Denver, CO

Posted September 29, 2014
This is my daughter's first year at Challenge (2nd grade) and so far we are so glad she was accepted into such a great school. I read some of the reviews about the application process and that it is unfair. I did not find this to be true. We applied for K and 1st grade. My daughter scored well on the tests and did not get a spot, but when there is a limited number of spots available, it happens. This year we were put on a wait list again, but a spot became available and we "won" it in the lottery pool of qualified applicants. It can't get much more fair than that, in my opinion. So far our kiddo is doing really well and her teachers have made sure she is comfortable and adjusts well. The opportunities given to expand young minds in the extracurricular activities, mini courses, and immersion weeks are just wonderful! I love that there are required family service hours to keep us all involved as part of a school community. Really excited for our future at this school!

Posted August 01, 2014
A school for the highly gifted and/ or highly motivated, academically advanced student, K-8.... I have 3 sons who have attended this school spanning the past 11 years. I appreciate that the Challenge School has worked with each of them on an individual basis so as to allow for them to reach their highest potential in math, science and language arts. The science and math teachers are second to none!!

Posted April 08, 2014
I felt I had to enter my own review after reading some of the responses here. I have had two children (a male and a female so I got to see both perspectives) go through Challenge from K-8th grade. I can tell you for a fact that I did not have enough money to offer a "donation" bribe, and feel that although rigorous the application process is fair and understandable. Challenge was a fantastic experience for both kids, and provided a great foundation for their future. My eldest is graduating from the International Baccalaureate program this Spring, and felt that Challenge provided the good habits and academic background necessary to achieve this goal. As far as the "bullying" and "self-harm", I have been a member of this community for 13 years and through multiple principals and team changes, and have neither seen this as a major problem nor ever experienced a time when the staff was unresponsive to serious issues. No school is perfect, but the times when I have seen issues come up they have been handled promptly and professionally. Challenge has been a real blessing for my children, and provides a unique opportunity for gifted students. I wish the school continued success.

Challenge School 1

Posted April 04, 2014
My child entered this school in 5th grade as an extremely advanced, self-assured individual. In four years time this well-adjusted young adult fell to modestly advanced/proficient (according to TCAP scores) and became severely emotionally distraught. There was tremendous pressure at this school on many levels (not just academic). I would liken it to a pressure cooker. As a result, there was a significant problem with self-harm, especially in the higher grades (fortunately, my child did not resort to this) which was all but ignored. Bullying was also a major problem but is much more insidious and manipulative than you will find at most middle schools (these are gifted children, after all). My child was bullied excessively and sought help from teachers and the administration on many occassions (to no avail). When my child fought back physically (after months of abuse) she received a ridiculously harsh punishment while the perpetrator received a slap on the wrist. Does this school provide challenging curriculum, yes. Will it be the right fit for every gifted learner, most definitely not. Please just do your homework and ask lots of questions before you commit to this school.

Posted November 05, 2013
I am a parent to three current Challenge students and we have been a member of the Challenge community since 2006. I can gauranteed you that we have not made or been expected to make any sizeable donation to the school. Challenge is a unique and special community and admission to the school is not purely based upon test scores. I believe that Challenge embraces its standing as an IB school equally with being a gifted school. In my opinion, in order to be accepted, you must fit well as a gifted learner and an IB learner. The staff is wonderful and they try to do what they believe is best for the students. Unfortunately, based on size and popularity alone, there would be no way to accept all the students who wish to attend.

Challenge School 1

Posted November 04, 2013
I agree with the parent about unfairness of the application process. It is very unclear who gets in. Gossip around town is that you have to offer a good donation to be considered. I tried to get my two children in 4 years apart. They both scored high in IQ tests, got in in advanced kindergarten in two districts, early entrance in one, admitted to another gifted school in Aurora, but not in Challenge. No wonder I asked the question how that is possible.

Posted June 19, 2013
Re: 2/1/2013 post about application process: As a teacher who is part of the application process at Challenge each year, I have to say this post is incredibly inaccurate. Teachers spend literally hours examining the entire application, and test scores, work samples, student and parent questionnaires are all given a thorough examination during the process. No one part of the application means more than the others. Please consider the efforts expended by staff to make this process transparent and fair, as we are all working for the best for each student. Challenge is an outstanding school, and I am proud to be part of such a dynamic and hard working staff.

Posted February 01, 2013
When u apply to Challenge they go by the teacher's recommendation(most teachers don't have the time to fill out a 4 page application that is pretty long ). They filter the candidates and select the ones with a good recommendation. In my opinion it is not a fair process, every child should be interviewed and tested for their talent. The child's future is in the hands of the recommending teacher and in most cases the teacher recommending may not even check the questions on the form to see if the child knows it.. Even though they say it is overall scoring i thinks its disappointing when they don't even give your child a fair interview after u spend hours filling out an appplication and getting the recommendation letters. I am not happy with the selection process. Its just not fair!

Posted December 19, 2011
I am so blessed to have found this school for my children! We were paying private school tuition until we found out there was a public school doing better work for kids than our private school was - and without all of the silly politics you find at private schools. We are grateful to the outstanding principal and staff for such a wonderful school for our children.

Posted December 04, 2011
I am an eighth grader at Challenge, and this is my ninth year. I have loved every second at this school! The atmosphere is great, the students are excellent, well-rounded people (contrary to some inaccurate allegations, incidents of self harm and bullying are almost nonexistent, even among the older kids), the teachers are intelligent and caring, and the academics are challenging and fun. The courseload and homework are manageable and simulating. The Challenge school environment is unforgettable, and i would recommend it for anyone who likes to learn.

Challenge School
9659 East Mississippi Ave, Denver, CO  80231
Last modified Challenge School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Challenge School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top