Bad
Good

My grandson has attended kindergarten, first grade and is now in the second grade - all at Holly Ridge. I think it is a very good school...with concerned and caring teachers, staff and principal and vice principal. I have had really good communication with and from the teachers for any problems (generally minor) so that they could be dealt with promptly. Also I have had my grandson in the before and after care (and for summer day camp) at the Hawk Nest - right at the school - very reasonable and convenient. Most of all - my grandson loves going to school...that tells it all.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I believe each teacher that my grandson has had has really gotten to know him - he strengths and weaknesses in learning new things. This is very important because the teacher then is able to assist when assistance is needed and step back when it isn't necessary.

Amount of homework: Agree

Just right means - homework every night Mon-Thurs - weekends off. However, we continue to do math, reading, etc. at home even on the weekends.

Develops character: Agree

I believe they are aware of behavior issues and encourage (per the acronym CARE) - caring, attitude, responsibility and effort. They have the student and parent sign a compact to that effect.

This school gave me great hope. Our child's kindergarten teacher was amazing and wonderful and integral to our child's love of learning. Unfortunately, first grade and second grade were terrible, due to the paltry leadership in the school. Our child suffered bullying from students as well as by faculty and staff. More than one teacher referred to our child in derogatory terms in front of others. When confronted with allegations, the principal found it acceptable to scream at us and refused to apologize. On a positive note, the school is very strong with ESL and encourages parental involvement in students' lives, albeit clumsily. They offer regular social activities at low or no cost, which gives for great opportunity to meet others.

I personally think that this school has some lower ratings because of test scores from kids who do not speak english well. My children attend the Hollies and love it! My daughter is an exceptional student who has been placed with other children well above their grade level for her reading group. The class sizes are small so the kids can get individual attention, and I have not met a teacher, staff member or administrator who I did not like.

Very happy with the school. Our child has attended The Hollys since Kindergarten. My personal experience has been that it is a very safe and supportive learning environment, both diverse and inclusive. The teachers, staff, and administrators that I have worked with have all been fantastic. A recent independent assesment rated our child in the upper 90th percentiles nationally in both reading and math.

Our son attended Holly Hills last year for his kindergarten year and I must say we were VERY sorely disappointed. Our son began the year as a very loving and inquisitive child eager to learn and make new friends. By the third month he was bullying, using fowl language and had become VERY disrespectful at home. We were not informed of the bullying until right before the very last parent teacher conference of the year in late March. Needless to say we were outraged. The counselor was unresponsive and rude as were the principal and the vice principal. His teacher was a fantastic help as she tried doing her best to help us with this situation. We have since, obviously, changed schools and we are very slowly beginning to see the real little boy that is our son. I do not recommend this school at all! If you have a choice of schools please, please choose a different one!

If you are looking for a school with strong community involvement this is not the school for you - probably less than 10 percent of the neighborhood attend. The other 90 percent are bused. If you are looking for a large diverse urban school this is the school for you. This is a Title 1 school with strong reading and writing programs due to the the diverse population and ELA population. As a result of this attention to ELA, enrichment, science and the arts are lacking.

Last modified Holly Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.