Colorado Springs, CO

Otero Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2015
Although the staff at this school seem to have the best intentions, they seem overly stressed. It shows in the way they interact with our children. The things I have witnessed in this school were both disrespectful and demeaning to the students. This will be our second year with Otero and I hope to see big changes that put the care and education of our students first. I encourage all parents to pay attention to what this school is doing for our students this year.

Otero Elementary School 1

Posted June 18, 2015
The guidance counselor at this school needs to go back to college and learn how to work kids that are not neurotypical. The administrative staff needs to take responsibility for poor choices, lack of challenging matieral being presented to students who are above grade levels, creation of a poor learning environment and stressing a child on the asd spectrum to the point they will leave the building.

Otero Elementary School
Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
my child has had a horrible year in this school. Her academic performance was outstanding, however the indirect positive reinforcement for negative behaviors has caused me many sleepless nights and i have contacted many people. The school psychologist and the principle also have refused to even acknowledge receipt of an e-mail I sent to them regarding my childs diagnosis and asking them to acknowledge the correlation of behaviors and the diagnosis. I feel like the actions by admin staff and others are simply they want to suspend a child and label them with emotional disturbances rather than actually looking at the fact that the child can be twice exceptional, in suspending the child repeatedly they are simply trying to set the child up for expulsion instead of trying to get the child an education. if you have a child who is exceptionally gifted, you should challenge them in the classroom instead of insisting upon keeping them in the same matieral that they are bored of. Bored children leads to poor behavioral performances. It has been proven many times, if you keep a childs brain busy, they will perform much better behavioral wise.

Posted April 21, 2014
My son attends Kindergarten here. He didn't have any prior preschool learning and my fault as the parent I didn't think to start teaching him. So he struggled trying to learn especially being a left handed kid and his father has a learning disability. But I am so proud to say he has improved so much from the first quarter till now the 3rd. He's on top of his work and I couldn't be any more proud and it's all thanks to his teacher Ms.Swenson and Otero. The curriculum and level they are learning at I am amazed and impressed with what she's been working on with the kids. Seeing him improve also pushed my husband and I to work harder with him at home, which is why I believe some parents may have complained about their kids but seriously the teachers do their part and we have to do ours !. So I give Otero a very high rating because my son is more confident than ever and I am very happy for him and how much he has grown academically since attending here.

Otero Elementary School 4

Posted September 28, 2013
2nd year for my son at Otero. Teachers are very good. They really seem to care. Academically my son thrives. Admin staff not always kind. It feels as if they forget the person and focus only on tasks and policies.

Otero Elementary School 1

Posted July 09, 2013
The teacher was not very encouraging to my child but she was sure to reprimanded them. When it came time for progress reports they would score my child low and during parent teacher conference the teacher would say "this does not represent what your child knows." It was obvious that the teacher had her favorites. This greatly prohibited my child from learning and excelling. My child is reading and she didn't explain that there were programs available for my child to participate in. I felt that the teacher did not have the drive to deal with the children at times. I'm not sure if it was the lack of funding, resources or teaching experience but Otero could use a lot of improvement. The office staff was also very uninviting. They made it seem like you were an inconvenience to their time. (In regards to the comment that teachers don't pay attention to their students. I too observed this when I went for a visit. The majority of the teachers are young and like to discuss their personal life.)

Otero Elementary School 3

Posted May 14, 2012
My daughter attended Otero from Kindergarten through 5th grade and did very well there. My son currently attends and is doing extremely well in his class. There are a few areas that I believe the school could excel in such as providing more student teachers or Aides in the classrooms. Right now the student to teacher ratios seem high- 1:28. Because of the different learning abilities within each class (special needs, ESL, gifted and just plain not ready for school) more interaction between students would help. Also, more after school activities like sports, drama, etc would be a great way for kids to have more extracurricular activities and have more invested in their education. This school has the potential to be one of the best elementary schools in District 2 alongside Soaring Eagles and James Irwin. Parents could benefit from more interaction in the PTA and being more involved in the classroom in general. Overall, the teachers and staff are doing a phenomenal job considering the diversity and dynamics of a primarily military families area school.

Posted May 06, 2012
I love having my daughter at Otero and even though we have moved out of the district we still make the drive to school everyday. The teachers work so hard to make sure every child succeeds and the staff is amazing. The classwork is engaging and really makes it fun for the kids to learn and helps them want to meet higher goals. We are military but have decided without a doubt to keep our child at Otero until we are moved out of state. We are blessed to have found such a fantastic school.

Otero Elementary School 4

Posted May 02, 2012
My children have attended Otero elementary school for 2 years and have had a great experience. We are a military family that moves a lot, I was concerned about entering another school, but Otero made our transition so easy! The teachers and staff are highly motivated and eager to teach, they seem to find creative ways to encourage learning while sticking to the curriculum. I have had the pleasure of being able to volunteer within the school and the classrooms and it has been great to see kids excited to learn!

Posted May 02, 2012
Otero Elementary and Harrison School District 2 are doing wonderful things. My son should be going to WSD3, but because of the wonderful things going on, I switched him to Otero! Otero has wonderful, driven, and dedicated teachers! The administrators are absolutely dedicated to providing any and all things needed in order for all students to be successful. The school also has a V.I.P. program for Very Involved Parents and a very active PTA. Their core beliefs are: To improve student academic achievement. Effective instruction makes the most difference in student academic achievement. There is no excuse for poor quality instuction. With our help, at-risk students will achieve at the same rate as non at-risk students. Staff members must have a commitment to children AND a commitment to the pursuit of excellence. The Mission is "Our enduring mission is to emplower students to reach their greatest potential as life - long learners in both academic achievement and character development.

Otero Elementary School
1650 Charmwood Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80906
Last modified Otero Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Otero Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top