School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

AcademyACL uses a lottery process in February of each year for enrollment applications that we receive for the following school year. That enrollment window opens in November, so from November to February we take applications and then use the lottery system to prioritize the enrollment openings, with siblings of current students and the children of staff members given priority seating. Our application is a request for enrollment, and once the lottery has occurred, new requests are entered in the order they are received to the bottom of any waiting list. Once there is an opening for a child who is on a waiting list, we contact the parents to see if they are still interested, ask to confirm several details, and we also submit a request for records to the previous school. Those records from previous schools can take a while to arrive, particularly during the summer hours. When we receive records, we review the details from the previous school for a variety of items such as accommodations that the previous school may have used, discipline records, report cards, whether or not the student has been recommended for promotion to next grade, et cetera. Any time we have questions we are happy to talk with parents and previous school officials to clarify the details, as we believe that each child needs to find that right placement that will help him or her to continue to grow and learn in the best way possible.
August 03, 2012

Bad
Good

My daughter attends AACL, and she and I love this school! Being an advanced reader for first grade, she was moved up to 3rd grade reading. A few months into the school year, we get a really nice email from her math teacher that says she should be moved up to 2nd grade math! She really enjoys the challenges the school gives her, and loves her teachers and classes very much. ~_^

Amount of homework: Agree

This school has a "No Homework" policy as long as the student does the work in class. A couple of times, my daughter has brought work home, and it gets done quickly. She has also had several book reports and "Teaching Time" assignments throughout the year that we have worked on together.

Everyone at this school cares so much about the students and their families and has been a very positive place for my child's growth in learning.

We have attended AACL for 3 years and are so pleased! We have 2 gifted children who have truly thrived in this environment. They are completely different learners but, are still being challenged and are learning at an accelerated rate. We plan on staying.

We just finished our end of first trimester conferences. We have two children at the school, who both qualify as gifted, but are very different students. One of our children is the rare case of a student who does well across the board and does not have organization and executive functioning problems. Our other child excels in many areas, but has the typical gifted student's lack of organization and executive functioning, and this child's skills are more asynchronous. Each of our children fits exceptionally well into this school, demonstrating how well the school accommodates its teaching style and curriculum to meet each student's needs. With one child, we have spent many hours working with the teachers and staff to ensure the correct placement, and to develop strategies and techniques to help that child succeed and develop better executive functioning. One of the best features of the school is that, if there are issues that need to be addressed, everyone will work very hard with parents to ensure that they get the very best education possible for their specific needs. A wonderful school for the genuinely gifted and talented.

We have been thrilled with the change to this school because it has allowed all three of our gifted children to thrive. It really is a community for gifted adults parenting gifted kids. I have yet to see a school that is THIS GOOD a communicating with families, encouraging classroom observation and involvement, finding ways to foster independence and executive functioning skills, and work on ways to build positive family time. Academic expectations are high. Teacher expectations are very high. Problems are resolved as a team (including the parents and child.) I always feel like I have a resource in the teachers and administrators. They value hard work as much as intelligence. Great school, but do take a tour. It really isn't for child or every family. For those that do "fit" it will make life so much better! There is hope...

AcademyACL is absolutely state of the art concerning gifted education. I couldn't disagree more with the negative post of July 16. This person in fact seems to have no idea about gifted education and the needs of those children. Our son has tried several schools that claimed to have programs for gifted children. The reality was zero focus on his needs. AcademyACL is the first and only one that truly focussed on gifted education. The teachers understand him and his needs, and as a matter of fact it is the first time that he goes to school happy. The principal's involvement and expertise are incredible, and so are the enthusiasm and professionality of the school staff. If you kid is gifted, this school is a gift for him/her!

This school as no idea how to teach gifted education. My kids went to this school for a year. We moved to another school district and all I can say is wow. The difference in schools is amazing. What AcademyACL calls gifted education is nothing more than regular education at our new school. Parents need to educate themselves and know that charter school are run by corporations to make money and will never really be great. They will just fool you in to thinking it is great.

My daughter has been at AACL since it's inception and I find that it's been a blessing in her life. The way AACL has managed to cater to each child's learning ability is something every school should learn how to do. She has gone from math and reading at grade level to excelling to a grade ahead in both subjects. They avoid the monotonous repetition and encourage "hands on" learning which has really helped my child. I am very thankful for AACL.

My 2x exceptional (gifted/autism) 5 y.o. attends AACL, and his teachers the E.C. team are AMAZING! Others have written of the academic wonders at AACL. It's true! My son receives ample support, while being challenged to grow. His peers are generous and kind. Older kids guide, mentor, and engage him in after school enrichment. They seem to understand him in a way that even I do not. 3 weeks in, my VERY shy son sang a solo for class! In just 5 weeks, every adult from custodian to office staff to upper division teachers and aids knows him by name. I know AACL isn't for every kid, but almost every school would have been wrong for mine; yet here, he's home. Re: required volunteerism, I love it! I've worked in public schools for years, and while I've heard a lot of griping about uninvolved parents, I've also seen teachers and admins get grouchy when parents actually try to be involved. Not here. I feel better than welcome; I feel APPRECIATED for sending emails, asking questions, & making requests. AACL values my input as the person who knows my son best. They WANT to know what I know and share with me what they observe and experience as they teach my son!

Last modified Academy for Advanced and Creative Learning is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.