Colorado Springs, CO
Students enrolled: 1,147

Vista Ridge High School 5

Posted August 24, 2015
This principal is clearly in the right line of work! He is enthusiastic about his job and deeply cares for the students. Also the guidance counselors are wonderful! Can't say enough great things about this wonderful school with a warm and caring staff.

Vista Ridge High School 2

Posted July 30, 2015
Vista Ridge is the best high school in D49, however it is the best of the worst. The principal lacks leadership skills and common sense...has a view that kids should focus on what they can do well, and not be pushed at what they can't do. Frankly, I want my child to learn what he doesn't know well! Only a handful of teachers are great. The school policeman is pompous and is not kid friendly. He spends his time looking to handout as many traffic tickets as he can to parents on the street in front of the school. The school curriculum is horrible and doesn't come close to the many class choices other districts offer. The dance team coach did not care about her team last year and abruptly quit on the team before the last few games of the year, and the athletic director doesn't care about the dance team...and so, dance tryouts were held at the end of last year (for this year's team) by students and a parent, without the athletic director knowing. The parent/judge then brought her daughter in the last day of tryouts and she still made the team unfairly. It was brought to the attention of the athletic director and he let the team stay intact instead of making all the girls fairly tryout with a new staffed dance coach...many parents are upset. The counseling staff does not care about the kids or their schedules, and I could not get one of them to call me back until I threatened to call the administration building. This school is a waste of my tax dollars and is disappointing. I have moved my child to District 20 which also doesn't have nearly the fees that D49 has.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 23, 2015
My child has joined the ranks of the functionally illiterate. Thanks Vista Ridge. Thanks Meg Meadow. Thanks Bruce Grose and your wack team!

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted May 23, 2015
The homework is rudimentary and is not regarded. My son never turned his in and yet his still graduated.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted May 23, 2015
This school wants your money and your kids out in 4 years, period!!! This school sucks. The waste time offering classes that distract from true academic learning.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 23, 2015
My military dependent child has been encouraged to display disrespect to all figures in authority.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 23, 2015
Teachers and administration care about %'s not the kids. The counseling staff is laughable and tragic. The administration is worse. Their favorite thing is voice mail. They have students manning phones and desks which means adults should be reachable, they aren't.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 23, 2015
Horrible school. If your kid is bright, don't dump them here. If your kid has special needs don't dump them here. Average just get by kids...this is your spot!

Vista Ridge High School 2

Posted May 23, 2015
This district D49 & school pass kids onto the next grade regardless of if they pass their core courses. My son has graduated by the skin of his teeth yet he doesn't deserve to. The administration does not care. Since the 9th grade, I've been advocating for extra help, I got nothing. Finally, last year he began seeing a therapist and with a bipolar diagnosis, they made no mention that he was eligible for special needs accommodations. If I had it to do again he would have choices into D20. I am so disgusted with the principal and counselors. They are truly worthless to special needs kids and their parents. Vista Ridge High School was a waste of my tax dollars. I hope to change the district border so my neighborhood, which can go either way, definitely goes toward Academy School district 20! Meg Meadow should be released, principal Grose needs to be retrained. Horrible representation of educators. No wonder Coloradand are sooooo..... #dameshame!!!!

Vista Ridge High School 4

Posted October 10, 2014
The counseling department has helped my son and daughter so very much. Every time one of them goes into counseling they are friendly, very responsive and always willing to help in any way. My daughter has dealt with issues in the past and since we have moved schools she feels so comfortable in their environment. My daughter goes in and can speak with the secretary and does not feel judged or like she has to be embarrassed because she is there and she feels better after she leaves. I am very pleased with the way they handle the students.

6888 Black Forest Rd, Colorado Springs, CO  80922
Last modified Vista Ridge High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vista Ridge High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top