No rating

Montessori Children's House of Denver

Private | PK-9 | 200 students

Living in Denver

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $262,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted September 7, 2014

My son attended MCHD's Secondary Academy for 8th grade. It was the best overall school experience he's had since he started school. The individualized curriculum helped him gain confidence and experience success in his educational endeavors. The school director and classroom teacher worked collaboratively to come up with interesting and relevant lessons for him: two elements that made all of the difference for him. We loved the incredible opportunities that were woven into his experience: science camp, weekly shopping trips to plan group lunches, weekly cross fit classes and interaction with and teaching younger students--a great way to help him internalize what he learned. Most of all, he was treated with respect and valued for who he is as an individual. To have the combination of excellent academic content with a supportive school environment made our time at Secondary Academy a true high point for our gifted son. I wish they had a high school!

Posted September 2, 2014

MCHD is a place that I chose for my children based on their strong teachers and helpful staff. After being a part of the community for a few years now, I have no complaints! The teachers are very well-trained, the campus staff is professional and responsive, and the Central Office staff takes time to speak with me when I need them. I now have 2 elementary students and, not only are they learning at a higher level than I did at their age, but they are HAPPY! I feel like their curiosity is fostered and that they have the opportunity and are encouraged to voice their opinions. This comes from years of learning independence and care of self and others in their Primary classrooms. I feel very lucky to have found MCHD. I know that my kids will graduate from the MCHD middle school with a global view of the world and their place in it. I don't ask them how their day was over dinner, because they are bursting to tell me. "Guess what, Mom? I learned about pressure today!" my 6-year old said last week. And then he proceeded to show me a simple experiment demonstrating pressure. That's why I love MCHD: my children love LEARNING. (And I love their super-involved PTSA, too!)

Posted August 29, 2014

MCHDis a wonderful school where the children are always put first. My daughter is only started in the Toddler Program at Park Hill this August. Already in a few short weeks I can see her learning and growing. She loves school and is happy to go each morning. The staff are warm, friendly, passionate and dedicated , not to mention knowledgeable in both Child development and Montessori Philosophy. MCHD has a welcoming community that I would recommend to parents with children at any age.

Posted October 13, 2013

This is an amazing school. My son started there when he turned 3, and during his first week there, he woke up in the middle of the night just to tell us all about gravity and spaceships -- the things he had just learned and was really excited about. The teachers are encouraging and nurturing; they really care about the kids' individual talents and structure the curriculum to suit each child's needs. The administration is helpful and responsive. I highly recommend this school.

Posted May 15, 2013

I read the reviews and wanted to comment on some of the more negative ones. We are at the Stapleton campus and have been very happy with the administration and their adherence to school policies. All the staff from the head to assistants are warm, friendly, & available. As for billing, twice we were incorrectly billed and both times I called the main office and the problem was fixed immediately. The woman who helped me was knowledgeable and very polite. My son loves his teachers, as do we. We have gotten to know them quite well and I am frequently involved in the classroom. Our teachers invite and encourage parent participation. I have never heard any parents at our campus say such drastically negative things about the school or the staff. As an aside, as a long time public school teacher and administrator with a Masters in Special Ed, I found the comment about parents of kids w/ learning disabilities just looking for small classes incredibly naive. Often these children have immense struggles in the cookie cutter world of public education, and unless you've experienced that first hand you should not be making assumptions as to why Montessori is a good fit for ay of these students.

Posted February 20, 2013

Our family has had both of our children at MCHD. The teachers are some of the most professional, nurturing, accessible and collaborative I have experienced. Both children started at MCHD as two year olds, and our son has now gone on to enter his new school in a great place in terms of both reading and math. It is amazing what children can and want to learn at such a young age! Our daughter is currently at the Birch Street location and is shining under the guidance of her teachers. Lastly, the community of teachers and families is second to none -- we have made many life-long friends through MCHD.

Posted February 19, 2013

The Montessori Children's House of Denver has played an instrumental role in laying the most amazing foundation with our daughter. Both her father and I attribute her ability to problem solve, apply real-world thinking skills and engage creative solutions as core teaching methodologies she learned through MCHD's attuned curriculum. We believe that MCHD has had a positive effect in shaping her character, and we understand that what s most important is an A+ human being, not necessarily A+ grades. Her parents would recommend MCHD, but in even better words of Ruby Kate; I love my school.

Posted February 19, 2013

As the parent of four kids, I have experienced many different types of schooling for my children over the years. MCHD provided our family with a wonderfully nurturing, supportive and kind environment for our son. Beatrice continues to hold a special place in our hearts as her approach with our son and our family was gentle as she found the best possible solutions to any challenges we faced. Our son was honored and celebrated for his unique gifts rather than forced to "fit in a box" that wasn't his size.. The staff is caring, thoughtful and fun! I continue to recommend this schools to all parents who are looking for that school with that something special.

Posted February 4, 2013

Some of the teachers struggle to teach classrooms that have 3 different ages/grades. Many children with special needs such as learning disabilities and they are looking for small class sizes at a private school. Parents are only welcome in the classroom at very specific small time frames and you are not allowed to speak with anyone while in the room because you have to be an observer. However, they are happy to let you sign up for chores such as laundry!

Posted January 15, 2013

I agree with the previous poster. The administrative staff are absolutely unprofessional, disorganized, and INCOMPETENT! Hope they aren't the product of Montessori, because they reflect very poorly upon this school. To say it best, they are unresponsive and don't care. We too had billing issues and these people just can't get it together. The teacher at our campus is nice, but commucation is broken and English clearly is not a high priority. We certainly will not continue with this school if we even finish the year. Horribly disorganized, no communication, incorrect communication, lack of accountability and excuses from administrative staff. Completely unprofessional and I am beyond disillusioned...

Posted December 17, 2012

Unfortunately we been fairly dissatisfied with Montessori Children's House of Denver. We were very excited for our child to be exposed to the Montessori method and thought it would be a good environment. The administration is disorganized, laissez faire, and unresponsive. Weekly email communications contain errors and incorrect dates. Policies are fluid and not applied to everyone. Our bills have been incorrect and can not get a response from anyone in order to correct it. At the campus my child attends, there is a lack of warmth from the teacher who seems more concerned with Montessori methods and rituals than my child's happiness. We may not even finish the current year, let alone sign up for the summer and next fall.

Posted May 11, 2012

We have 4 year old twins that have attended MCHD since they were two years old. We adore the school. The birch location has so much charm, being an original farmhouse. From the moment you walk in and see the cubbies to when you walk around the school, you just feel something special. It has been a home away from home for my children and a wonderful, loving and perfect introduction to learning. My daughter learned to read at the school and my son is very interested in space and math. We are now in the process of enrolling our youngest child. On a personal level, we have met great family friends at the school. I would highly recommend this school. It is delightful.

Posted November 21, 2011

We have two kids attending the Stapleton campus; a 2 year old and a 7 year old. It's expensive but worth every penny. Our kids are so very happy and LEARNING. Montessori has a reputation sometimes of just being touchy-feely, but the teachers are extremely involved and really help kids with focus and motivation. Bravo and thank you.

Posted October 29, 2011

Admittedly, my child has only been attending this school for about two months attending the Hilltop campus/primary class, but I have seen a noticeable improvement in him since he started. I like the school community and have not felt that the school/parents are too "snobby" as I have heard some parents say about other nearby schools. I am happy with the education so far and plan to keep my son in the Montessori Children's House as long as possible.

Posted May 5, 2011

Our son has been with MCHD since he was a toddler. His social and cognitive skills are testament to the quality and care of his teachers and the warm cozy classrooms. He will be in Kindergarten next year, so we could choose another school, but wouldn't even consider it! He has done so well and our family has fit right into the community.

Posted November 1, 2010

Our daughter has attended MCHD the last two years at the Birch St. location. We love this school! The teachers are top notch, the administration is great, parent involvement is high. MCHD has been a great fit for our family.

Posted March 22, 2010

We love the warm, nurturing environment, great teacher-student ratio, and individualized curriculum. Our child is thriving here. It is important to visit each school you are considering to see if it is the right fit for your child's needs. Each child is unique.

Posted March 17, 2010

Sometimes the approach deviates slightly from the Montesorri method, as spelled out by montessori.org. Many of the afternoon/afterschool personnel are not Montessori trained and that can be very discouraging. Administration is not a cohesive unit and can be challenging. Classroom environment is very rich in Montessori 'gadgets.'

Posted May 21, 2009

Excellent school. My daughter has attended for 2 years and she is thriving! The teachers are very interactive and take an interest in her learning.

Posted April 2, 2009

This school is great. The teachers care so much about the children and their growth. The teachers focus on the child's whole development. Excellent programs available, including art enrichment, dance, etc.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS
  • NAEYC

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori