Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Westerly Creek Elementary School 5

Posted January 19, 2016
My oldest daughter started WCE in 2009 I believe. It was the first school we've ever been to and for the next 7 years she has had nothing but amazing teachers who supported her personally and academically. We took WCE for granted and assumed all schools were the same. As such, we moved on the North side of I-70 portion of Stapleton and moved the 2 smaller sisters to HTES. Biggest mistake I could have made. It was that move that made me realize how amazing WCE truly is. From the curriculum to the administration, I can guarantee you WCE will be what an elementary school experience should be: loving, fun, educational, and passionate with everlasting memories. My oldest still keeps in touch with all the teachers who are still there and she visits regularly. She has nothing but fond memories of that incredible school. And for the record, I didn't have the easiest child to deal with...

Grateful to: School leader

Posted January 19, 2016
Jill, you know how amazing you are. I've been telling you this, especially after my little failed stunt at HTES, but I really mean it. You are a woman to aspire to be like! You are an incredible leader!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 19, 2016
I've seen what very ineffective looks like at HTES so when I say the WCE teachers are very effective, it is not an exaggeration. They are all extremely competent, experienced and know how to handle their classrooms. They also have full-time PARAS who are very helpful.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted January 19, 2016
I don't have any horror stories to tell in the homework department. My kids get just the right amount of homework to keep them on their toes but able to have extra-curricular activities, as well.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted January 19, 2016
It nurtures each individual's talents and encourages them to persist in their goals and gifts that can later be translated into a successful career.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted January 19, 2016
Absolutely. They treat their students with the utmost respect and I believe that is why the kids themselves grow up to be respectful individuals.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted January 19, 2016
Like no other. The second you enter the school, you feel the caring in the air. It feels like they are all a big happy family. They nurture individual relationships and help children learn how to deal with conflict.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted January 19, 2016
Kids are held accountable for their actions, but it's all done in a loving and understanding way, and are not being treated like criminals a my experience has been at HTES. Kids grow into better people from their experiences and whatever poor choices they have made are not held against them for the rest of the school year. They have lots of positive reinforcements that nurture good choice-making.

Westerly Creek Elementary School 5

Posted January 11, 2016
We had several great experiences at this school from 2013-1015. During our time at Westerly, I had one fairly major concern. I reached out to Dominique Jefferson and it was handled promptly and professionally. All of our other experiences here were very positive. Some of the highlights for us included; the Halloween parade, the winter program, the annual spelling bee (separated by grade level for lower grades), and field day. The PE teacher hosts a school wide event at the end of Jump Rope for Heart that really shows the true energy and enthusiasm of the school and is inclusive of all grades.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted January 11, 2016
Our student could have been challenged slightly more. We have attended a few DPS schools and comparatively, Westerly challenged him the most. This school was the whole package in that it was also able to provide school spirit/pride, a supportive administration, and friendly teaching staff. Wanda at the front desk is warm, friendly, and professional. She has a lot on her "to do" list, so don't take it personal if she is brief in her conversations with you on some occasions. She is amazing.

8800 East 28th Avenue, Denver, CO  80238
Last modified Westerly Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.