Colorado Springs, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted April 21, 2014
My son attends Kindergarten here. He didn't have any prior preschool learning and my fault as the parent I didn't think to start teaching him. So he struggled trying to learn especially being a left handed kid and his father has a learning disability. But I am so proud to say he has improved so much from the first quarter till now the 3rd. He's on top of his work and I couldn't be any more proud and it's all thanks to his teacher Ms.Swenson and Otero. The curriculum and level they are learning at I am amazed and impressed with what she's been working on with the kids. Seeing him improve also pushed my husband and I to work harder with him at home, which is why I believe some parents may have complained about their kids but seriously the teachers do their part and we have to do ours !. So I give Otero a very high rating because my son is more confident than ever and I am very happy for him and how much he has grown academically since attending here.

Posted September 28, 2013
2nd year for my son at Otero. Teachers are very good. They really seem to care. Academically my son thrives. Admin staff not always kind. It feels as if they forget the person and focus only on tasks and policies.

Otero Elementary School 1

Posted July 09, 2013
The teacher was not very encouraging to my child but she was sure to reprimanded them. When it came time for progress reports they would score my child low and during parent teacher conference the teacher would say "this does not represent what your child knows." It was obvious that the teacher had her favorites. This greatly prohibited my child from learning and excelling. My child is reading and she didn't explain that there were programs available for my child to participate in. I felt that the teacher did not have the drive to deal with the children at times. I'm not sure if it was the lack of funding, resources or teaching experience but Otero could use a lot of improvement. The office staff was also very uninviting. They made it seem like you were an inconvenience to their time. (In regards to the comment that teachers don't pay attention to their students. I too observed this when I went for a visit. The majority of the teachers are young and like to discuss their personal life.)

Otero Elementary School 3

Posted May 14, 2012
My daughter attended Otero from Kindergarten through 5th grade and did very well there. My son currently attends and is doing extremely well in his class. There are a few areas that I believe the school could excel in such as providing more student teachers or Aides in the classrooms. Right now the student to teacher ratios seem high- 1:28. Because of the different learning abilities within each class (special needs, ESL, gifted and just plain not ready for school) more interaction between students would help. Also, more after school activities like sports, drama, etc would be a great way for kids to have more extracurricular activities and have more invested in their education. This school has the potential to be one of the best elementary schools in District 2 alongside Soaring Eagles and James Irwin. Parents could benefit from more interaction in the PTA and being more involved in the classroom in general. Overall, the teachers and staff are doing a phenomenal job considering the diversity and dynamics of a primarily military families area school.

Posted May 06, 2012
I love having my daughter at Otero and even though we have moved out of the district we still make the drive to school everyday. The teachers work so hard to make sure every child succeeds and the staff is amazing. The classwork is engaging and really makes it fun for the kids to learn and helps them want to meet higher goals. We are military but have decided without a doubt to keep our child at Otero until we are moved out of state. We are blessed to have found such a fantastic school.

Posted May 02, 2012
My children have attended Otero elementary school for 2 years and have had a great experience. We are a military family that moves a lot, I was concerned about entering another school, but Otero made our transition so easy! The teachers and staff are highly motivated and eager to teach, they seem to find creative ways to encourage learning while sticking to the curriculum. I have had the pleasure of being able to volunteer within the school and the classrooms and it has been great to see kids excited to learn!

Posted May 02, 2012
Otero Elementary and Harrison School District 2 are doing wonderful things. My son should be going to WSD3, but because of the wonderful things going on, I switched him to Otero! Otero has wonderful, driven, and dedicated teachers! The administrators are absolutely dedicated to providing any and all things needed in order for all students to be successful. The school also has a V.I.P. program for Very Involved Parents and a very active PTA. Their core beliefs are: To improve student academic achievement. Effective instruction makes the most difference in student academic achievement. There is no excuse for poor quality instuction. With our help, at-risk students will achieve at the same rate as non at-risk students. Staff members must have a commitment to children AND a commitment to the pursuit of excellence. The Mission is "Our enduring mission is to emplower students to reach their greatest potential as life - long learners in both academic achievement and character development.

Posted December 02, 2011
My daughter returned to Otero for her second year there and I have to say that the school is doing well. Not perfect, but the effort is there. This year, I don't see "some" of the excellent teachers that were there last year (to include a counselor), but there are still a number of caring educational leaders still there this year. I have seen some kids there that I wish my daughter didn't have to attend school with, but it is easy to see that those kid's issues lead back to their parents, people who can't see the obvious in themselves, and wouldn't care to fix it if they did. I will stick with and support Otero Elementary and its staff as I see great potential in the school. I would like to see the morning gathering of the students in the gym once again as I thought it added to the school spirit that was building. Finally I would like to give large kudos to the librarian and ask the other teachers to keep the spirit alive. I know it is tough, but we are counting on you.

Otero Elementary School 1

Posted August 20, 2011
If your child fits into the box of their "pefered" student, life is good at Otero. Children who face any sort of challenge, or are military are like "problem" children. We are hoping to move our child soon. Although my husband and I are intelligent people we are spoken to like we don't have a brain between our ears, and the Principle and Vice Principle are more concerned with their status and appearance than anything else. They often give the "oh yes I totally understand" look and then seem to worry more about everything but what is wrong in their school.

Otero Elementary School 0

Posted October 21, 2009
I would not recommend this school for my worst enemy. Students have little supervision, problems are continual or progressive. I have met with the teacher, Principal, and Vice-principal only to see no results. No communication from teachers or staff unless you absolutely demand it! Disorganized and and uninformed staff!!!!!

Otero Elementary School
1650 Charmwood Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80906
Last modified Otero Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Otero Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top