't know, but It is an eye sore from the street.

Posted May 19, 2011
Excellent special education team! They work hard and truly care for our children. Unfortunately, we had to move last year, so my kids don't attend Martinez anymore. I wish I could have taken their SPED team with us! I have yet to encounter a SPED team that even comes close to comparing to their dedication. They are unmatched!

6460 Vickers Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80918
Last modified Martinez Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martinez Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top