Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted September 18, 2014
Carson is a DPS gem! We have been very happy with the school. The teachers our children have had have been fantastic, the parents are highly involved, and the community is very welcoming. The character education program is reinforced daily and we are happy that our children are exposed to such a unique component of the curriculum. The enrichment offerings are numerous and solid. The school offers a great education and we feel fortunate to live within its boundaries.

Carson Elementary School 1

Posted September 16, 2014
Very disappointing school. This school has high teacher turnover, we have lost two teachers during the school year. I am a full-time working parent and communication is terrible, no lead time to make any plans for child care, school parties, picking up school supplies, etc. if I had to do it over again, I would never have enrolled my child at this school.

Posted January 10, 2014
Carson is an excellent character education school with first-rate teachers. There are two classes per grade (traditional) with two teachers per grade, one focused on literacy and one focused on math / science. The parent community is very active with a PTA that raises funds to provide extra resources, such as field trips and new technology in classrooms. The PTA does not actively try to improve curriculum, however, which is needed. The school has a fabulous music program and choir in addition to other enrichments offered. Like most DPS elementary schools, Carson uses the deficient Everyday Math curriculum, and most parents need to supplement math at home. That said, Carson has good TCAP math scores until they drop off in grade 5 (maybe due to Everyday Math not teaching standard math operations.) The biggest weaknesses of the school are the HGT program (which seems inequitable counter to Carson character traits) and the unwillingness of administration to look at other math programs that innovative schools use in Denver. Overall, Carson is a good choice with potential for greatness with a bit more courage from leadership.

Posted May 16, 2013
My son started Carson in 3rd grade and it has been a terrific experience. The staff is wonderful, his teachers have his best interests at heart. The parental involvement is outstanding and I am so happy that I chose Carson for my son. I was worried because of all the bad you hear about Denver Public Schools, but this school is amazing and I would not change a thing. The character education that they have at Carson falls right in line with how I raise my son and the small class sizes mean that each child does not get overlooked. I would recommend Carson to any parent looking for a great learning environment for their child!

Posted October 14, 2012
Carson is a terrific school. The teachers and school leadership are exceptional. The academic level is advanced. I feel fortunate to have my child attending the school. Very impressed. I would also like to highlight the kindergarten program, it's excellent.

Posted May 31, 2012
Carson is an excellent school!!! We have been thrilled with the teachers, principle and parents at Carson. We wouldn't go anywhere else.

Posted June 21, 2011
Carson is fantastic! I observed the school before sending my kids there and recommend you do the same before making a choice. The positive atmosphere inspires my children to want to learn. I couldn't imagine sending my kids anywhere else.

Carson Elementary School 1

Posted May 23, 2011
The other reviews of this school clearly reflect a "group think" perspective and not the reality of the performance of this school. The families at this school are great but the teachers and administration at this school are very much sub par. Of the 1st through 5th grade teachers (i.e. 9 teachers) only 2 have a passion for teaching. The rest are typical public school under achievers. If your kids aren't in the HG program, the academic expectations of students are extremely low. Classroom discipline is a joke. Problem children are sent to the neighboring classroom for "time outs" so they can disrupt two classrooms instead of effective discipline being metered by the principal and the parents. In fact I have never known of parents being notified of their problem child(ren) even after two years of constant classroom misbehavior. My kids are shell-shocked by the clowns in their classrooms. The principal is nice and "available" but has done nothing to raise the performance of teachers or students. The teachers she has hired are big-time status quo under-performers. Even with the HG program Carson scores 20 points below Steck which is a mile away with similar demographics.

Carson Elementary School 0

Posted October 05, 2009
Carson is a great school for my grandaughter. It has small classes so the teachers can devote more time to each student. It has a counsellor who works to help the children develop social skills and learn to get along together. This is really important in these days of bullying and hazing.

Carson Elementary School 0

Posted September 28, 2009
Great new principal, fabulous teachers and involved, proactive parents!

Carson Elementary School
5420 East 1st Ave, Denver, CO  80220
Last modified Carson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top