Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Southmoor Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 06, 2015
My son came home extremely proud about getting a "good citizen" award for being respectful and kind. Since then he has make it a point to continue earning that award.

Posted September 06, 2015
This is our first year with Southmoor and we love it. The teachers are all very pleasant and our kids love them. The facilities are brand new and well done. The amount of communication we get from the school is incredible. The Principal has always been there for us and taken care of any issues we have had. We moved into the area specifically because of the great ratings this school had, and we couldn't be happier with our decision.

Southmoor Elementary School 1

Posted July 05, 2015
Bullying is a huge problem there and don't expect to be heard by principal or especially assistant principal -when describing the demeanor of the assistant principal two words come to mind dazed and confused. Definitely looking into a new school even if it means selling a house and moving to the other school district.

Posted August 05, 2014
I have a child in the HGT program and a child in the traditional program and I am highly satisfied with both programs. The school works hard at making sure each child has their needs being met. I have one child with a 504 in place and the school has been very helpful about the accommodations that are needed to help my student thrive. The new principal is a great addition.

Posted July 29, 2014
We love Southmoor. It's a great neighborhood DPS school that's focused on rigor for all students, no matter where they fall on the bell curve. Our principal is inspiring. Our parents are engaged. Our staff is the best combination of tenured/experienced and new/eager. Both of my children LOVE going to school.

Posted April 11, 2014
Southmoor is excellent. The teachers are talented, creative, and committed, and the environment is supportive. The new principal is wonderful: a strong, supportive leader. The HGT program is a godsend and the kids mix well between the HGT program and the traditional classes. Also, the music program is great: guitar club, choir, band, gospel choir, talent shows, etc.

Posted November 19, 2013
My children have attended Southmoor Elementary for the past 5 years. They love their teachers and are thriving. The new principal (August 2013) has been a great addition and we are very pleased with the teaching staff. My children are excited about school, have healthy friendships, are learning from adults who are invested in their overall growth and development. We love our Southmoor community and the school has been a home run for our family. We feel so lucky to be part of this school. I think Southmoor is a tremendous asset to the neighborhood.

Posted October 24, 2013
My daughter has been going to south moor since 2nd grade and we have enjoyed the curriculum . Its a great school.

Southmoor Elementary School 3

Posted March 06, 2013
There is so much potential here but the problems are bringing it down. Bullying has been a large problem that is not being addressed by the Principal. In the last two weeks, my son has been spit on, choked, punched in the head, pelted with sports balls and dragged to the ground during recesses. When I brought it up to his teacher, she said it's a big problem and actually gave me names of kids my child should avoid. The Principal came in to a parents meeting last month, showed next year's budget, not saying how she came to the figures but two teachers would have to be released. The next day, we receive a memo from her indicating that the parent committee recommended that two teachers be let go, essentially blaming others. On the other side, I have found my son's teachers to be extremely helpful and caring about his needs and the HGT program is strong, although the Principal has indicated that program may change. There is a leadership void at this school that needs to be addressed. Also, there is almost a class structure there whereas if you are not at an income level that matches the neighborhood surrounding the school, you are a lesser citizen. Currently researching other schools.

Southmoor Elementary School 2

Posted January 21, 2013
Very disappointed in southmoor. The principal is hardly visible, teachers don't feel valued or supported by the principal, and bullying is a huge problem. The overall atmosphere here is disconnected with a huge lack of communication on all ends. The overall atmosphere was so unhealthy that I pulled my child from the school. They need a complete change in every direction starting from the principal on down!

Southmoor Elementary School
3755 South Magnolia Way, Denver, CO  80237
Last modified Southmoor Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southmoor Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top