Bad
Good

Carson Elementary School 4

Posted April 27, 2016
Carson is a well-regarded elementary school in the Hilltop area. There are tons of active families, pleasant children, committed teachers, and ample extracurricular / after school activities. It has a fabulous character ed program that really differentiates it from other programs. On the whole, it's a very safe, fun and enriching place to attend elementary school in Denver. There is room for improvement around specific teacher communication to parents (responding to emails, giving class updates, for example). There is very little window into what is going on in class, the current topics of study, etc, as very little homework is sent home with students (which is a good thing). My child has mentioned that math is "not real math", and says that students are directed to make up their own formulas (in geometry), investigate problems in teams (with no solutions), and the tests are nonsensical with poor wording and confusing directions. The school uses Everyday Mathematics currently, and is switching to Bridges, another discovery math program where teachers do not direct instruction using traditional math procedures. As most of the area schools have some form of discovery, teamwork math program, it's not a reason to not select this school but it's a weakness.

Posted September 18, 2014
Carson is a DPS gem! We have been very happy with the school. The teachers our children have had have been fantastic, the parents are highly involved, and the community is very welcoming. The character education program is reinforced daily and we are happy that our children are exposed to such a unique component of the curriculum. The enrichment offerings are numerous and solid. The school offers a great education and we feel fortunate to live within its boundaries.

Carson Elementary School 1

Posted September 16, 2014
Very disappointing school. This school has high teacher turnover, we have lost two teachers during the school year. I am a full-time working parent and communication is terrible, no lead time to make any plans for child care, school parties, picking up school supplies, etc. if I had to do it over again, I would never have enrolled my child at this school.

Posted May 16, 2013
My son started Carson in 3rd grade and it has been a terrific experience. The staff is wonderful, his teachers have his best interests at heart. The parental involvement is outstanding and I am so happy that I chose Carson for my son. I was worried because of all the bad you hear about Denver Public Schools, but this school is amazing and I would not change a thing. The character education that they have at Carson falls right in line with how I raise my son and the small class sizes mean that each child does not get overlooked. I would recommend Carson to any parent looking for a great learning environment for their child!

Posted October 14, 2012
Carson is a terrific school. The teachers and school leadership are exceptional. The academic level is advanced. I feel fortunate to have my child attending the school. Very impressed. I would also like to highlight the kindergarten program, it's excellent.

Posted May 31, 2012
Carson is an excellent school!!! We have been thrilled with the teachers, principle and parents at Carson. We wouldn't go anywhere else.

Posted June 21, 2011
Carson is fantastic! I observed the school before sending my kids there and recommend you do the same before making a choice. The positive atmosphere inspires my children to want to learn. I couldn't imagine sending my kids anywhere else.

Carson Elementary School 1

Posted May 23, 2011
The other reviews of this school clearly reflect a "group think" perspective and not the reality of the performance of this school. The families at this school are great but the teachers and administration at this school are very much sub par. Of the 1st through 5th grade teachers (i.e. 9 teachers) only 2 have a passion for teaching. The rest are typical public school under achievers. If your kids aren't in the HG program, the academic expectations of students are extremely low. Classroom discipline is a joke. Problem children are sent to the neighboring classroom for "time outs" so they can disrupt two classrooms instead of effective discipline being metered by the principal and the parents. In fact I have never known of parents being notified of their problem child(ren) even after two years of constant classroom misbehavior. My kids are shell-shocked by the clowns in their classrooms. The principal is nice and "available" but has done nothing to raise the performance of teachers or students. The teachers she has hired are big-time status quo under-performers. Even with the HG program Carson scores 20 points below Steck which is a mile away with similar demographics.

Posted October 05, 2009
Carson is a great school for my grandaughter. It has small classes so the teachers can devote more time to each student. It has a counsellor who works to help the children develop social skills and learn to get along together. This is really important in these days of bullying and hazing.

Posted September 28, 2009
Great new principal, fabulous teachers and involved, proactive parents!

5420 East 1st Avenue, Denver, CO  80220
Last modified Carson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.