No rating

St James Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 15 students

Living in Denver

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $262,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted June 28, 2014

This school used to be wonderful with great academics and a terrific atmosphere for the students as well as their families. Unfortunately, things have changed drastically : the constant staff turnover and the fluctuation of the calander is ridiculous and I'm extremely disappointed with the consequence system. Some of the teachers have absolutely no regard for especting the parents. I know of one instance where a child spoke one word while walking down the hallway with his class and his mother was called in from work in the middle of the day; all because her child said "oops". I've recently pulled out my son from the school and realized, among other things, that my son was really missing out on a proper education compared to the school he attends now. I would highly recommend that you look at other schools because there is absolutely no benefit to sending your child here.

Posted May 14, 2014

This is an excellent school and one to which I am proud to send my children. I have two current students here and two of my children have graduated and gone on to Catholic high school. My children have been challenged academically and have grown to be strong Catholic young adults thanks to St. James. The statements made by a couple of the other parents here are simply not true. The principal is a fully licensed school administrator with several degrees in education. When she took over at St. James the enrollment was down to only 130 students, the academics were a mess, and the Catholic identity of the school was completely lacking. Enrollment is now at 250 students, one hundred percent of our eighth graders are accepted to Catholic high schools and even score in the top ten on the high school placement test, and we are a strongly Catholic school. Calendar changes happen anywhere you go and sometimes a last minute change is necessary, but these situations have been few and far between here. Every member of the faculty is a practicing Catholic. The faculty is a wonderful mix of veteran and new teachers, who are vibrant and excited to be there. We love this school!

Posted March 8, 2014

Do not send your child to this school, you will regret it! Teacher turnover is incredibly high due to lack of leadership from the incompetent principal. As a matter of fact, she doesn't even have the proper administrative credentials to be principal! She was brought in by Father Felix several years ago to act as his puppet and has managed to stay on, even though she has dragged the school down tremendously. The teachers they do have here are very inexperienced and for many, this is their first job right out of school. As another reviewer stated, she has no regard for the difficulty of finding child care and she has often changed the school calandar at the last minute. Just one of the many examples of why I have zero respect for this principal and have been so disappointed with st James to the point that I pulled my kids out halfway though the semester. Think long and hard before sending them here!!!

Posted December 30, 2013

The Christmas program this year just blew me away! The students, parents, teachers and staff continue to impress me away year after year. Six years ago, St. James was a school in decline. Today, I would put St. James up against any school in the area - it simply outperforms the rest.

Posted November 20, 2013

This is our first year at St. James and I must say it has met all of my expectations and more! I think the Principal, teachers, staff are wonderful. I think the curriculum is strong. I appreciate the way they teach the Catholic faith. I want to instill in my children the beliefs and values I grew up with and St. James is the perfect school to reinforce what we teach at home.

Posted November 5, 2013

We love St. James, we love the teachers and we love the principal. I would imagine that families that are not Catholic would not like the emphasis on the Catholic faith, but it is a CATHOLIC school, and we love it. Having grown up in public schools all my life, I feel like St. James is a HUGE step up. You can drill all the math and science in the world into your children, and it is good to understand the physical world, but what about the really big questions? The purpose of life, the reason for suffering, right and wrong. St. James does a great job addressing both faith and reason. I also love the student body, which is very diverse and from all economic and social backgrounds. Also, a previous comment said that enrollment is going down, this is not true. Enrollment is at an almost all time high. The folks at St. James deserve nothing but our community's thanks. I think St. James will prepare my children to be good and do good.

Posted September 13, 2013

St. James School is a wonderful family, the Principal is very involved, the teachers want the kids to succeed and learn, has small class sizes, and there are many opportunities of sports and with an emphasis on the Catholic Faith.

Posted March 27, 2013

I have three students that attend St. James and I would say it is a great school. One review said that St. James has a one-size fits all approach to education. This is just not true. As a parent, it is sometimes difficult to realize that the world doesn t revolve around your child. St. James has a firm academic and Catholic approach to education. It s not a watered-down version of Catholicism that you see in a lot of churches and schools these days. The teachers provide a nurturing environment where everyone is welcome. What you want from a school is to teach your child how to succeed on their own and that is exactly what you will get at St. James. The students here are challenged academically and spiritually. If you don t see the importance of both, all you need to do is drive past any public school. The faculty and staff at St. James are wonderful. St. James simply out performs several of the other schools in the area. (Check the archdiocese website.) St. James students continually have some of the highest scores on the high school entrance exam. This was highlighted this year where one student had the highest score on the high school entrance exam.

Posted December 17, 2012

This school has great kids that come from wonderful families. Sadly this school has a one-size fits all approach to education and lacks the ability to apply common sense to everyday situations. My child attended St. James for two and A half years and it was a terrible experience for her and our family. In addition, this school is totally disorganized and changes the school calendar at a whim making childcare arrangements very difficult on working parents. Run don't just walk away from this school.

Posted May 1, 2012

I previously posted about how wonderful this school was. Was, the key word. The 1st year the new principal was great, and over the last 2 years there has been a steady decline in parent support and respect. Every year there is a huge turnover in staff for such a small school. The new assistant principal is no better. The academics are not bad but not excellent. Parents do your homework before you sign on the dotted line!

Posted December 21, 2011

We really wanted this school to work out. it's our neighborhood Catholic School but we had to move our kids to another school after trying for 3 years. The principal is convinced it's always the staff (not her) that is the problem and consistently used the clean sweep every year (not renewing contracts). It made all the teachers walk on eggshells and the school is in a constant state of flux with all new teachers each year. Academics could just never get up to par of the other Catholic schools in the area. Until it is under new direction and has a few years to stabilize I would recommend you look elsewhere.

Posted October 11, 2011

My Son attended St. James Catholic School for two years. We ended up moving him to another Catholic School do to the Principal, which is so sad because the school is very close to our home. The teachers are great if only they would stay, the turn over is very high due to this principal. My advice look at other Catholic Schools. St Pius X in Aurora is an excellent school with a superior principal!

Posted August 5, 2011

We have been with St. James for 6 years! Since Preschool, the school has made my husband and I a part of the St. James Family by involving us in all aspects of our daughters academic year. The classes are always favorable with student/teacher ratio. Our daughers academic excellences and concerns have always been addressed immediately. St James offers sports year round to fit anyones interest or talent. Art is also an after school option along with Liturgical Choir. Sports Programs are #1! The Jayhawks Widgets Basketball (both boys and girls) clinched both division titles "Division Champs" Girls, "Best Sportsmanship" Boys! After school care always the right amount of study time, quiet time and play time. Father Felix, St James Pastor, is truly beautiful with all the children, Whether teaching sacramental study or saying mass on Sunday, Father will always stop to say hello to the children and knows all of them by name. My daughter will of course complain about the homework but she wouldn't have anthing other than St. James. . She grew up there from Preschool.Changes and all, we love it. The staff is getting to where it needs to be, slowly but surely.

Posted June 9, 2010

Old School = Exception School, the focus of this school is the three r's. The students here LEARN.

Posted May 8, 2010

The teachers and principal are happy, involved and intelligent. They not only teach academics, but teach the children how to be well adjusted members of society, instilling values of Love of God, respect to others, volunteerism, how to make the right choices. There are many opportunities of sports and team spirit. It is a well diversified school!

Posted March 31, 2010

I'm very disappointed in the principal and the lack of leadership.

Posted February 3, 2010

Our family started at another local Catholic School but soon switched to St. James. The small class sizes (capped at 18 students for preschool and 20 students for k-8th) make a huge difference in the learning environment. The Principal is very involved and accessible. Likewise, i can not say enough about the high quality of the teachers. The specials starting at preschool (Spanish, P.E., Music and Art) truly make it an exceptional school

Posted October 23, 2009

My children are thriving here!

Posted October 10, 2009

We love this school. We feel it is a much better school with the new teaching staff. My children have never been happier or healthier!

Posted October 8, 2009

St. James is the answer for parents looking for individual attention, a family atmosphere, and non-pretencious settings. This is a quality school with loving teachers! Plus, the new playground and soccerfield is agreat draw.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious