No rating

Montessori School of Denver

Private | PK-8 | 303 students

Living in Denver

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $201,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted Saturday, October 18, 2014

MSD is an excellent school for a growing child. The kids develop a love for learning and for their community. The teachers adapt learning programs to individual student needs (versus forcing a one size fits all approach). We have been at the school for eight years and are very pleased. There are many long serving teachers and faculty members.

Posted August 12, 2014

Horrible School. As others said it's very cliquy. They don't accept "outsiders." The teachers are okay, but don't really listen to you or address your concerns. The administration, although they may listen, don't care unless you are one of the Rich snobs, that can give them more money. I and others I know also, found when we left MSD, that are kids were way behind their peers. My daughter was considered two grades below where she should have been. Don't go there, it's a big waste of your money. There are far better schools in the Denver area!

Posted November 11, 2013

I can't say enough about the dedicated teachers and staff. Very supportive leadership, teachers are caring and committed. The other day I saw teachers and kids playing together and enjoying each other. It takes a village and they have one!,

Posted November 9, 2013

I love that MSD's elementary curriculum is 100% individualized. My 2nd grade son comes into the classroom each day to find a personalized lesson plan--with choices in place. He feels like he controls his learning, yet he is held accountable and his success is measured in every minute detail of each discipline. His teachers have instilled in him the desire to push hard to learn more, and he is always motivated to move ahead. (And I'd like to add that while the choice of the school is dependent on what's best for my children not for me personally, I happen to adore the community which has been warm, fun, and inclusive.)

Posted November 6, 2013

Amazing school, amazing teachers, administration is adequate. I do wish there was more of a sense of inclusiveness with all families , but that is okay! We are in the middle school now and LOVE the new middle school teacher! He understands middle schoolers and we have seen our daughter grow so much academically and emotionally!! Thanks!

Posted October 24, 2013

We had a poor experience with this school and our son now happily attends another independent school. The teachers and administration are not open to making changes or to accommodating the needs of individual children. The parents are very "social" in a cliquey sense and the entire atmosphere is false. Beautiful campus, beautiful classrooms and library. Look underneath, very carefully, before you sign on for this place.

Posted January 15, 2013

To be brief, the teachers are dedicated, the administration is cold and quite full of themselves and the campus is beautiful.

Posted October 29, 2012

We have been at MSD several years and absolutely love it. The teachers are incredibly skilled and supportive, and my son is learning things in kindergarten that my other son (who is in a HGT program at another school) didn't learn until later. The school helps facilitate a true love of learning, and has a supportive community of engaged parents. The Montessori approach is amazing - we couldn't be happier and are planning on staying through 8th grade.

Posted October 26, 2012

This school look good but it is not a great school. If you have any issues, the teacher and admin will listen, but nothing will be done. The parent population is very cliquey and you can not voice your opinion. Your child needs to be the norm to do well here however, if your child has any issues or need a little attention, they will not receive it and they will be ignored.

Posted July 20, 2011

I didn't have a great experience with this school. There is no real solid academics to speak of. The main concentration is on social skills. Your child will be very polite when leavening the school, but it doesn't go much beyond that. We are leavening MSD & to my surprise my child is behind in reading, spelling, & math. She was never exposed to Everyday Math & her new school is very involved in it. This whole summer I have had to do tutoring in reading & math. If you are looking into this school, make sure you have your child regularly evaluated by someone outside of the MSD system. MSD is also huge on contributions. You will receive NUMEROUS e-mails and flyers about donations. It's over the top and they make you feel like it's mandatory. I would only recommend MSD for 3 yr. old to pre-school, but then I would highly suggest moving to a different. school.

Posted January 10, 2011

We love MSD -- there is a great community, the parents and staff are engaged and fun! And most of all, it is a terrific place for developing curious minds. My two kids, both very different learners, have been challenged and supported year after year. My oldest, now in 7th grade (MSD only goes through 6th grade) is probably at least two years ahead of his peers academically. But what we treasure is the love of learning our boys now both have.

Posted December 13, 2010

I am not a parent involved with other parents at the school to any great degree-that is an option at MSD, but not a requirement for a positive experience. My 2 children, who are very different learners, have both had a wonderful education and have thrived in the loving environment of MSD. These very involved teachers know my children, care deeply for them, have expectations and tools to help them reach goals and love learning. This has been the best possible foundation for middle school and beyond. My son matriculated to a public environment and has thrived socially and academically.

Posted June 16, 2010

In a word: AWESOME. My kindergartner just finished a year at MSD, and he and his classmates were doing multiplication, division, and fractions.

Posted March 18, 2010

MSD is a great school. The teachers are awesome, and so are the students. The teachers let you explore create and learn. I am in Upper Elementary, our head of school is Stephanie Flanigan. Every day I love to go to school. they have classes and experiences you will not have at any other school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 12, 2010

MSD falls short on 2 key factors. 1. All ages should receive 3 hours of uninterrupted work. At MSD they are really only getting about 2 hours in the morning with the rest of the time spent on the playground and line time. 2. Extended primary for ages 5 and 6 gives the advanced primary student more time for work in the afternoon with smaller peer groups. What really happens is your 5 year old who misses the arbitrary age cutoff is sent to another classroom to 'rest' with other kids, some 4 year olds, who don't require the sleep offered in the nap room. There is some interaction with an assistant and work is allowed but the teachers remain with the extended primary kids in their classroom. Short staffing results in too much play time and low quality rest/work time. Anti Montessori methods from an otherwise excellent school.

Posted March 11, 2010

Our daughter used to fake every illness to get out of going to school. Since starting at MSD 3 years ago she is the happy, energetic, engaged child we were missing. The environment is structured yet individualized, and kids are encouraged to find and explore their passions. Teachers are amazing. GREAT school - we couldn't be happier!

Posted March 11, 2010

We moved both our kids to MSD and are thrilled with the decision. In our experience three main things set the school apart: 1. exceptional leadership - head of school is committed, smart and engaged 2. Exceptional teachers / philosophy - each of the teachers we've had have been part of the school for years, and are creative, warm and dedicated. They always work to bring out the best in the kids 3. commitment to the mission - which is integrated into all activities and curriculum. This delightful school delivers on what it says, and our kids are thriving!

Posted March 10, 2010

Our family has been a part of the MSD community going on six years. MSD is truly a gem! We currently have two children at the school, and are confident that they are receiving a top notch education. My children look forward to going to school every day. They come home with excitement and passionate stories about what they've learned during their day. My children are very different, and the education they receive at MSD has complimented their individual personalities, strengths, and interests. Not only are they excelling in reading, writing, and math, they are thoughtful, engaged, socially conscious, and highly attuned to the future ahead of them. We feel extremely lucky to be a part of this community on so many levels. The teachers are outstanding! The administration is devoted to creating an excellent school, and they genuinely care about their families and community.

Posted March 1, 2010

We have two children at MSD and could not be more pleased with our experience over the past several years. As parents, we feel incredibly fortunate to have found MSD and it is a core reason we have stayed in the Denver area. The administration and faculty treat our children like the young adults they are, fostering independence and confidence in a thoughtful and compassionate way. This school stands behind its mission statement of creating global learners who do good in the world. My children are receiving a well rounded education in the core academic subjects as well as learning how to be a good citizen, leader and group member. It is refreshing and stabilizing to see a place where our children are truly cared for and assisted in becoming capable, contributing members of our future society.

Posted March 1, 2010

MSD has been the best thing I have ever done for my child. He is an articulate, compassionate, global thinker thanks to MSD. He has the knowledge that learning is fun and knows how to think rather than learning via rote memorization. Our entire family was embraced and welcomed by the MSD community, but the teachers are what really ROCKs this school.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• AMS
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (303) 757-6145

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori