Omar D Blair Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 783 students

Posted December 26, 2013

We have been at this school for 5 years and it has really gone down hill. It is more like an alternative school these days. It seems like the main focus is TESTING and the amount of homework is ridiculous quantity does not equal quality. I think the principle is pushing the school in the wrong direction. Resources are not provided to parents that want to help their children succeed. I am very disappointed in this school and we will not be returning next year.

Posted September 27, 2013

My kids have been at this school for a long time and I have gotten to know and like many of the teachers. The teachers work hard to help their students excel.

Posted September 13, 2013

This school is terrible. I enrolled when I was in fourth grade and now I'm in eighth, and let me tell you, good riddance. They punish people too harshly. It's not even funny when they use the phrase "when one goes down so does everyone else." And now they're talkin about "restorative justice" ugh The homework takes me four hours, yeah, four hours. Dude, I have a life. The teachers are trashy. My LA teach makes us takes notes all day and I don't learn squat, and then she has the nerve to assign us homework she doesnt even grade. My history teach and nurse are both on Facebook 24/7. We have no recess, no time to be a kid. At lunch, they constantly tell us to shut up. Once, when i came out of the bathroom with an untucked shirt, my LA teach no warningly gave me detention. We're kids deprived of outside time, loudness, and good food. They expect too much out of us and are forcing us to grow up too fast. This school is the reason I hate school with passion and everything to do with it. Please, spare your child from this awful experience.

Posted August 13, 2013

This school is amazing, my daughter has been there since kindergarten and I love it she has grown and knows so much as education is the priority here!

Posted November 30, 2010

Awesome School, faculty and staff who are all focused on providing the best education experience possible for all who attend. I love the diversity of the school and the staff. I amvery active in the school and tey to support any endevour that they pursue.

Posted August 2, 2010

Hi people! =D Did you miss me? Did you? XD Lol, I can't believe I'm on my way to high school this fall! ^^ I owe it all to my awesome teachers! I thought it was wonderful that we decided to teach 8th grade algebra this year. Omg, I hope I passed the test. So not looking forward to taking it again. XD

Posted May 17, 2010

I am a parent and an active particapant in my son's education. The teachers and staff are all very focused on helping students build on improve on how they learn. They actively invite parents into the classroom to observe and participate in their children's education.

Posted November 4, 2009

Great discipline and structure!

Posted October 13, 2009

I teach at this school and it is the best school I have ever been a part of. They really care care!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 13, 2009

Omar D. Blair is very student centered, combined with a great group of kids and a hard working staff it is a great place to work.

Posted October 11, 2009

The staff is committed to helping our students drive achievement. The teachers are willing to go the extra mile, they even spent two weekends recruiting students for our school. BOth the elementary and middle school students made AYP for 2009. Our school ratings showed high growth on CSAP. ODB Eagles, let's Make It Happen again!

Posted May 6, 2009

The school is ok. it has very nice teachers and a great principle. For grades, there are many people who are on the mile high scholars!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 12, 2009

This school is unlike any others I have seen. The school is very kid centered and has teachers striving to bring out the best in the students. The staff works to make learning engaging and fun to meet the needs of all the students. The office staff is wonderful and all of the teachers are friendly.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 13, 2009

My daughter has been enrolled in this school since she was in kindergarton.(she is currently in the third grade) I do believe the school is challanging enough, But the homework is overkill. When my student comes home every night with 3-4 hours of homework it is a little much for an eight year old to handle. But she gets through it and is and has been a straight A student. The only reason why I think the Homework is overkill is she has very little family time and extra event time such as playing soccer and cheerleading in which she has been a part of since she was four. I do believe in homework but when it cuts into family time and proper exercise a young child her age needs it is to much.

Posted December 7, 2008

Compared to other schools in far northeast Denver, this is the best school in our area. Security needs to be tighter at the front door and at pick up times, but the teachers are wonderful, leadership is great, and the communication is superior to other area schools. I plan on keeping both of my children at this school through 8th grade unless something major changes with the school or local schools here.

Posted December 6, 2008

My daughter has been at the school for three years and she loves it. The teachers are wonderful.

Posted September 5, 2008

This school is unsafe and unorganized. On August 11th, 2008, my daughter started her first day of kindergarten. I knew the first couple of days would be an adjustment for both of us, but after a week and a half, I started to think something was wrong. So I started checking in on the school. On 4 different occasions, I was able to walk in the front door and walk straight to my daughters class room, without a single person stopping me to ask me who I was. I went to the school to pick up my daughter. when I got towards the flagpole, where our kindergarteners were suppose to be standing with their teachers, my heart skipped a beat because my daughter was no where to be found. I noticed her standing along the street, without supervision. I picked her up & no one knew she was gone.

Posted February 13, 2008

My daughter is in 2nd grade and is attending Omar D Blair for the first time this year. Last year she attended a different school in 1st grade. She had problems with reading and understanding what she was trying to read. Importantly, she was not very interested. Her 2nd tutor Ms. Opal Anderson (Ms 'O') as my daughter calls her, had a 'Poetry Cafe' and allowed my baby to read a poem. I've seen a drastic change in how interested she is now reading and writing poetry on her own. We owe Ms 'O' and OD Blair a debt of gratitude. If they continue to spark interest in young people like this, our world should be a lot better place. My daughter told me that there's another 'Poetry Cafe' scheduled soon and she's very excited. We love this school! Keep up the good work Ms 'O' and thank you!

Posted November 1, 2007

Quality of academic programs-minimal Availability of music,art, sports and other extracurricular programs-less than minimal Level of parent involvement-only when their child is a problem

Posted July 25, 2007

My son has attended this school since it opened. He is about to start 3rd grade. His teachers have been incredible. They have been patient, kind, determined and fun educators. The teachers are great communicators and love their children, and it shows. I am an involved parent, so I do not say this on just a day of watching them. I pop in frequently (after I give my i.d. at the front desk) and I have never been disappointed. There are still, however, no spanish classes for our students. Even after speaking to the principal numerous times! Rumor has it that if they do have spanish classes, it will only be for sixth grade and up. It doesn't make sense. It is easier for a person to learn a second language at a younger age. I wish the parents voted on these things like they said we could.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Female68%

Limited English proficiency (LEP)17%
Proficient in English34%
Neither migrant nor immigrant39%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A41%
Male 49%N/A51%
Female 51%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Health & athletics

• Soccer
  • Track
  • Volleyball

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government