Atlas Preparatory School

Charter | 5-9 | 500 students

Education. Character. Community.

Posted yesterday

So sorry to hear about the other parent's experience. Atlas has a bully reporting system called Safe to Tell where parents and students can anonymously report any concerns they have. I hope that parent took the time to submit it so that teachers and administrators were able to address the issue. In my experience the school has been very helpful in addressing bullying concerns and issues.

Posted Tuesday, August 26, 2014

THe one single thing that makes schools high quality and effective is the teaching instruction...and Atlas has just that. I'm sad to say that I will pulling my two sons because not only are they being bullied by their peers, but teachers and administrators do nothing about it. Let me repeat...nothing about it. How long can you keep your children in a school when they are being bullied?

Posted July 23, 2014

Atlas has provided me with a high level of support as an instructional staff member in the High School. After having worked in several schools, it is refreshing to be surrounded by such a high calibre of teachers who work hard and are dedicated to working with urban students. Administration has an open door policy and are always open to suggestions in the best interest of student success.

Posted July 22, 2014

My son is about to start his second year at Atlas, and after a friend of mine mentioned the school's reputation here, I felt as though I should speak up on its behalf. Having attended another school in the area prior to Atlas, we moved him into Atlas after he just seemed to be getting mixed up into more and more trouble. Though the transition was a bit rocky (the standars here are definitely higher!), he really seemed to fall in love with his teachers. Within a month of his enrollment he was chosen to move in to the Honors program and hasn't slowed down. I was able to get a hold of his advisor whenever I needed, and felt respected and welcomed every time I came in for conferences. While the school may not be perfect, it has been a significant step up in teaching quality and challenge compared to other local options.

Posted July 7, 2014

My daughter will be starting her second year at Atlas soon. She really likes the school and they have helped her get better at reading and math. I wish they offered more class options for the students, but she is doing really good in her classes. I hope this next year goes as well as last year.

Posted June 28, 2014

My son is in this school for 3 years and I am very pleased with it. Every school has some things that need to be improved. Nothing is perfect in any school. It is still a new school compare to the rest of the schools in the district. I never had any bad experience with teachers or other staff. Always friendly and try hard to give the best. When I read all the commons I am surprised what I read. I know teaching is a hard job and when I see other schools where kids have no discipline I am glad my son is in Atlas Prep.

Posted May 21, 2014

I've had my kids at Atlas for 3 years now, and have been very pleased with the quality of the teachers. Given the other options in the area Atlas is clearly the superior option if you want your child to receive an education where academics, discipline, and character matter. Reading many of the reviews already submitted it is clear to me that the hundreds of other satisfied parents need to rise up and voice their support. Every school is going to have its share of disgruntled parents (and teacher? sounds fake to me based off what I've seen), and it always seems like these upset few always yell the loudest and post the most in order to try to make it seem like their opinion is shared by most. Not true in this case, Atlas is Harrison 2 family's best hope for a quality education.

Posted May 11, 2014

I worked at Atlas Prep and what I saw way horrifying. The administration is impossible to work with, the teachers are overworked and broken down from trying to give their students the best and having to fight their admin every step of the way. Teachers move around grades and content areas 2-3 times per year, meaning that they never get to fully own their content areas, and students are constantly having to get to know new teachers. The learning that goes on in classrooms is surface level, not through any fault of the teachers. Promises made to staff and parents do not see follow through, and students suffer because of it. Their "enrichment program" in the arts and sports is one hour a day of unstructured time, which ranges from playing on the field to watching movies. The music and art programs they talk about in their ads do not actually exist. The bottom line is this: your child deserves better than Atlas Prep can ever give them. Save yourself some time and enroll elsewhere.

Posted April 17, 2014

10 out 10 atlas really cares for is students and there familys this school rock

Posted April 17, 2014

i wish the school offered more opportunities but its good overall and i'm happy to be attending this school

Posted March 21, 2014

This is a great school for students and families...very caring, talented, and supportive staff. Students receive daily enrichment activities as well as extended school day options.

Posted January 14, 2014

This is my sons 3rd year at Atlas and I have to say I'm really sad with how it's going. He has had 3 different special ed teachers this year because teachers keep quitting. The principals don't even tell parents the teachers are leaving until after the fact and then they don't want to talk about it. When you walk in the school, everyone looks sad.. I think this school has a good idea, that they want to do good, but they don't seem to know how. Instead, they work teachers till they quit, they yell at the kids all day and put them on suspension for crazy reasons (my son forgot his shoes and got put on in school suspension), and they don't have anything to help kids with their behavior except getting them in trouble. My son has an IEP and they make him copy essays every time he gets in trouble: he has trouble writing but he had to write 13 essays. This school used to be good, but test scores are bad and kids aren't learning. I hope they turn it around because I like the people there. It's just not good now.

Posted November 16, 2013

I believe they wait until count is over, and they then purge their rolls of children with IEPs. This is why money should not be doled out based on a one day count in October.

Posted October 12, 2013

This school is horrible and pay attention to the reviews because the principal is a joke. He likes to brag about where he got his education but he's not really interested in these children (minorities mostly) truly getting a great education along with a fulfilling experience that bolsters great self-esteem. I would never send my children back to this school and encourage parents (even if this is your last option) to think long and hard about subjecting your children to this school. I'd homeschool before I put my precious children back into this school and I agree with one of the other parental reviews- "The principal is truly a hateful "snake" of a man. It's a shame anyone with the right resources is allowed to open and run a school!!

Posted October 12, 2013

Love this school! My child is in the 5th grade, her teachers know her by name, she feels safe, is doing well in class and has made new friends.

Posted June 17, 2013

This school is a joke. I thought that my child would excel here. The truth is the kids pass because of attendance and participation mainly. The teachers here are not certified or have a teaching degree. They are from Teachers of America. Means they study a special area but that is it. My child knows more about Spain than American history in 6th grade. My child did not know what the 4th of July was for. All the social studies is about other countries, what about our country? Then the lunch administration lags at the beginning of the year for reduced/free lunches. Even though I turned in the application the first day of school, I am responsible for costs until the day the day she submitted the information? And because I have not paid it thus far but will, they send home notes stating if not paid by a certain date, they will send it to a collections agency? This school is crooked in so many ways. My child will not be going back and I strongly discourage other parents from having their child attend there. The perks of no school supplies and smaller classrooms sounded nice, but there is still a lack of communication between teachers and parents until it is too late.

Posted March 4, 2013

This school is okay if your scholar is failing at other schools and you want them to pass. Do not put your child here if your looking for them to advance. The curricular is basic and there are no text books. There is one college for advanced kids in 5th grade. I know because my son attends it. Its a great college with great teachers but my son is not advancing in two areas. Its nice I didn't have to buy school supplies but not nice enough to have my son lose another year of learning. The scholar pick up system after school is horrible especially in the snow. Great school if you aren't looking for anything advanced.

Posted January 29, 2013

My child has been at Atlas for two years now and I have seen a lot of growth in her confidence and desire to learn. I like the classroom structure and the paycheck system really motivates her to do well and want to achieve more. I have been very happy with the growth I have seen my student accomplish since starting at Atlas. I am also looking forward to seeing the high school open in the next year.

Posted November 19, 2012

My kids have gone here now for three years and I wouldn't send them anywhere else. They are recieving the skills and education they need to succeed in a positive environment. Atlas has a great community feel that extends it's support beyond basic school hours and support. Amazing after school activities that you won't find at any other school.

Posted February 2, 2012

I do not like the administration at this school. I have never seen a principal that doesn't like his own student body as much as the principal at this school. He makes these kids stand outside in freezing weather while he and his staff walk past and go into the warm bldg. My kids have gone to several schools in CO and have never been subjected to this. They will not be returning! The teacher's want to be treated like gods but some of them are very demeaning to the kids. If you want fairness for your kids, think twice before sending them to this school. The curriculum is subpar as well and they do NOT offer tutoring (not 100% sure about this) that I know of and if they do, my child should have been offered tutoring a while ago. Beware of this school it is not a "great" school!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

All Students42%

Students without disabilities43%
Proficient in English45%
Neither migrant nor immigrant41%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 77%N/A41%
Male 54%N/A51%
Female 46%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Center for Excellence (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Cognitive disability
  • Specific learning disabilities
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Staff resources available to students
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Honors track

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Honors track
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Science lab

Performing arts
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
l