Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Brown failed us not once but twice. We left when we were told our 4th grader, reading at a 2nd-grade level, was a "joy to have in class" and did not need any extra help.

Effective school leaders: Agree

The leadership at the school is effective at carrying out self and system imposed criteria. Raley is the best interest of students, staff or the burdens of families brought into consideration when the term "effective" is used.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The school by its discipline processes, problem-solving strategies, administrator techniques that foster a bully beget the bully system within the walls of the school undermines its ability to develop any of these characteristics. Students are often labeled as the good vs bad kids. While they use this verbiage they rarely demonstrate it.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Many of these teachers are nice enough but are overworked. Enough of the teachers simply glide along without the extra investment you might want your child's teacher to have. The teachers that are motivated often fear for their jobs if speak out.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The homework was rarely relevant to the classwork and often did not meet the goal of homework as review and practice. It often covered topics that were not introduced in class and were new to students.

As a parent of a struggling student, Brown did not do it's job to support a struggling reader or parent. They were slow to recognize and address her learning difficulties. They were inflexible about embracing outside support when the tools they provided were minimal and ineffective. We also found there is a bully tolerance from the administration down. Role modeling effective problem-solving solutions is not evident.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My daughter was mistreated and I was not made aware of it, even though she talked to her teacher and was bullied in front of her teacher. During one occasion she was pulled across the snow by her hair and I was not informed. My daughter told me about it several months later and the story was comfirmed by another student.

Overcrowed, was turned away even though it was our neighborhood school had to threaten the school with news coverage to get her in as required by law. Not a ethnically mixed school. Lack of communication between staff and parents. Was not told my daughter was being bullied even though she complained to teacher about being dragged through the snow by another student. My daughter loves school and has always been social and enjoyed school until she went to Brown. The beginning of school started off great, one day one of the popular girls decided not to include her in their group. They started off by ignoring her and eventually bullied her. The sad thing is I had relationships with the other parents, I attended parent teacher meetings and I also volunteered for field trips and nobody told me about what was going on. My daughter was too embarrassed to tell me anything, and her teacher never once mentioned any social problems. I noticed a change in my daughter and started to ask her what was going on. She broke down crying saying that the other girls had bullied her for 5 months and nobody protected her including the teacher who was always "too busy" to care. I am a working single mother and worked very hard to keep up with the stay at homes moms that tend to be the norm at this school. I did everything I could to get answers once I found out what happened. I was given the cold shoulder by the community and left with nothing but questions. Our cousin was a grade younger and seen what was going on and felt helpless. She told me she would watch my daughter sit by herself and was not allowed to play with her because they were in different age groups therefor separated in the playground. The staff was 100 rude and always seemed eager to get us out of their hair. My daughter has been moved to another school in which she has zero problems and is doing well. She had no problems previous to Brown and zero problems after Brown. I still am left with nothing but questions for the staff, community and students at Brown.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Good at teaching, over whelmed with over crowding and do not inform parents of bullying or abuse.

Amount of homework: Disagree

About 2 hours of homework every night which is fine if you do not have a job or and your student does not participate in after school sports.

Last modified Brown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.