Community Leadership Academy

Charter | K-8 | 494 students

Posted February 23, 2014

I love that the school is strict,they work hard at keeping the students focused,so much time at their public school was playing,birthday parties,teachers spending so much time on disipline.This school is like having your child in a private school without the cost.The uniforms are great,and in this day and age of school violance. the security that this school provides gives me great piece of mind.Its a controlled enviroment thats not found in Public Schools.Great Teachers,My child is a first grader ,although he is not hispanic,he loves his friends and they speak english well,and have taught him some spanish.The children say school is hard,but are happy about being smart.

Posted January 6, 2014

Very disapointed. The preschool program has great teachers, however, there is no color on the walls, they are not allowed to decorate leaving the children with little to look at. Boring. The rest of the school is strict with teachers screaming at kids, never OK. I don't think most of the teachers are very happy here. I am taking out one of my kids, my other two will have to finish out the year. There is NO parental involvment, this was my first but not last huge disapointment. Also, no field trips, no class parties, no excitement, no fun. Just work work work like adults. These are NOT adults, they're children, you HAVE to give them room to have fun. One of my children has done well, has a great teacher and is learning to read better then ever, but my other (who used to be a straight A student) is struggling. The principal is very intimidating and not personable. My kids have had racist comments thrown at them. The school feels threatened by parents wanting to get involved (they don't want you to see what's really going on behind the scenes I guess) and they don't even have a PTA! Not going there next year.

Posted October 24, 2013

i am a student at CLA and i love it.sure we have to take tests every friday but we do activities before and after one.i may not like the uniforms but u got used to it since i have been there since kindergarten .many people drop down from grades but it is for their own good.parents and students may complain about that but it is for child's and your own good.teachers put us in lower grades because they want the best for us and to be succe.who knows, maybe you may be a doctor or a teacher or some thing else.since i have been there i have noticed my school go up,my grades and our protection.i really dont see any thing else that is wrong with my school. P.S. i am in 6th grade this year and my grades keep succeeding

Posted October 22, 2013

One star is generous. I attended this school in the past. Everyday I was ridiculed by teachers and students for asking questions about the school's methods of teaching. Being a white person in the school (which makes up 3% of the student population) is unheard of. I was bullied everyday for not being "Mexican enough" and was bullied even worse for standing up for the African American community. I gave nothing against anyone, but I don't tolerate hate. Education is poor, and by the end of my Math semester, I was remedial when I should be well above proficient as I was Advanced in all other subjects. If you want a nonbiased actual education, Commerce City is not the city for it.

Posted May 23, 2013

Community Leadership Academy is a great school. I'm really happy with my child performed, she loves school, only is was a little less homework, my kids have to take the bus, wake up 6:40, be in school from 8-4 then came about 4:30, then dinner time, homework, bath, bedtime, is really hard, they have to enjoy being kids too.

Posted May 21, 2013

I am torn... I feel like all this school teaches is preparation to take tests. The homework that my son has is 3 pages every night of writing sentences 5 times each. He learns nothing from this homework. It reminds me of when a child gets in trouble and they have to write a sentence 50 times. Every Friday is test day and the child has to take tests all day long. There is no room for creativity or fun while learning. But this school is 70 out of 1000 top schools in an area where most of the schools are in the 800 and 900 s.

Posted May 30, 2012

I don't know why there's so many low ratings but CLA is an excellent school. I can tell you because i'm a student there and i have no complaints. if you dont believe me look at the CSAP scores and compare them to the other schools in our area. the numbers don't lie. Everyday I wake up looking forward to going their. One of the best things about this organization is the enviroment. There is never bullying or any fights at our school and the staff is absolutely incredible. Thanks to this school my future is brighter than it would've been in any other school

Posted May 24, 2012

First of all, I think that it's all preference on where a parent wants to send their child. Everything cannot meet everyone's needs or be perfect. This was my child's first year at CLA (kindergarten). She loved it! She excelled and I do see it even at home. You must work with your kids, regardless of their levels and their teachers. The uniform is great. Yes, it costs money, but so do any school clothes you would otherwise buy your child. My child has come out of her shy shell and reads well and just is glowing from her experiences this year. Being in CC I would have NEVER sent her anywhere else. The other elementary schools she would have been in the minority and not challenged. I would've had to enroll her in Brighton or somewhere else. Also, I am pretty sure that the assistants (paras) do have to take a test now or have associates degrees. I worked in the Brighton district as a para and that was a requirement. Again parents are the primary teachers of their children besides school. Love the fact there is homework daily too (even if kindergarten).

Posted October 13, 2011

As a parent and professional educator, I feel the need to describe this school and all the reasons why students should NOT attend CLA. Test Preparation - To begin, a great deal of the day and school year is focused on teaching to the Colorado Standardized Test. To prepare for this test, students spend hours a day taking practice tests and reviewing the answers. This means that students spend much of their time at CLA sitting at their desks, filling in page after page of multiple choice questions. Ability Grouping - This school prides themselves of the fact that their students' are placed in math and reading groups based on their ability. The fact is, if your student is above or below grade level at either math or reading, they are likely to be assigned to a group that is taught by an unqualified teacher's assistant. Teacher assistants at CLA are only required to hold a high school diploma, which makes you wonder weather these assistants are capable of providing gifted and struggling learners with the support they need? Special Ed. and Accommodations - My son rarely received the help he needed due to poor student to teacher ratios and lack of resources.

Posted April 18, 2011

I am shocked at all the low ratings here. My kindergartener enjoys school and her teacher tells me she is above level in reading etc...now I am going to have to look into that since it seems that many children upon switching schools are, in fact, NOT where they should be. Other than that, her teacher is great- she communicates very well with me about what's going on and if she ever has concerns. Uniforms can be expensive though

Posted January 21, 2010

My child was so unhappy at CLA so we took him out 1 1/2 months after school started and he couldn't be happier at his new school. He looks forward to going to school now. He would cry when he had to go to CLA. We are welcomed to participate at school and are always treated well by the teachers and administrators. We can even have lunch with him. This was not the case at CLA. Parents were not allowed in the building for any reason. And if they did have to go in incase of an emergency, they were scrutinized by the administrators. I wouldn t recommend this school to my worst enemy. I feel bad for the kids that are going there now.

Posted December 19, 2009

At CLA my child was advanced in reading and math. So I was told by the teachers. I moved her schools and sure enough she was nowhere near where I was told by CLA teachers. She is now needing interventions in reading. Below grade level and struggling to catch up. My child is so happy at her new school.

Posted December 17, 2009

We also took our children out of Community Leadership Academy and they are now struggling at the Dist. school we moved them to. We should have known this would happen with the low CSAP scores the school has recived since they have been open.

Posted December 9, 2009

This is a beautiful building that many people campaigned for and started out so well. That said we are removing our students as we feel threatened and intimidated by the schools administration for trying participate in our students learning and asking questions. Our children have become very unhappy to go to this school.

Posted October 30, 2009

This school turned out to be a big disappointment to many parents that were looking forward to providing their children with a charter school education. What a shame.

Posted November 19, 2008

I have 3 students that attend CLA and have to express that they have been a blessing to my childrens education. They have kindergarteners reading by the time they get into first grade. It also helps that the school has ability grouping for math and reading so that children may learn at their own level and all children are learning the same thing in a class. The school has gome through some hardships, it's only the 4th year in operation, but I can defenitely say things are coming together and things are only getting better.

Posted February 28, 2008

The school receives no support from the school district and very little support from parents (although it is improving). It has a large turn over of teachers and can't seem to keep a Principle. It is surprising that it has remained open with all the problems they have had to overcome in the past three years. Most conserning is that the children are still being taught in small trailers that are hard to keep maintained and clean. Parking and student drop off and pick up is still in need of organization. I have great hopes that when this school is able to get a more permanent ground it could actually have a chance to do what the original founders wanted.

Posted November 18, 2007

CLA is a school which address the needs of every student. Through instructional level grouping in Reading and Math, individual student monitoring and interventions & a rich Core Knowlege curriculum, each student finds her/his own passion for learning and finds a life long love of learning.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students84%

Students without disabilities56%
Limited English proficiency (LEP)30%
Neither migrant nor immigrant49%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 85%N/A41%
Male 47%N/A51%
Female 53%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6880 Holly St