Posted August 05, 2014
I have a child in the HGT program and a child in the traditional program and I am highly satisfied with both programs. The school works hard at making sure each child has their needs being met. I have one child with a 504 in place and the school has been very helpful about the accommodations that are needed to help my student thrive. The new principal is a great addition.

Posted July 29, 2014
We love Southmoor. It's a great neighborhood DPS school that's focused on rigor for all students, no matter where they fall on the bell curve. Our principal is inspiring. Our parents are engaged. Our staff is the best combination of tenured/experienced and new/eager. Both of my children LOVE going to school.

Posted April 11, 2014
Southmoor is excellent. The teachers are talented, creative, and committed, and the environment is supportive. The new principal is wonderful: a strong, supportive leader. The HGT program is a godsend and the kids mix well between the HGT program and the traditional classes. Also, the music program is great: guitar club, choir, band, gospel choir, talent shows, etc.

Posted November 19, 2013
My children have attended Southmoor Elementary for the past 5 years. They love their teachers and are thriving. The new principal (August 2013) has been a great addition and we are very pleased with the teaching staff. My children are excited about school, have healthy friendships, are learning from adults who are invested in their overall growth and development. We love our Southmoor community and the school has been a home run for our family. We feel so lucky to be part of this school. I think Southmoor is a tremendous asset to the neighborhood.

Posted October 24, 2013
My daughter has been going to south moor since 2nd grade and we have enjoyed the curriculum . Its a great school.

Southmoor Elementary School 3

Posted March 06, 2013
There is so much potential here but the problems are bringing it down. Bullying has been a large problem that is not being addressed by the Principal. In the last two weeks, my son has been spit on, choked, punched in the head, pelted with sports balls and dragged to the ground during recesses. When I brought it up to his teacher, she said it's a big problem and actually gave me names of kids my child should avoid. The Principal came in to a parents meeting last month, showed next year's budget, not saying how she came to the figures but two teachers would have to be released. The next day, we receive a memo from her indicating that the parent committee recommended that two teachers be let go, essentially blaming others. On the other side, I have found my son's teachers to be extremely helpful and caring about his needs and the HGT program is strong, although the Principal has indicated that program may change. There is a leadership void at this school that needs to be addressed. Also, there is almost a class structure there whereas if you are not at an income level that matches the neighborhood surrounding the school, you are a lesser citizen. Currently researching other schools.

Southmoor Elementary School 2

Posted January 21, 2013
Very disappointed in southmoor. The principal is hardly visible, teachers don't feel valued or supported by the principal, and bullying is a huge problem. The overall atmosphere here is disconnected with a huge lack of communication on all ends. The overall atmosphere was so unhealthy that I pulled my child from the school. They need a complete change in every direction starting from the principal on down!

Posted November 13, 2012
Southmoor Elementary is a jewel in the DPS. This school is rich in teachers, has an excellent parent group and is located in a supportive community environment. My children have thrived and they continues to grow. The school communicates with parents, hosts all kinds of events to bring the community together and meets the needs of the kids. Southmoor is a great school.

Posted August 27, 2012
This is our 5th year at Southmoor. We have had an amazing experience-excellent teachers, strong parent involvement, wonderful cultural diversity, and a warm and caring staff and community. Our kids love school and are thriving academically. All schools face challenges and Southmoor is addressing those. Steps have been taken to alleviate class sizes. Test scores are climbing. The sense of positive energy and momentum is palpable. We are excited for another great year!

Posted August 14, 2012
We are so excited for a brand new school year at Southmoor! This school brings together the best of the best - teachers, kids and community. My child has loved the experience of being a Southmoor student, and as an involved parent, I have witnessed first hand how the collaboration of strong teachers, willing parent volunteers and good leadership can help a school be the best it can be. No school is perfect, and sadly, the districts are not either, but at Southmoor, everyone is committed to working together to overcome challenges and raise the school's level of academic performance, without losing focus on helping our kids grow as individuals. And it is working! Southmoor is growing and succeeding. We are so happy Southmoor is our neighborhood school...we walk to school each day with smiles on our faces!

Southmoor Elementary School
3755 South Magnolia Way, Denver, CO  80237
Last modified Southmoor Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southmoor Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.