School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The teachers and administrators at Vanguard Classical School invite you to come see us now! With a new leadership team and a renewed partnership with our Board of Directors, we are poised to have a fantastic school year for 2016-17. Come to a Parent Information Night or schedule a tour today and learn about the exciting changes happening at Vanguard!
July 15, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (6 responses)

Develops character: no rating

Our school uses the Core Virtues curriculum to teach and celebrate character development. We teach and redirect behavior using our HAWK Expectations and positive behavior support. The new administrative team is focused on building a positive school culture and training teachers for success, partnering with parents and holding students accountable for inappropriate behaviors.

The teachers at West go out of their way to help students. My son not only loves school, but he is learning so much!

We have two daughters at vanguard and one has attended both campuses. I appreciate that the expectations are clear from the first day for the students and parents. Our oldest daughter has been attending since 2013. I have seen both of them excel once they understood and followed the expectations. Most complaints I have heard from other parents have to do more with how rigorous programs of study in math, reading, and science are than bad teachers, Etc. There are no sports offered at the East campus YET. I believe that the school is growing carefully in this Ares as not to over budget. I agree with the model of these schools. I also think they are doing well to prepare my kids for higher education.

Our daughter attends VG East and we are very unhappy with her school experience there. She now has anxiety about everything related to school, about not having her books or her homework or not being on time every day. She seems really stressed out about any little infraction. And the stories she brings home are very disturbing. They give kids a disciplinary action for needing to use the restroom at any time other than restroom breaks. Our daughter was injured while playing a game of tag on asphalt, she has recess every other day in the school parking lot because there is only one playground and not enough room for everybody to use it, so they rotate days. One day she was pushed down, face first into the asphalt parking lot by another child, she had large abrasions on her forehead and knee that had chunks of asphalt embedded in them. She told us that she screamed really loud until a teacher came out (apparently they are unsupervised on the playground?) and in the meantime another child came up to ask if she was ok, even though it's against the "rules" to ask another child if they are ok! The school nurse sprayed some soapy water into her abrasions and when she cried in pain, she acted coldly, just put a bandaid over her asphalt-embedded wounds and made her take the stairs back down to class because she "didn't have time" to escort her down in the elevator. When she got home 6 hours later we removed the band-aid and had to scrub out the road base from her wounds and we hadn't been notified at all of her injury. We feel this school is teaching the opposite of empathy and good character, it seems very military-like and not caring, it is giving our daughter anxiety over everything, she hasn't been the same since she started school here two years ago.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers have less than 5 yrs experience and do not know how to handle students nor parent interactions.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Parents have been asked to raise money for a playground for 2 years and never seen any results. The complaint process is non-existent. And the director was suddenly removed mid-school year. My son has learned to "shut up and take it" from his teacher or else they fail him. This is not what Mr. Miller promised any of us.

Please Please Please DO NOT ENROLL YOUR CHILD AT THIS SCHOOL!! We just received a memo stating that Mr. Miller left effective 11/18/15. My son started here in the 2nd grade and is now in the 5th. None of his original teachers here. They have all left. My son is currently in a class with a teacher who is not certified in Singapore math. This teacher complains that ALL of the students are doing poorly in math but fails to recognize it is his teacher and not the students that have a problem. This same teacher sent me a very unprofessional email when I questioned him about a failing grade. RUN AWAY!! This school preys on non-English speaking parents that have no idea what is happening. If you have a spine and stand up for your child by asking questions you will notice the school will label your child as a problem and their grades will suddenly drop.

We struggled in deciding whether or not we should send our kids here. We finally decided to put the kids in the Aurora campus because it was close to home and because they promised us really good things such as Singapore Math instead of Common Core, two teachers in each classroom, etc. We are two months into our school year here and they have done nothing but lie to us, and treat my children terribly. There are not two teachers in the upper grades, nor is there Singapore Math in these grades. My son came home the other day telling us that he got detention and was forced to clean toilets and pick up trash. We asked some other students our kids know and they told us that they have had to scrub the walls with old toothbrushes among other unnecessary cleaning duties as part of a punishment. That is totally WRONG and they will be hearing from me!! The people who are saying that these teachers are nice, must be getting decent teachers, but what about the other teachers like the one my son currently has? Everyday there is another email sent to me about my son's "poor behavior" and every day I am confused because the things the teacher is tattling on are not even punishable. As far as sports goes, both my son and daughter are in sports at this school and the coaches are less that adequate. We watch the coaches just stand there and talk to other adults when they should be coaching and giving the team their pre-game pep talks. My daughter has come home telling us that they don't even practice at practice. Instead they stand there and have "complaining sessions" with catty talk. I could go on for pages of the things that are SO wrong with this school. I even heard a roomer that the principal isn't even qualified to be a principal. What the heck is he doing being there?? I do not recommend anybody to send their kids here at all! Not even as a last resort!! I am so regretful that I took my kids out of this school! It is no better than sending my children to a public school. They will definitely not be here much longer!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

When a teacher leaves there are tears and discussions about why the teacher is leaving or won't be there to teach a students younger siblings. The students have favorites and specific teachers that they are not enamored with but primarily the teachers are loved by the kids. The teachers also maintain discipline very effectively. People that have said that the school has military properties or is overly strict might consider the overall outcomes in the context of the student population. A teacher needs to maintain quiet and structure to teach to everyone and a brief tour during school hours will show you that they accomplish that goal every day. There is no yelling but there is discipline and the kids benefit from that structure. So, yeah, very effective.

Last modified Vanguard Classical School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.