Public charter
Denver, CO
After care: No

Posted January 20, 2014
As a parent, I love this school. I love the way my child is so ecstatic about going to DSST. My kid is a 15 year old in 9th grade and he is always telling me something new everyday. I could say that his grades have improved so much from the past. The teachers are great, understanding, and compassionate. This school does have very high expectations and I can assure you that it will make your child a better person in the future. I can see my boy improving, everyday. Becoming more mature, smarter, and making great decision and he is only 15. I would recommend this school a lot. People make it seem very strict but, it isn't as strict as you think. Yes, there are high expectations such as being respectful, not having your phones out during class, being a responsible student, staying focused, doing homework, etc. but these are all the expectations a GOOD school should have. Many schools advertise that they have those expectations but you cannot see them impacting the child, and at DSST they do. You will not regret going to this school..it's great for the student and parents. Your child will be happy. The learning environment is amazing, everyone is like a family.

Denver School of Science and Technology: Stapleton High School 2

Posted December 16, 2013
While DSST features a great math and science program, 100% graduation rate, etc., it isn't the school for everyone. I transferred out of the high school. The administrative team in the Stapleton high school has a very negative and nasty attitude, and does their best to scare students rather that helping them. There is very little choice and selection in terms of classes, which is great if you are planning to be a doctor or engineer, but not great if you plan on going down a different career path. There's little to no grade inflation as well, even if freshman/sophomores are in higher math and science classes. I'm not a student who received terrible grades-- I had almost all A's, so the rigor wasn't an issue for me, it was the stressful and negative energy that circulated its environment. The school is completely obsessed with control of their students and it forgets to recognize the in order for teenagers to thrive, you can't hold their hands and make them do community service for chewing gum or wearing the wrong dress shoes. It's not a terrible school, just wasn't the right environment for me or my family.

Denver School of Science and Technology: Stapleton High School 4

Posted November 19, 2013
My grandchild attends this school. I have heard that this is a great academic school, however the great emphasive on 'physical education classes' in this school are frowned upon by many of the students. Is it necessary to have this in the curriculum? An emphasis on 'Music and Arts and Sciences' might be a better choice than 'physical education.' The students can join recreation groups of their choice in the community they live in. How do other parents/grandparents feel about this ?

Posted November 18, 2013
This fall, I sent my daughter to sixth grade at DSST Stapleton full of apprehension. DSST had a reputation for being rigorous and structured and I was worried that it would school the fun right out of learning. Here is what I have discovered: Yes, it is rigorous. The amount of time spent in the core subjects at DSST is greater than that of other middle schools in my area and yes, my child does have homework. I also discovered that she is learning, thriving, and enjoying her school experience more than ever. I am so impressed with the teachers. They use all the current best practices in education. They develop creative, engaging lessons (like building rockets in science class and paddling down the Nile River in social studies), use data to drive their instruction, differentiate instruction within the classroom, and most importantly, genuinely care about the success of their students. Yes, it is structured. My sixth grader has to be silent in the hallways, be accountable for her homework on a daily basis, and follow the school s rules and core values, but she is LOVING this respectful learning environment where she is valued and challenged.

Posted December 20, 2012
My son is attending DDST: College View for his 6th grade year this year. My son has previously attended a Core Curriculum charter as well as a Montessori and came to DSST straight from the Montessori. Starting with summer school (that all incoming 6th graders must attend) I saw a different child emerging that loved the environment as well as the staff. The curriculum is challenging but the support is also very high for every child. We couldn't be more pleased to be at DSST: College View. Go Wolves!!

Posted August 27, 2012
Our child is entering the 7th grade at DSST -Stapleton and we could not be more pleased with her development and growth. The rigorous academic program and social expectations were just what she needs. I can see that DSST would not fit every personality, however, I think it would be the rare circumstance where a child would not benefit from this approach. My daughter has thrived and says that she enjoys middle school much more than her elementary school. The teachers have been responsive to us and the administration is dedicated.

Posted August 04, 2012
My daughter just finished mandatory summer school for incoming 6th graders. She won t admit it to her friends that did not have summer school, but she repeatedly told me that she really enjoyed it. She was proud of her test improvements during the three week days, she definitely bonded with the teachers and her advisor (somewhat like your camp counselor), and enjoyed learning without the teachers being distracted from disruptive students. We feel very lucky to have gotten into DSST!

Posted May 27, 2012
DSST is an incredible school, I graduated last year and am glad that I made the choice to attend dsst instead of a less rigorous, larger, neighborhood school. All of the teachers are phenomenal, they really care about all of the students and strive to make personal connections with them. The Denver school of science and technology, as expected, does not have much in the way of art programs. Students that are artistically inclined are celebrated, but it s not a space for them to grow in as an artist. Dsst is renowned for it's ability to take underprivileged underrepresented minority students and make them into true scholars prepared to attend any university in the country (or beyond). My freshman class, for example, has 140 students from 51 middle schools across the metro area. For this reason , most students are required to attend a summer school session in English, math, or both to be prepared for the coming school year. The community is very tight knit, students become proficient with technology, and are ready to take on the world when they graduate. Th school also prides itself on development of character through the schools core values. Finally a place where school is cool.

Denver School of Science and Technology: Stapleton High School 1

Posted March 15, 2011
Warning to parents and students. Our daughter is enrolled in DSST, 7th Grade. If you are looking for a rigorous educational experience you've found it. If the emotional development of your young adult is just as valuable, this may not be the school for you. This school does not support adolescent development and has very low tolerance for allowing young ones to express themselves or develop emotionally. The teachers are not well trained on dealing with conflict and do not have the tools necessary to support the growth process of a young adult. There are just some things we are not willing to sacrifice for our child. We are withdrawing her from DSST as the emotional abuse and neglect is not something we'll exchange for the education.

Posted April 06, 2010
This is the best school in Denver. They challenge children and have manditory tutoring if they are not succeeding in a particular area.

Denver School of Science and Technology: Stapleton High School
2000 Valencia St, Denver, CO  80235
Last modified Denver School of Science and Technology: Stapleton High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Denver School of Science and Technology: Stapleton High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top