Public charter
Denver, CO

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 03, 2015
When a teacher leaves there are tears and discussions about why the teacher is leaving or won't be there to teach a students younger siblings. The students have favorites and specific teachers that they are not enamored with but primarily the teachers are loved by the kids. The teachers also maintain discipline very effectively. People that have said that the school has military properties or is overly strict might consider the overall outcomes in the context of the student population. A teacher needs to maintain quiet and structure to teach to everyone and a brief tour during school hours will show you that they accomplish that goal every day. There is no yelling but there is discipline and the kids benefit from that structure. So, yeah, very effective.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 03, 2015
I could go with a little less but we know that human brains need to re-visit concepts in order to learn deeply so some homework is fine by me. My kids all read for enjoyment so that's not a problem and the reading assignments from school are trivial compared to that. Math tends to be repetitious but early math (times tables, fractions and all that) IS repetitious and simply has to be learned.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted August 03, 2015
This question us based on current pop psychology terms stemming from "positive psychology". That philosophy is in the process of being debunked in the scientific literature so this question is next to meaningless. Now persistence is not quite the same thing and, yes, the kids learn persistence because they are challenged in their education at Vanguard.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 03, 2015
I interact with kids from several families from Vanguard socially and at the park up the street from the school. I had no idea six years ago that kids actually treated random parents with respect these days. If I'm reading at the playground and a Vanguard kids wants to talk to me they invariable start off with "excuse me" or "pardon me" and then ask whatever they want to ask. Also appropriate "thank you" and "excuse me"s are the norm. People that rate this question in a negative way either do not attend Vanguard or have an agenda as far as I can tell.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 03, 2015
Vanguard teaches core virtues such as the ones mentioned but it does it without proselytizing at all. The young teachers are very well trained, very motivated and, unfortunately, very valuable to other schools that hire them away! I've read reviews here claiming that Vanguard has religious overtones and is overly conservative politically but I have never once, in six years experience (three kids, all of whom started in K) experienced anything of the kind. Sure the language sounds like that, for instance "integrity" is often contextualized using "christian virtues" or something similar but that's not how it's taught at Vanguard. I'm atheist, my daughter thinks that the Greek and Roman Gods make sense and my youngest two are completely unconcerned about religion at all. I know kids from many families at Vanguard and not one proselytizes at all. They simply ARE honest, fair kids with integrity and I attribute a lot of that to Vanguard.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 03, 2015
Vanguard ensures that kids are made to feel welcome, valued and never afraid. There is exactly zero bullying tolerated and the instructors help kids understand why bullying is a terrible approach to life by discussing things as a group. After school several families go down the street to a local park where the kids can run off their excess energy. On more than one occasion I've had a kid I never met before approach me about other kids being mean or excluding them from play. Universally these kids have been from other schools. The Vanguard kids recognize each other, play together and invite in other kids to play. They are also polite and comfortable self advocating to adults which is a great life skill and a testament to how they are being treated and guided at the school.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 28, 2015
I feel they treat students like they are below them and talk down and degrates them

Vanguard Classical School 1

Posted May 26, 2015
This was our first year at Vangaurd East in Aurora and it will be out last. I just only wish I would have seen the signs earlier and not kept my child there the whole year. I would not recommend this school To any parent that wants their kids to learn what is the future... Technology.. was told the Millers don't like it and don't encourage it. My daughter had so much anxiety over going to this school everyday that she made herself sick. At first I just thought it was just drama of being a 13 year old. But now that the year is over she is telling me all kinds of stories about what some of the teachers had said and done to her. As a previous reviewer has said the teachers yell at the kids all the time! If you are a teacher you should have the patience and kindness for kids and encourage learning instead of putting them down all the time. If you don't have these qualities you shouldn't be teaching kids. My daughter has struggled with school all her life and the last thing she needs is a teacher, a person who should lift up and encourage, call her stupid in front of the whole class when she couldn't answer a question. There is no excuse for that! My daughter was also told by Ms. Miller on several occasions that she couldn't be friends with someone simply because her friend was in the 9th grade and my daughter was in the 7th. And if they were seen together they would get a referral and then get suspended. If you are going to have a school that has kids from K to 12 then you should expect and encourage kids to be friends with people of all ages not just those in their grade. Just like it is in the world outside of school. I also personally witnessed a teacher in a yelling match with a parent in the pickup line for being in the wrong line and this was done in front of all the kids and other parents. If they do that in front of everyone what are they doing behind closed doors? My daughter was so afraid to do anything in this school because even looking at the teacher wrong would get you a detention. Do not walk away from this school... RUN!!!

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 22, 2015
A teacher calling a student who has struggled with school all her life, stupid in front of the class.

Vanguard Classical School 5

Posted May 11, 2015
With the school year coming to a close I could not be happier that I switched from Aurora Academy to VG. The difference in my children's confidence from last year to this year is unbelievable! They all enjoy going to school, come home talking about what they learned and actually don't even try to "play sick"! The co- teaching method is brilliant and seems to work to both the teachers and kids advantage. I will admit the school is still a little rough around the edges but is buffing out quite nicely and I am sure will be even better next year! The facility is state of the art. I also love that there are no half days and minimal days off during the school year besides breaks! ( makes it easier on us working parents) I would definaty check this school out and sit in on some classes. It is not for everyone but has worked out fantastic for my children and family!

801 Yosemite St, Denver, CO  80230
Last modified Vanguard Classical School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vanguard Classical School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top