The Imagine Classical Academy At Indigo Ranch

Charter | K-8

Posted September 7, 2011

Beware of this school. Yo uthink Charter means more oportunity, smaller class sizes and better education, yet based of test scores they came in at the same as other public schools in the immediate area, they laid off teachers increasing class sizes to at or near regular public school sizes and cut all funding for the arts. They are continually hitting parents up for money, yet show no frugality with the way they spend and have little regard for the child as a person, but as a commodity. The principle is condescending to the parents (her customers!) and has a poor sense of priority. I have endured for 3 years, I have volunteered to help correct issues and I can't do it any more. If I can get as good of an education, the same class size and more access to extra curricular opportunities at nearby elementary schools why would I stay and put up with the elitist attitudes. I can not wai for the end of the year, I am transferring my daughter out as fast as I can.

Posted August 19, 2011

This school does not have a band/orchestra or choir program even for its middle schoolers. It is offered for an additional fee through their childcare program not through the school itself.

Posted June 27, 2011

Why so many Great Schools reviews? The two closest Neighborhood Schools (NS) received 15 and 17 reviews since 05. The closest Charter School has 64 since 07 while Imagine shows 101 (21, 42, & 38 since 08). Why do the two local charter schools have many more reviews then the two local NS? NS do not need to advertise because they have a population base in their neighborhood; the opposite is true for Charter Schools as 100% of the families have to "choose" to attend via word-of-mouth advertising (Less than 10% of Imagine s students are within walking distance) Also, charter schools require parent involvement so it's a natural tendency to submit a review to help with advertising. D-49 pools their SPED funding received from all schools and distributes the instructors and $ as they believe best. Imagine paid D-49 about $495,000 for SPED instruction last year. The public budget shows $497,995 going to D-49 next year. Students up to 3rd Grade are tested in Saxon Math every 5 school days. Students receive 2 pages of math homework 4-5 days per week. Imagine started with 684 kids last year and had a 5.7% withdrawal rate. There are no class standing figures.

Posted June 27, 2011

The math is rigorous, the uniform rules are enforced, some teachers are strict, they don't have a lot of money, the parking guys are rigid, yet all the kiddos I know are thriving. When I call the office the receptionist is polite and helpful so enough complaining on them. Like others have said the school might not be right for everyone but it seems like they have 600 happy families and we are one of them.

Posted June 25, 2011

To the June 20th poster, there's no need to be nasty to the "Isn't it ironic..." poster. The parents complained not because of unrealistic expectations but because they and their kids had bad experiences with this school. I know lots of families who withdrew their kids because there's no special education assistance and because of the unresponsive, uncaring administrators. I know some kids who literally have anxiety attacks because they're so afraid of getting in trouble with the school's extremely strict standards set upon them (i.e. getting sent to the principal's office for failing to tuck in polo shirts or failing to stay in line). There's also a powerful mommy clique that tries to control the school's PTO and drive others out. People need to see both positive and negative reviews to make the best possible decisions for their kids.

Posted June 8, 2011

My child just graduated from TICA, and I'm fully confident he is prepared for great success in high school and beyond. The teachers do more than adhere to a curriculum...they contribute real-world experience and build relationships.

Posted May 27, 2011

Isn't it ironic that for every negative comment made quite a few positive ones are made? I dont know of another school that has so many reviews. It's almost like this school has a taskforce of parents that view this frequently to be sure to up the rating....?

Posted May 26, 2011

This was our first experience with a public school and could not be happier. The school is still new and is working out some of the kinks of being new but overall it was a great experience. I'm glad we had the opportunity to enroll our children there. The curriculum is challenging but both of our girls excelled academically. I would definitely recommend.

Posted May 3, 2011

The curriculum and homework load at this school is a bit overwhelming. The front office staff is very unfriendly, every time I enter office I am never greeted, each time I've had to greet them. This will be my children first and last year attending Imagine. This has been one of the most stressful years in school my children have ever experienced. I am very disappointed that the school expects every kid to learn at the same level. As a parent who is very involved in my children's education want learning to be a joy and not a burden!

Posted April 26, 2011

It is a great academic school. We are investing in our children's future by monitoring or helping with homework after school. The challenging homework now will pay off later. We like the school.

Posted April 26, 2011

We love Imagine our daughter has attend since kindergarten (she is currently in 1st grade) and is excelling at Imagine, yes the curriculum is challenging but like her kindergartener teacher expressed children's brains are like sponges they will absorb it all very quickly. Because the curriculum is challenging my daughter is never bored at school and enjoys going everyday and especially excited about going back after school breaks.

Posted April 25, 2011

I have two children at Imagine and really like the school. Yes, the curriculum is challenging, and parent involvement is expected. No, Imagine isn't for everyone. But I am in awe of what my children are learning and how well they are doing. I think our public schools, in general, have been so watered down to accommodate those who struggle. Those who can excel have been left behind. Imagine is a good alternative for those who need the challenge. I appreciate the school's curriculum, the focus on character and the atmosphere. I have found the teachers to be caring and structured. But I do want to add that I'd like to see the art program restored, paid teacher's aides (teachers and parent volunteers can do only so much!) especially since class sizes increased due to lay-offs, better SPED, and for the administration to be more in touch with the needs of the students and parents.

Posted April 18, 2011

The Imagine Classical Academy has been a fantastic beginning for my kids' education. The academic curriculum has been much better than I ever imagined. My five year olds are both reading well, and their approach to math has been very successful with both of my children. They enjoy learning and seem to be challenged but not frustrated with what has been asked of them. Their teacher has done a fantastic job of emphasizing the moral values held by the school, and she is truly dedicated to her responsibility as a role model to the students. In addition, parent participation is encouraging. Most if not all of the parents of kids in my children's class have been involved with assisting the teacher this year. The school has a personal feel and I would highly recommend it to a family that wants to be involved in their child's education.

Posted April 11, 2011

I have had children attend both the local public schools and Imagine. I agree that the school isn't perfect, but there is no perfect school. There will always be something we don't like. Removing the art program was disappointing, but unfortunately necessary at the time. I hope to see it come back when our financing is in better shape. My child receives an excellent education at this school. He will thrive when he has to go to a local public high school and for that I am grateful. My son's teacher is fabulous and I do understand that finding a teacher that is a good personality match for your family is hard. I also know that they ask about your child's personality and strengths/weaknesses so they can pair you up with the best possible match. The more involvIed you are at the school, the more you will understand the workings at the school. This school requires parental involvement in some form or fashion. As long as you can contribute to your child's education, you will see your child thrive. If you simply want to send them to school and be done with it, I suggest one of the local public schools.

Posted April 11, 2011

In regards of the post on March 17th... the posts are not false infromation. Maybe you have been one of the lucky parents who haven't had experiences such as the ones posted previously. Please rember not every child/family is going have the same experiences in this school that your child has had. Nothing I posted has been untruthful, I do think this school has some good teachers, and teachers who's efforts aren't recognized. But their are things that have happend that you didn't see or experince, don't tell me I'm lying!

Posted April 11, 2011

Our family has attended TICA since its' founding days, and we couldn't be more pleased. The curriculum provided to the students is unrivaled, the staff are caring and professional, the atmosphere is one of focused learning, and the community is friendly and welcoming. This school recently received very high marks from a site visit conducted by a branch of CDE. Curriculum is designed and parents are expected to take an active part in their child's learning, which is so important in academic success for students. Students are also taught and expected to display positive character values. Qualified teachers oversee the structure, direction, and rigorous content of learning. There is not a better place for a child to be than in this community of staff and families dedicated to classical education, college prep, and character education.

Posted April 10, 2011

This school is so demanding of my fifth grader, he has had to quit sports and church activities to keep up with homework. Much of the teaching is done at home. There is little support for a struggling student and they have no problem with retaining a student at this age instead of helping him/her to succeed. Teachers show little compassion--very military. My son has had to change schools.

Posted April 3, 2011

LOVE the teachers at this school but, recently they laid off 5 teachers causing huge classroom sizes. Also, they really need to work on providing services for special needs. I would also like to see a library, and return of their Art program. Also, the teachers are very overwhelmed with no teachers-aids. They depend on parent volunteers for almost all of their assistant needs. Haven't decided if my daughter will be returning.

Posted March 27, 2011

Excellant teachers with amazing support from parents. If your child is not ready for a challenge and not ready to be held accountable for their behavior, then this is not the school for your child. It is not the teachers or the schools job to raise your child, their job is to "EDUCATE" your child. We the parents should support our teachers and do our jobs as parents and provide home training for our children. Again, the education at this school is "OUTSTANDING" and so are our "TEACHERS!"

Posted March 17, 2011

I must say I am extremely shocked but many of the reviews of our school. This school has one of the best, most supportive environments for students, staff, and parents. The teachers ALWAYS go above and beyond for their students. They tutor for free, differentiate learning, and seek the best possible strategies to help all students achieve success. They genuinely care about each and every child. I have NEVER, EVER heard the principal nor the vice principal scream or yell at anyone, including the staff. They are highly qualified and I would invite you to check their credentials with the district; I'm positive you would be very pleased with the information you would find. If you are a parent, please do not believe this false information, come to our school and observe any classroom, at any time of the day. We welcome parents to observe and see for themselves why our school is different. Please also try to come to our meet and greets to get to know our principal and vice principal. If you choose this school for your child, your child will receive the best public education in this area by far, hands down!!

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students93%

Students without disabilities76%
Proficient in English75%
Neither migrant nor immigrant75%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 5%N/A41%
Male 46%N/A51%
Female 54%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Tina Leone
Fax number
  • (719) 495-4239

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Art room
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground