Public charter
Denver, CO

Posted April 28, 2015
Let's start about the misinformation on this page alone. 1) no GT program as it is not needed. 2) No Extended day program. The few after school activities are used as a babysitting service with not all kids taking them seriously. 3) No parent involvement. 4) No tutoring program ,community service, and required volunteer hours are not completed or paid for. Kids yell at their teachers and speak disrespectfully to them, including admin and little is done by the principal. The kids who are there to learn and do what they should are not getting the education they deserve or good school environment. Bullying and aggressive behavior is rampant in the school. There are teachers that aren't even certified by the state! No one really seems to know what is going on most of the time. The school has been banned from using the park across the street because their students were rude to the senior citizens who live there and do not treat it with respect. Any good reviews must be done by a few staff to beef up the rating as most staff doesn't return each year, over half. This school talks a big game, but the reality is that it's all talk. RUN AWAY! You've been warned.

Posted February 27, 2015
I am so proud of CCA. The faculty and staff are true leaders despite what obstacles lay a head they collaborate as a team and receive advice and help from parents when appropriate. I have witnessed solutions to issues that a raise in all schools, met with respect and grace. The other reason we chose CCA was because we felt we could be a part of the community and help teach our CCS students to learn how to become community leaders.

Posted December 27, 2014
No, Just NO! I went to this school for three years and hated it. I was rarely treated with respect by ANY of the teachers and staff, didn't get help with anything I needed. They didn't care about the students at one point. I was only able to work with one teacher out of the entire school. I seriously do not recommend this school to anyone unless you want to be treated with absolute disrespect from pretty much everyone and have them constantly tell you how they're "College Bound" and "Creating Leaders" or whatever. It's not worth sending your kids to.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 19, 2014
I am a teacher at CCA-Denver. I've been privileged to serve both the middle school and elementary students as a 1st grade teacher, 5th grade teacher and middle school dance instructor since 2010. No school is perfect but over the years I've learned through personal experience that those who teach at CCA are there because they truly love children and want to make a positive impact in their lives. This school is geared towards those who learn in a traditional environment. The schedule is intense and curriculum rigorous. To those who need a more flexible environment such as Montessori, this school may not be the right fit. However, if your child thrives on routine and high expectations, come and take a tour for yourself. I am proud to say that the teachers receive weekly training on meeting a variety of student needs through the use of data to differentiate learning. Our teachers work as a grade level team as well as vertical teams to help children to successfully learn and transition from each grade. If you'd like to learn more and see if CCA is the right fit for you, visit our website, Facebook page or school.

Posted November 28, 2014
I'm a FORMER teacher from this school and the big reason I left was due to the high level of disrespect that some of the middle school students have for their teachers. Cussing at them, walking out of class whenever they want, yelling and back talking, and accusing staff members of being racist whenever they get in trouble, even when asked to do the simplest things. The school refuses to really discipline the trouble makers and thus they disrupt the entire learning environment. These kids are doing what they please and the principal does nothing about it and has even made excuses for their behavior. In other schools I've worked at kids were suspended for this type of behavior! Suspensions are not a part of the philosophy at this school no matter how severe. Good families and teachers are leaving, left, or looking to leave by the end of this school year if not before. This can be a good school, but as long as certain behaviors are being tolerated, it will continue to struggle and staff turnover will remain high. There are many good kids at this school, but unfortunately there are too many others who are making it less desirable.
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2014
I think this school is GREAT for many reasons. The teachers work really hard and are supportive of the students. They go above and beyond planning lessons and making sure the students are receiving the best education. The paraprofessionals in the classroom support the teacher with small group intervention for struggling students. The school welcomes parents - parents are required to volunteer 2 hours a quarter in the classroom. The school puts on various events including Family Fiesta and CCA day. The administration is supportive of the students. They are approachable when you have questions. I would recommend this school to others!

Posted August 22, 2013
I am so excited for the new school year. Cesar Chavez just gets better every year. A new school, like everything else, takes time to iron out the flaws and learn. The recent turnover in teachers was a concern, until I reseachered the turnover in other schools. Unfortunaetly, the pay is not close to what our teachers are worth, personality conflicts are in every work place and young teachers just move on. I am confident that our scores will speak volumes. Our parent approval rate is 92%! What a inspiring addition to Northwest Denver!

Posted August 22, 2013
I have three children attending CCA and have been since kindergarten my oldest now in 7th grade. I am confident I have chosen a great school for all three of them. I understand the concern w/ the turn over in teachers but I am completely satisfied with the way Ms. Patel is running the school. I thought she was an amazing teacher and now she's an amazing leader. Her biggest concern is educating our children and I am so proud to be apart of such a great organization and community. I know they are there to listen, communication is great w/ teachers and all staff for that matter. Ms. Patel is outside every single morning and afternoon to greet the students, watching out for the safety of her students. I would recommend this school to my closet family. I encourage anyone looking for a great school in our neighborhood to pay CCA a visit. Academically my children are doing wonderful, honor roll every semester.

Posted August 06, 2013
My boys went to Cesar Chavez Academy for K -2 and K-1. I have been so impressed by the high academic standard as well as with the strong community feel. I felt great about dropping them off in the morning, especially when I seen the principal and other teachers outside to greet them. Both of my boys are reading 2 grades ahead. I love that they were assessed so quickly and put in reading groups that fit their level. We were sad to leave the school after moving to Northglenn.

Posted July 25, 2013
My children have attended the school since it opened and I have only seen changes for the positive - and so happy the school is K-8! The current Admin team are all former educators and seem to be holding the teaching staff to a higher standard than those before (and the test scores show the improvements). The principal is wonderful - a no-nonsense person, but you can tell she really loves all those kids. Still a young school and not everyone will always be happy, but there are lots of good changes and moving in the right direction! Fresh faces and new perspectives is not a bad thing!

Cesar Chavez Academy Denver
3752 Tennyson St, Denver, CO  80212
Last modified Cesar Chavez Academy Denver is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cesar Chavez Academy Denver Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top