Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Colorado International School 4

Posted June 13, 2014
I have a very positive comment for this school. With small groups kids are able to get the main thing to me which is "languages" with warm native teachers . I love the fact that there is not bulling at all. A bit concern about administration but we'll,,, there is not such a perfect school.

Posted June 12, 2014
COIS is great school . My daugther go to the school , and i cannot describe in words the excellent educations she is receiving. She is in the mandarin program and she loves to go school so much that she did cry for summer holiday.

Posted May 29, 2013
I agree wholeheartedly with the parent comments dated September 22, 2012. Good concept. Childrens' welfare should be the No, 1 priority. However,there are problems with unfairness, favortism, bullying. Standards are not the same for everyone. No one to go to with concerns. So sad, when our children are so important to us. s

Posted November 14, 2012
Our daughter, 3 years old, started at COIS last summer in the Mandarin program. We have had a great experience over the last six months at the school. Her teacher is warm, caring and loving. She can already count to ten in three languages. Learning occurs thru play, singing, interaction and teaching - it has captivated her interest very much and she is very proud of learning another language. Finally, it would not be possible to expose her to languages and cultures without an institution like COIS. As with most things, there are some areas that could improve - however, we are very happy at the school and would highly recommend it.

Posted September 22, 2012
As a parent, I am beyond disappointed in this school. The administration is absolutely horrible to deal with! Arbitrary decisions are frequently administered, regardless of previous discussions/arrangements. Professionalism at all levels is lacking, as well as nurturing and supporting leadership. Yes, the classes are small, however, prospective parents should question this very carefully. The classes are small because the school is not able to retain their students, especially in languages other in German (please note that this school is the only school in Colorado, to date, that offers German language immersion so these parents/students have no other school options). The' upper' level classes are mixed aged classes because there are not enough students in one particular age group to fill them. For example, you can have a kindergartner and second grader in a class together. Prospective parents should seriously question why there are very few students returning year to year.

Posted September 13, 2012
My song, 4 yers old, just started in the Mandarin program. He LOVES his teacher and within 1 week of his first day, he is singing songs, counting and speaking short phrases in Chinese. His desire to learn has been piqued, and he asks how to say different words in Chinese almost daily! I am so excited to see how his interest to learn other cultures grows in the midst of such a caring environment.

Posted September 12, 2012
Colorado International School is a small school with small classes (6-8 children per class at elementary level) where you can get to know other parents easily and where children get individualized attention. This contrasts sharply with the 25-30 students per classroom model of public language immersion schools. COIS is a language immersion school where children do not just learn foreign languages as a separate subject, but also use them as a medium in other subjects such as math, science, history, etc. This means they are actually experiencing multilingual learning. Finally, it is the only school in the entire state of Colorado that offers German language immersion for children in K-8 on a full-time basis. I'm very happy with the education my 2 children are getting in the German program at COIS. In fact, this program is absolutely integral to them maintaining their German, not just in terms of spoken German, but in terms of reading and writing German as well.

Posted September 05, 2012
My children attend CoIS, and I am thrilled with the education that they are receiving. The teachers are fantastic! They work hard to give each child individual attention, giving the students the chance to learn at their own pace. Because of this individual attention, most children there are doing work above their grade level. The kids are exposed to different languages and cultures daily, which is so valuable as everything is becoming so global. Because of the small size of the school, the kids are learning valuable social skills of how to get along with the same people daily. Their class is more like a family than a classroom. The new Head of School is wonderful! Her dedication to the school and her vision for the school's future is exciting!

Posted April 17, 2012
There needs to be an accurate review of CoIS on this site. First of all, the teachers are great wonderful, loving and professional. However, the administration is a mess. Our family invested a couple years of our child s life in a school that has gone out of its way to treat us like dirt. One individual in particular, the one who usually shows around new families, has been the primary problem. She runs the school like a dictator creating and abolishing rules at will seemingly set on satisfying some pathological need for power. She is belittling to people and treats parents like naughty children. Bottom line is the school is small because it cannot get its class sizes to grow. The school tries to spin the small classes as a positive, but please don t ignore this red flag. As soon as there s growth, parents get so fed up from disrespectful behavior, they decide to go to a more professional school. In the end, you ll be forcing your child to re-adjust to a new school just to get away from CoIS. Think twice before enrolling here.

Colorado International School 4

Posted April 04, 2012
I am a prospective parent and I enjoyed learning about the school on a tour today. The teachers are all engaged with the small number of children in each class. It does seem like a great place to get individual attention. I am a rather shy and observant person, so I think the fact that I didn't ask many questions may have been off-putting to the person giving the tour. I actually felt somewhat attacked with a rapid stream of questions (ie, why are you here, you didn't ask any questions so I don't know what I can do for you, etc.). Not bad questions, but the manner in which they were asked was quite abrasive and only asked after the other parent left. The other parent on the tour was ready to turn in admissions paperwork and was catered to! I felt really uncomfortable, like I was a waste of their time! I wanted to learn what the school was like, and overall it is something I would consider, but I am weary of the lack of professionalism displayed today by the person giving the tour. This does factor into the my overall impression of the school. It was just one interaction so I will keep that in mind.

Colorado International School
4100 East Iliff Avenue, Denver, CO  80222
Last modified Colorado International School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Colorado International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top