Colorado Springs, CO

Posted July 07, 2015
This school plays favorites beyond belief. Iwas cheated out of many AP classes because there wasn't enough room after all the staff favorites were in. I had a 3.8 GPA and applied for each AP class I could, and after talking to a few of my friends, I learned that people with GPAs of 3.3 or lower were put into all AP classes when they only applied for one or two. I was in the top 10 of my class in my four years there and only got my academic letter my senior year, rather than the letter and bars. It's obvious that school does not care for the music program, they give minimal funding and don't really put much thought into the new teachers they hire each year (I had 3different music teachers throughout my experience here, likely because they think that one teacher can juggle band, beginning ban, choir, sts choir, women's choir, and an intro to music class on their own. No.) The staff in the office often was rude even in helping me with tasks from Student Council that literally only took a few seconds. I was once told to come back in fifteen minutes once because the lady couldn't take 2 seconds out of her lunch break to look up what class a student was in for me. They are all very unorganized to begin with. Registering for my sophomore, junior, and senior year was a chore because each year the admin had somehow lost my records of the previous year. Many of the good teachers at Sierra have abandoned us for better things, and we are left with inexperienced teachers that aren't passionate about their subject at all. There are a few verygood tteachers but not enough to even the field. I will not lie and say there isn't a good thing about Sierra. The drama program never failed to amaze me. The teachers who were good were phenomenal, pushing me to keep trying my hardest even if the odds were against me, listening to my personal issues and giving appropriate advice. The teachers that were good made me feel like a person, rather than just a part of their job. The good aspects of the school are very overshadowed by the bad, sadly. They claim to have numerous opportunities for all students, but I was cheated out of many for little to no reason. I only put up with it because my parents wouldn't let me go anywhere else. If you send your kid here, you better hope they can become the favorite of someone in the front office if you want them to excel

Posted February 12, 2015
I am a former student of Sierra but graduated from a different district. During my time at Sierra I was a very active student involved in 3 different sports, as well as debate and forensics. I was completely embarrassed at the time of my transition of the lack that was offered to me in education, sports, and resources at Sierra in comparison to Doherty High School. I would have never known the grass was greener on the other side unless I witnessed it for myself. I remember being overwhelmed at the numerous class subjects that were offered to me at Doherty during enrollment and thinking, "why didn't Sierra have this?" The same went for sports and extra curricular activities. Even the quality of the text books, computers, library, sports equipment, class equipment far surpassed the quality at Sierra. If education, sports, and college prep is what you're looking for, I highly recommend opting out of this school and going with the Open Choice program to have your children or yourself enrolled into a different district. There is a reason Sierra High School is ranked 271 out of 355 in Colorado.

Sierra High School 5

Posted September 17, 2011
I'm a former student at Sierra High School and I must say that this school is very underrated. Freshman year, I felt very welcome. The teachers and staff were the best and taught me everything I needed to know in ways I could understand. The student body government is amazing as well as after school clubs and sports. It's very diverse which is one of the reasons why I love it here. Recently though, since this school year started, Sierra has had major problems. The new principal, new curriculums, and the release of many of my favorite staff members has made it difficult to go through with high school. Now, everything seems to be falling apart to the point where this school won't be as great as it used to be. The new teachers , our work ethics, and our sports teams aren't as great anymore. I've thought about moving schools but I just can't even if it's best for me. The school spirit that all students have in this school and the way we stand united just makes it harder to leave. I know I'll never find a school like this. Sierra is overall an amazing school. However, since the changes, I'm not so sure this will be the best four years of my life.

Sierra High School 3

Posted May 03, 2011
I graduated from Sierra in 2006, and those were the best 4 years of my life. The student body is diverse and very accepting of new, "different" peers. Although there were some students who were immature and belligerent, most of the ones I came across were warm and welcoming. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for some of the teachers. Some just did not care about their students- even going as far as to "pretend" to teach us material from the book whenever the security guard would walk by. I was also enrolled in the newspaper class, and our teacher at the time was amazing! He was always available, was more than willing to listen to us, and took the time to talk to us about what we needed out of the class. Overall, I cherished the experience. I started my high school career in a new school and in a new state. And the teachers, staff, and students were all very welcoming.

Sierra High School 4

Posted April 12, 2011
I'm a former student C/O 09!!! And as I read these reviews below me honestly, it upsets me. The school has its flaws, but don't all? As far as the diversity goes, when I went there we had a student from literally all nationalities and all races. The academic have improved since my freshmen year and they help build you up for the real world, I now am a sophomore at Arizona State and Sierra helped get me to where I am. Some of what people are saying is true, but most of it holds no water. Sierra has great sports, superb education, and great staff! Every year we have multiple teams making playoff in all sort of sports, we even won state two years in a row in boy s basketball, and had a 9 time state champion in track graduate from here. As for education, my class (C/O 09) had 80% of us go on to some sort college programs across the country. We had two students get accepted in to the Air force Academy, and C/O 10 had a student also get in to the Air Force Academy and one go to West Point, not that many schools can say they had students get accepted there! As for the staff they're excellent they want nothing more than for us to succeed in life and will bend over backwards to do it!!

Sierra High School 5

Posted January 20, 2011
Sierra High School is one of the most underated high schools in Colorado. The people of Colorado Springs refuse to give any appreciation or credit to producing the next generation of athletes, teachers, or any other leaders because Sierra is widely diverse, I should know I'm a Stallion, class of 2014 baby! What most of these people say isn't true, the school isn't 75% minorities. There are no minorities, the academics are challenging for anyone in any grade, and Sierra used to be a bad school, the senior classes of 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 really cleaned the place up, granted there are a few a bad seeds there but they are weeded out, and Sierra pushes toward academic excellence by involving everybody, the students and the parents. Why not give the Stallions a chance, just because it's in a bad part of town doesn't mean its that bad a school. Why not look at Harrison, I went to school with some of their 2014 students, and they are worse. Forget all those D-11 and D-20 schools they're rich and snobby. Give the Stallions a chance, they might change your mind

Posted September 16, 2009
Sierra is a school in the middle of alot of poverty, middle class and lower incomes. They are a very diverse school that gives teenagers the best they can, preparing them for the world thru academics and sports. They have to complete a portfolio to graduate, and amongst what they have to do to complete this is to volunteer. Great people come out of this school. I know, one is my son :-)

Posted June 15, 2009
I am a former student and completely regret my 2 years at this school. From the diversity standpoint, 75% of the school was minorities. I may have gone to this school, but I know that 75% is the majority! When there are programs and the like for 'minorities,' it leaves me excluded and that's not right. Academically, there was no challenge at all. The school lowered their standards to where nearly half the school was on the Honor Roll every quarter - some of these kids were failing classes! As for the teachers, save for only two, they couldn't care less about me and my academic advancement. Most often I was excluded from group activities because I was 'an unfair advantage.' That's discrimination! I'd give this school a negative rating if I could!

Posted January 15, 2009
I am a substitute teacher for Sierra H.S. and, in truth, I wouldn't wish the treatment I received from the students and administration on my worst enemy. The students are proud of their belligerence and disrespect to guests in the classroom and the disciplinarians do not do much to ensure teacher safety. The school needs to get their act together and find competent, reliable mentors and programs so that they can take care of these obvious cries for help.

Posted December 03, 2008

2250 Jet Wing Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80916
(719) 579-2090
Last modified Sierra High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sierra High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top