Bad
Good

Every teacher is enthusiastic, well supported and outstanding. They all work together to create an excellent student culture

I used to like it, but we got a new principal and now we have a lot of really stupid policies such as teachers of an after school activity must escort their students out. We are high schoolers for crying out loud! The new office staff are also pretty rude to the students. I liked it the last few years, but I do not like the changes the new principal has made to it.

I currently attend Denver Center for International Studies, I think the school is amazing and that they offer so much to the students based off their interests and needs. The teachers are overly supportive and care about the students very deeply. Thanks DCIS.

My school is AMAZING!!!!! The teachers are so nice and I feel comfortable around even the high schoolers (being in 6th grade i was nervous about going to school with them) and the only flaw is the Study skills class (advisement) it is a joke... I am literally bored to tears learning nothing in that class but otherwise i love all my other classes like Chinese, Math, etc. I would definitely reccomend this school to ANYBODY.

I don't like this school because the staff and administration don't care or listen to what the students have to say. It may get some good test scores but it doesn't compare that the teachers don't really care as much as needed to get the right education. There aren't a lot of class options and aren't very interesting. I would suggest another school.

DCIS: a good school for self-motivated students. The staff, block schedule and diverse classmates offer a student countless opportunities to engage in their own growth and education. It is up to the student to seize or disregard those opportunities. My son entered DCIS HS in 2009 from a 99% white affluent suburban middle school. Strong friendships with kids from all socioeconomic, ethnic and racial backgrounds grew over the past four years. The students fiercely debated every significant issue, in & out of classes, with passion in their own opinions, but with respect for the other person. The intellectual clashes with students and staff of opposing viewpoints sharpened his mind and wits, & developed courage of conviction. DCIS has a vibrant atmosphere with interested and interesting students and staff. It is not a place for wallflowers-- or a wallflower will soon get dragged into the life of the school by other students. The non-AP math classes are weak and insufficient for anyone interested in engineering or science majors in college, but all other aspects of the school seem to have prepared my son for collegiate life and academics.

Can only comment on the middle school (3 years experience) but DCIS has been a big disappointment. Weak principal, too many low performing teachers and a student culture that isn't intellectually oriented. Nice, non-violent kids attend DCIS but they segregate by race/ethnic group, with administration's implicit consent. Happiest families seem to be those who have students who will be first generation HS graduates or first to attend college. Kids not from that background are more likely to be bored and looking elsewhere for HS. School is average by DPS standards but very much below average for people not educated in DPS.

I was a student at this school, and was sent to this school with many letters of recommendation. I was never the student who ditched class or gave the teachers problem but I feel that my appearance at the time singled me out from the other students and gave the faculty a set impression about me. I at the time was currently taking medication around leaving my middle school, and had been for my entire life. I quit all my medication that summer and my body wasn't used to the immediate cease of all the medication had a huge impact on my body. During my time as a student I had trouble staying awake from the changes in my body, and although I had told this to the teachers they still treated me like a guy who would rather be in a party than at school. While sleeping in a class one day I was yelled at by a teacher who told me to go to the vice principals office, when I entered the office I had no chance to speak while he accused me of being on drugs and causing a disruption to my fellow classmates and that I would be given 2 days of in school suspension for my "behavior". during those two days I was treated like a criminal by faculty and realized I absolutely had to leave this school.

My son is adopted from social services and had behavioral issues. But DCIS created a good social network for him to the point of not wanting to miss one day of school. He is pushed at home to speak a foreign language and to study. When he was doing badly the teachers communicated with me and we came up with a plan to help. Now he is getting much better grades and he will be fluent in a foreign language by the time he finishes high school. It is true that extra curriculars such as music, sports, and other activities are sparse at DCIS. But, I think the most overriding factor for my son is for him to feel part of the school and get good grades. The parents are at least required to be interested in making sure their kids get a global style education. I love the assignments they give my son. They make him think about things in the world around them. Frankly we have considered moving out of the neighborhood and my son hates the idea of not being close to the school. He has NEVER liked even going to school before DCIS. The teachers are well prepared, but it is true that they need to have more mentors and one and one tutors. I think this school for their limited resources is great!

This school might be good if your 6th grader is ready for college but mine isn't, she is 12 not 18 years old. The teachers do not care if their students have missing assignments, fail a test and the principal does not hold the teachers accountable for doing anything to help. When I asked teachers what day they stay after school to help students, none of them would commit to doing so. With the exception of a few teachers, they leave right after school and my kid has never once been given a detention or told to come in after school to figure out a missing or failing assignment. Also the "Study Skills" class is a joke. There are no study skills taught and at least one day a week they go outside or to the gym to play. A kid could be getting an A in Study Skills and be failing a class. So, if your child is ready for college, a stellar student that can completely manager 7 different classes and teachers without issue, then certainly, this may be the school for your child.

Last modified Denver Center For International Studies is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.