Public charter
Denver, CO

Vanguard Classical School 1

Posted October 23, 2014
My child attended this school briefly until we discovered the way this school is run. The administration is very unfriendly and seem to be promoting a very conservative, religious agenda. For example, items at the book fair must first be checked by them personally to make sure nothing is sold they deem inappropriate - these are removed. (One author they took exception to is Judy Bloom - too racy). They also choose not to teach content that is supposed to be a part of the core knowledge sequence but that they find too "controversial", for example evolution, a tenant of science. Additionally, my child was not happy here since even young children need to sit and be quiet most of the time. I saw plenty of evidence of lecturing from the teachers about proper behavior and very little actual learning going on.

Vanguard Classical School 2

Posted June 30, 2014
It concerns me that the only ratings on this school are positive. They do not represent the many concerns that parents have with Vanguard in a variety of areas: 1. The continuous turn over in staff, resulting lack of consistency from year to year, and regular hiring of new, inexperienced teachers is a massive concern. Last year there was a 43% turnover in teaching staff. 2. Administration is inexperienced, difficult to deal with and definitely not family friendly. Sadly, most parents put up with these issues because of the value placed on the core and classical curriculum. 3. The inclusive nature of the school is visible, but a more accurate representation of the school's success in this area is best accounted for by the number of students with disabilities who have LEFT the school versus staying. In fact, very few students stay through 8th grade. Perhaps the reason that the listed reviews are not representative may also be due to a majority of parents at Vanguard not being privy to electronic school reviews due to their inability to speak English or being of lower economic status. Sadly there is a lack of positive educational alternatives in the area.

Posted February 24, 2014
I have written another review on Vanguard but I also want to note that I love the diversity in this school. I was a little worried at first because the core program is very conservative and my son is being raised in a two-mommy household. After a number of school events I have come to learn that he has two other kids in his class that also have two-moms. We have NEVER had any issue with his teachers or faculty. The part of the city this school is located in opens it up to so many different cultures, ethnicities and class structures and I truly feel that Vanguard respects them all. One of my sons best friends is Ethiopian and my son comes home with lunch stories every day about the foods his friend brings in. Last year he had a crush on a little blond haired blue-eyed girl and this year he fancies a young lady from Chad who wears a balaclava every day to school. It's like an international school with an excellent curriculum sans the hefty price tag. Not for everyone, but some great real WORLD experiences backed up with a well-rounded education and a great staff.

Posted February 23, 2014
This is our second year at Vanguard Classical School and we are very pleased with the results for our 4 children. Grades K,1,3,&4. We have been extremely happy with the teachers and the ability to tailor learning styles has been wonderful. It is especially helpful because they have 2 teachers per classroom of 30 students. English and Math is at the same time for all classes throughout the school each day so students can be organized based on their competency and can be moved up and down to address their level appropriately. Discipline standards are excellent, as we came from a school with none. I would attribute low parent involvement to that to the fact that students are coming in from all over town which can make it hard to participate in such activities; in fact, we drive 30 minutes, one-way, to attend this school (which is totally worth it!). This school teaches the fundamentals and foundations of education in a way that makes our students successful. I expect their test scores to continue to improve and their rating to continue to go up, especially with Mr. Miller at the helm. We are truly grateful for his willingness to support and improve education in our community.

Posted September 27, 2013
This school is not for everyone, it is a little conservative (we are not) and not focused on computers. What drew us to the school was their focus on building character. I loved all of the quotes we saw on the classroom walls as we toured the school. The things that Vanguard does - it does right. I like that there are 2 teachers (and a para) per class. I love the art, music and P.E. programs. My son has a very liberal upbringing and I love that Vanguard balances that out and gives him a taste of what the real world will be like. A first grader in his second year at Vanguard my son is thriving. He is a literate and avid reader. This school is a little gem in this part of the metro area, I feel lucky to have found it. I can ignore the slight religious tonalities of their christmas program when I juxtapose it with the actual teachers, the students and the other parents, its a decent balance. Im a HANDS-ON parent so Im okay with my son being exposed to a multitude of ideas that we discuss together. Not for everyone, but if you want the feel of a private school without the price tag, check out Vanguard. My son and my nephew both attend Vanguard and they are both thriving.

Posted July 20, 2013
With my Experience at Vanguard I found that the education given was a very strong education, adding on every year to Lessons and increasing the intensity level as needed. They love to build on people strength but while doing that they also try to Decrease the amount of Weaknesses in learning style forming a very strong thinking process. On a different note the teaching staff is based a young age giving students the time to really get to know the teachers there. I would recommend the school to anyone that wants to get a good education while still having fun

Posted July 17, 2013
Vanguard Classical School is a wonderful alternative for parents looking for diversity and rigorous education. Each classroom has two full-time teachers and a para-pro. The curriculum is fabulous and the offerings of "specials" made for an easy decision. We have a very bright little girl and she was not being challenged at Bill Roberts (which has a very high rating). We didn't want her in a gifted program, and found that VCS had everything we wanted including a lot more teacher interaction. A great option for those frustrated with the DPS schools.

Posted January 09, 2013
We are in a DPS district and moved to Vanguard for many reasons. K thru 8, challenging academic programs like Singapore Math and Riggs, Latin to understand the foundation of language, great hard working teachers, (2 full time plus Para for each class) so Student to Teacher ratio is much better than DPS. My kids have done very well there and like the smaller school. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who wants an option to the larger crowded DPS options.

Posted September 06, 2011
Thank you to the last poster for writing that response- I agree totally. I certainly hope no one reads that other review without realizing that person has mistakenly posted it to the Vanguard Classical School page.

Vanguard Classical School 4

Posted September 04, 2011
At first I was going to ignore the last post, but with students attending the school, I couldn't. Whoever this individual is, she obviously has the wrong school. Vanguard Classical School in Denver, CO is a K-8 elementary school so SAT and ACT scores aren't yet relevent. Also, I know there has never been a teacher that taught three days and left AND there are no plans for a high school. She must be referring to the Vanguard School in Colorado Springs, but whoever this person is, given their lack of research capability, it would appear whichever school they left after three days is the better for it. As for Vanguard Classical School in Denver, CO, it is an excellent, upcoming school with a Core Knowledge curriculum. Go online and look at their two-year CSAP Achievement and Growth Scores or better yet, visit for a day and see the quality education that is being offered. I wish Vanguard Classical School had plans for a high school. If they did, my kids would be there until they went to college. I had to speak against the misguided critique that the person before me left. It's not fair to the school, students or staff and this person needs to be more careful.

Vanguard Classical School
801 Yosemite St, Denver, CO  80230
Last modified Vanguard Classical School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vanguard Classical School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top