Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Westerly Creek Elementary School has a wonderful way of making kids feel welcome, safe, and inspired to learn. My children came from a different school, and they made the transition within two weeks! The Principal, teachers, and staff all seem to truly love their work. We love this school!

My oldest daughter started WCE in 2009 I believe. It was the first school we've ever been to and for the next 7 years she has had nothing but amazing teachers who supported her personally and academically. We took WCE for granted and assumed all schools were the same. As such, we moved on the North side of I-70 portion of Stapleton and moved the 2 smaller sisters to HTES. Biggest mistake I could have made. It was that move that made me realize how amazing WCE truly is. From the curriculum to the administration, I can guarantee you WCE will be what an elementary school experience should be: loving, fun, educational, and passionate with everlasting memories. My oldest still keeps in touch with all the teachers who are still there and she visits regularly. She has nothing but fond memories of that incredible school. And for the record, I didn't have the easiest child to deal with...

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I've seen what very ineffective looks like at HTES so when I say the WCE teachers are very effective, it is not an exaggeration. They are all extremely competent, experienced and know how to handle their classrooms. They also have full-time PARAS who are very helpful.

Amount of homework: Agree

I don't have any horror stories to tell in the homework department. My kids get just the right amount of homework to keep them on their toes but able to have extra-curricular activities, as well.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Kids are held accountable for their actions, but it's all done in a loving and understanding way, and are not being treated like criminals a my experience has been at HTES. Kids grow into better people from their experiences and whatever poor choices they have made are not held against them for the rest of the school year. They have lots of positive reinforcements that nurture good choice-making.

We had several great experiences at this school from 2013-1015. During our time at Westerly, I had one fairly major concern. I reached out to Dominique Jefferson and it was handled promptly and professionally. All of our other experiences here were very positive. Some of the highlights for us included; the Halloween parade, the winter program, the annual spelling bee (separated by grade level for lower grades), and field day. The PE teacher hosts a school wide event at the end of Jump Rope for Heart that really shows the true energy and enthusiasm of the school and is inclusive of all grades.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Our student could have been challenged slightly more. We have attended a few DPS schools and comparatively, Westerly challenged him the most. This school was the whole package in that it was also able to provide school spirit/pride, a supportive administration, and friendly teaching staff. Wanda at the front desk is warm, friendly, and professional. She has a lot on her "to do" list, so don't take it personal if she is brief in her conversations with you on some occasions. She is amazing.

Amount of homework: Agree

We attended this school for 1st and 2nd grade. In these grades, homework was provided as a review and was therefore very straight forward. There were never tears or hours of homework, we did go through the motions and routine of getting the work done regularly. There were also projects assigned a few times for each grade.

Develops character: Agree

The school has a program to encourage honesty, integrity, and fairness. Students are noticed monthly for positive behaviors that model these characteristics.

I had two children go through Westerly Creek. One with an IEP and one highly gifted. Westerly Creek might be a good fit for an "average" student, but if you are looking for a school can differentiate, please look elsewhere. The principal, Jill, definitely has favorites and literally bullies her teachers into doing exactly what she wants.

Last modified Westerly Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.