Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Lowry Elementary School 1

Posted December 09, 2014
My child has had a very uneven 6 years here. Some years have been good and others have been awful. The PTO does a good job raising money but it always seems to be the same 30-40 parents at all events and there is little diversity in the PTO. Our biggest issue is with the school and district leadership, our child was the victim of an premeditated assault at the school by another student during an extracurricular activity and the the school basically did nothing about it. Despite the assault, complaints by other students, and a disturbing pattern of behavior, the offender is still in the extracurricular. My son is now afraid to go and hides behind bookcases when the offender's parents pick him up. This administration will not be there for your student in his or her time of need and will hide behind "policy and procedure" at every opportunity. I am glad my child will son be out of this school.

Posted October 05, 2014
Lowry is a relatively new school in a great neighborhood. Pros - The parents are very involved in the school donating both their time and money. The facilities and nice, clean and like new. There are 3 different playgrounds to separate children by age groups and the kids wear uniforms. The academics are rigorous and you can expect honest feedback regarding your child. The cafeteria is focused on healthy food options and they serve vegetables from their garden. Cons - maybe not the best school for children with special needs. The grass field often has geese that leave a mess. Sometimes the school and teachers announce events with short notice.

Lowry Elementary School 4

Posted September 27, 2014
So far, not bad. We came from a private school. so our experiences are different. Pros: Active PTO, the GT teacher integrates non-GT into her programs, and enrichment offerings. Cons: Getting too big, the bussed in kids that get into fights daily on the playground, the lack of communication for some SPED issues (you have to be on your GAME), and lack of tech for kids who need assisted ed. I have to provide my son's laptop. I think some other parents would just give up. I'm on the fence about the math, because they spend too long on below-grade level junk, but maybe I'm old school. All in all, it's a relatively good school for DPS. I do wish it were a little more rigorous in some areas, but time will tell. I do think the building and environment is clean and open, but man, those office ladies are snippy as all heck.

Posted February 27, 2014
My daughter is in Kindergarten and we love this school. Her teacher Ms. Epp is very involved with the children and keeps us very well informed about her progress. It is in a great neighborhood and she has made great friends. We hope to keep her there!!

Posted February 19, 2014
I have 3 children at this school, and we have had several wonderful teachers. The teachers and parents are truly the secret to success in any school, and we couldn't have found a better combination than at Lowry. Even among private schools, Lowry is a standout..

Lowry Elementary School 1

Posted February 02, 2013
I rate Lowry with one star. The economic diversity at this school is a source of pride in the Lowry community. The academic consequences is the hush, hush no one speaks about. A portion of the student body is ill prepared to learn. Simply sitting still and listening is a challenge for many students. Constant behavioral disruptions stall the academic process of the class room. Teachers are either exhausted with controlling students or have given up and the class room is chaos. This financial diversity needs to be diversified . This school is not helping these kids that come to school with more emotinal baggage than a child should have to carry. With the consequence being this is not a place of academic growth.

Posted September 17, 2010
Our family "choiced" into Lowry, and has not been disappointed with this choice. After 5 years at Lowry. Being involved in PTO,we get to have a closer hands-on experience seeing all the great things going on in this school. The efforts at being more inclusive of all our school's culturally, racially, economically and academically diverse population, increase each year as the school evolves and the Lowry neighborhood completes its development. This school has an extremely diverse population, and there are subsequent challenges as a result. The entire community --students, parents, teachers and administration -- have developed innovative and creative programs to assist both challenged kids and "gifted" kids. At Lowry, ALL our kids are "gifted," and really lucky to have such a great team that knows how to bring out the best in every student. Great parent involvement. Wonderful teachers (for the most part) and a great principal.

Posted August 04, 2010
Lowry Elementary has definitely become one of the strongest Elementary Schools in the district. With an extremely strong parent involvement and teacher satisfaction rating it just keeps getting better and better. It has curriculum for every type of student, amazing art & music classrooms, as well as Challenge & Enrichment programs.

Posted April 27, 2010

Lowry Elementary School 0

Posted April 14, 2010
Has programs to help every type of student excel

Lowry Elementary School
8001 East Cedar Ave, Denver, CO  80230
Last modified Lowry Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lowry Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top