Public charter
Denver, CO

Vanguard Classical School
Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 22, 2015
A teacher calling a student who has struggled with school all her life, stupid in front of the class.

Posted May 11, 2015
With the school year coming to a close I could not be happier that I switched from Aurora Academy to VG. The difference in my children's confidence from last year to this year is unbelievable! They all enjoy going to school, come home talking about what they learned and actually don't even try to "play sick"! The co- teaching method is brilliant and seems to work to both the teachers and kids advantage. I will admit the school is still a little rough around the edges but is buffing out quite nicely and I am sure will be even better next year! The facility is state of the art. I also love that there are no half days and minimal days off during the school year besides breaks! ( makes it easier on us working parents) I would definaty check this school out and sit in on some classes. It is not for everyone but has worked out fantastic for my children and family!

Posted April 15, 2015
This school is the epitome of the education system. They are rigid and strict and allow almost no freedoms to the students. The day is spent in a lecture type environment with no hands on learning or visual aids. Students are punished for talking & have minutes taken off of their recess.. They are given no free time to unwind and conversate with fellow students even academic related conversation. This cause the student to be isolated and have a hard time connecting with others and making friendships. There is no room for error, homework is counted off 50% is turned in late even if the assignment is 100% correct they still receive and F. That is not teaching, that is controling. Student are taught that their opinion and voice does not matter because they are not allowed to share. If you walk the halls you will hear the teachers demanding the student be "on silent". Students are ocked out of the classroom for the period if they are late to class. The people who run this school have no education degrees. The school is not warm & welcoming but is run more like a corporate business. I feel that Vanguard teaches children to fear and loath school. I would NOT recomend this school

Posted March 20, 2015
First, this CHARTER school that parents CHOOSE is very transparent about the rules, the homework and the curriculum. See what I did there with choose - you don't have to go to this school. Second, the administrators are spread thin between two campuses. They're doing their best but you can tell they could use some help. Third, the teachers are young. You get them while they're excited and full of energy but you also get high turnover. We've been very pleased with our daughter's teachers and their replacements. Fourth, the best part about this school, there aren't many entitled brats with they're self-centered helicopter parents. Fifth, this isn't a touchy feely school. It's structured and everyone is held accountable. Lastly, this a great school for Mustachians!

Posted March 10, 2015
We attend Vanguard East. Walking into a new school can be very difficult. There is NO school that is perfect. There is NO school that will fulfill every single need for you or your child. That's not reality. Mr. And Mrs. Miller are running a brand new campus with little to no support from APS, a plethora of new staff and a majority of the students are transfers from other schools. How easy is that to handle? Let's try to remember that there aren't a lot of people out there who actually care about other people's kids like the Millers do. Their methods may not be perfect or the exact way you do things in your family, but then is that why we send our kids to school in the first place or is it to learn? I think that there has been some misunderstood tactics and if questions were just asked and if conclusions were not leapt to, it may make things easier in the end. Personally, this school is the right fit for our family and we will do our best to promote it to others by telling the truth!

Posted February 24, 2015
We moved our kids to Vanguard (east campus) for it's inaugural year. Early on, we started hearing little things from our children and some staff (whom we know). At first we didn't pay much attention to the complaints. Then, we noticed at a few different events that the staff was unusually cold, ignoring the parents. Then we started hearing about kids being locked in (and out of) classrooms, and odd things like the administrator going around and closing window blinds and removing the control rods because "looking outside was a distraction". We then hear that the kids are not ever allowed to socialize, to the point where our kids have no real friends there. Apparently, the school has it's own weather policy (separate from Aurora Public Schools), which has not been communicated. During the latest snow storm, it decided to open on time, despite all of APS being on delay. Half the kids got late slips. There are more things, but not enough room to tell here...Unfortunately, creating "shock value" and an atmosphere of fear in the students and teachers seems to be the main focus here. My children will NOT be attending next year. Please consult other parents before choosing this school!

Posted February 17, 2015
Horrible school! High turnover rate of staff, and for many reasons. it is run like a corporate business, not a school. The administration do not have the best interests of the students at heart. The Administration are narrow minded, hypocritical, disorganized and disrespectful. A very negative and immature atmosphere. 60% or more new staff every year. Highly disorganized and faux military style tactics!!! Do not send your child there! Their tactics are based in fear and narrow minded cliches!

Posted February 06, 2015
I moved my son from Aurora Academy to Vanguard Classical School - East Campus. We love the facility and the value placed on Education is exceptional. The school was very transparent about the homework policy and their adherence to the Core Knowledge framework. The school also has alot of enrichment programs that one can sign up kids for. They are very diverse and really focused on the sucess of the children. My son and I have learned to work together on a structure that works for our household as the school requires that you encourage your kid to read daily, get involved in extra-curriculum activities daily and we are also required to keep a log. The school also has the incentive program where students are rewarded daily by a color- silver, green, blue or Red scheme based on how well the student behaved that day and the parents get a feedback on your kids behaviour. It has been a wonderful experience so far. We really love it here. And i am excited about the K-12 plan and the soccer field and gym in the proposed future plan of the school.

Posted January 23, 2015
If you like military school and want your children to have no childhood than this is the school for you, this place is just miserable, my kids attend the new east campus. You walk in to the unfriendly staff and don't hear a singe sound no children, NOTHING! The lack of friendliness in the place is incredible,and the rules are just ridiculous. I think they forget these are children and not robots. My children will not be returning to this school next year as I am horrified by the rules and miserable grouchy always yelling at kids teachers. You are not allowed to go to the rest room EVER, not allowed to talk to anybody EVER the kids have no chance to make friends. I am just so disappointed by this school, I was hoping for great things not sad unhappy children. If you are considering this school go there and talk to other parents first.

Posted October 23, 2014
My child attended this school briefly until we discovered the way this school is run. The administration is very unfriendly and seem to be promoting a very conservative, religious agenda. For example, items at the book fair must first be checked by them personally to make sure nothing is sold they deem inappropriate - these are removed. (One author they took exception to is Judy Bloom - too racy). They also choose not to teach content that is supposed to be a part of the core knowledge sequence but that they find too "controversial", for example evolution, a tenant of science. Additionally, my child was not happy here since even young children need to sit and be quiet most of the time. I saw plenty of evidence of lecturing from the teachers about proper behavior and very little actual learning going on.

Vanguard Classical School
801 Yosemite St, Denver, CO  80230
Last modified Vanguard Classical School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vanguard Classical School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top