Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted October 02, 2014
Stanley British Primary is a rich, exploratory K-8 school which celebrates each child's learning styles and curiosities and strikes a balance between the social-emotional and academic needs of children - difficult to find in schools today. Children are encouraged to ask questions, try things that push them out of their comfort zones and have the courage and confidence to speak up and voice their opinions, thoughts and wonders. Set on a beautiful, historic Denver campus, this community of teachers, parents and students are engaging, committed and welcoming.

Posted September 15, 2014
Stanley British Primary School is where my son started at Stanley as a kindergartner and now an incredibly self-aware, empowered and academically resourceful and as engaged 5th grader. The intentional integration, social emotional development and academic instruction to teach the whole child. Stanley celebrates each students gifts and talents. Many schools purport to do this, but Stanley has been a pioneer of this approach for over 40 years. Stanley students can critically and creatively problem solve, connect their learning to the world around them, and effectively collaborate and communicate with culturally and socioeconomically diverse groups of students. Stanley diagnosed my son's dyslexia,provided resources in his learning and embraced this gift instead of label/isolate him. He now is learning to be a leader to help others be successful with different learning capabilities. My family is privileged to be a part of this special school - I wish every child could have a Stanley BPS education as it celebrates the individual child with a focus on the their gifts and talents. The head of school has integrity and leads rather than react and the students are taught to self advocate.

Posted September 12, 2014
Stanley British Primary School is an accredited K-8 independent school with approximately 435 students. My daughter started at Stanley as a kindergartner and is now an incredibly self-aware, empowered and academically resourceful and engaged 9th grader. The British Primary philosophy intentionally integrates social emotional development and academic instruction to teach the whole child. Many schools purport to do this, but Stanley has been a pioneer of this approach for over 40 years. Stanley students are fully equipped "21st Century Learners" - students who can critically and creatively problem solve, connect their learning to the world around them, and effectively collaborate and communicate with culturally and socioeconomically diverse groups of students. Stanley is an inclusive community that values all families and appreciates and celebrates the ways our differences enhance human connection and understanding. My family is privileged to be a part of this special school - I wish every child could have a Stanley BPS education.

Posted September 12, 2014
Speaking as the parent of a 7th grader and a graduate (10 years so far at the school), Stanley is a very special place for kids and families! Student excitement about learning is palpable, from the new kindergarteners making self- portraits to the middle schoolers confidently explaining their science fair projects. Teachers devote their attention not only to creating stimulating lessons leading to academic discovery and practice, but also addressing the whole child through building respectful classroom communities and helping kids to discover who they are as learners. Read Elizabeth Green's "Building a Better Teacher" to understand more about why the Stanley philosophy and approach to teaching works so well to prepare kids for life after middle school. Stanley encourages kids to be curious about the world around them and to pursue their interests, while also developing the skills they'll need after they graduate.

Posted September 12, 2014
Sending our three children to Stanley BPS is the best parenting choice we've ever made! Each child has been treated as an individual by the most caring, intelligent and dedicated teachers on the planet. The head of the school is brilliant, open and humble and has done an excellent job to ensure the sustainability of this remarkable place. When you walk into a classroom, you immediately notice the strong mutual respect between teachers and students. One result of this is a happy and engaged class (teachers and students) where students experience the joy and pride of discovery from having "uncovered" learning rather than having it "covered" by the teacher. This method requires truly active engagement by both the student and the teacher and you can witness it every day. I wholeheartedly recommend this beautiful school.

Posted September 11, 2014
This school is great! Our children have been here for 2 years and they absolutely love Stanley. We initially were torn between public versus private, but we are so glad we chose Stanley. They have a real sense of community that fosters our children's creativity while also encouraging them to learn. We highly recommend Stanley!!!

Posted September 08, 2014
We have two children who attend Stanley British Primary School, one in 1st grade and one in Kindergarten. We heard about Stanley when our girls were still babies from close friends of ours whose children attended Stanley from Kindergarten through 8th grade. Stanley is a warm and inviting school - as a newer family to the school, we have been immediately included as part of the Stanley family. Our 1st grader attended Stanley for Kindergarten as well last year and she had an amazing first year. The teachers and interns are phenomenal - the children are truly listened to, cared about, and met on their own individual levels in all areas: socially, emotionally, and academically. Parent involvement is an integral part of the Stanley experience, and Stanley makes it possible for parents who work both in and outside of the home. We absolutely love Stanley!

Posted September 03, 2014
I am so impressed by Stanley and how it really stays true to the mission. My children are not only engaged in their own learning but they are intrinsically motivated! The love coming to school everyday and I attribute that to the amazing teachers and community!!! I feel so fortunate that we are part of this very special community!

Posted June 29, 2014
As a parent of two Stanley students, I do not understand comments about the headmaster and about the preferential treatment of "jocks". First, the headmaster is outstanding and one of the brightest educators I have known. Yes, the school does have to work within its own budget, and it is his job to be sure that happens. Within the Stanley community, he is revered and held in very high esteem. The "jocks" comment makes no sense at all -- maybe the person meant to review a different school? Athletics are embraced at Stanley, but there is a noncompetitive atmosphere and I cannot recall meeting any students who are intensely focused on athletics. As for the emphasis on test taking -- I am flummoxed by this comment. My kids have only ever been given one formal assessment test, and the teacher called to ask my permission first. Every teacher knows his or her students very well here and we feel fortunate to be part of it all.

Stanley British Primary School 2

Posted February 09, 2014
I have been a fan of Stanley BPS for many years but I feel I must add my voice to several here who have written about mission drift and a different direction that the school has taken in recent years. This was a school founded on the principles of love of children, love of learning, curiosity, curriculum skillfully interwoven, and teachers following the interests of the child. This is all eloquently stated in the school s materials. Sadly, very little of it holds true any more. There is now much more focus on adult-oriented goals, test scores, and top-down curriculum (as well as on fundraising). My middle school student, who began at Stanley with a joyous Kindergarten teacher, is overloaded with homework and tests. The school is no longer a place where individuals are celebrated nor where children are free to take risks to learn about themselves. They are getting pushed through the cookie cutter of traditional schooling and parents can find that option anywhere for a lot less money. There are still some good teachers at Stanley, but less curiosity. Take care to compare the information you receive with what is really happening in classrooms, particularly 3rd grade and up.

Stanley British Primary School
350 Quebec Street, Denver, CO  80230
Last modified Stanley British Primary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Stanley British Primary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top