Denver Green School

Public | PK-7

Posted August 25, 2014

Denver Green School is a great school! My son first came to the school last year for fifth grade. He has struggled with conventional learning since kindergarten. I believe it was a combination of his great teachers, parent communication and a more modernized style of learning, but my son did amazing. For the first time since starting school, he loves his school, has great friends and a real sense of community! The school year just started again and I'm happy to have both of my children attending DGS now. GO DRAGONS!

Posted August 11, 2014

This school is awful. My child is bullied and gets in trouble for it, the principal only comes around to judge you even though she's never met you or been around before then, and the punishment for children is pretty much non existent. I guess to be fair we just came from New York which has a better school system/education by far but I can't wait to try and get him out of this school.

Posted January 17, 2014

We were lucky enough to be able to choice in to this wonderful school! We have nothing but the highest and praise and the most sincere gratitude. The school community truly involves, challenges and cares for our child in a thoughtful, kind and meaningful way!

Posted May 30, 2013

my first grade son is been bullied by his teacher she is verbally abusive we had have a very difficult year a specially after talking to the principal about the issues than thinks has become worst. I hope other parents don't go through what I experience.

Posted May 8, 2013

I am a student at DGS and by far I hate it! I am in 6th grade and my teachers are the worst! I mainly have 3 teachers depending on that specific day. there is Mrs. ****** which is probably the worst. She sometimes gives refocus to the kids that actually do their homework! Second is Mr. ******, he isn't that bad but as the school year passes by he starts getting even more strict. Mr. ********* is the third and I have got to say he needs to keep his hands to himself! He grabs kids from the shoulders and pushes them so that he can get their attention. I think they need better teachers for the 6th grade. for 7th and 8th grade, I think the teachers a very nice. I am making this review mainly for those 5th graders that are heading the 6th grade! I am saying this from experience so I do not recommend this school for your child, especially if he/she is in 6th grade.

Posted May 3, 2013

We don't bring this criticism lightly. We admire aspects of this school & the teachers. Our child loves his teachers & they encourage him to incorporate his specific skill set into his learning as often as possible. You can pay 250$ a week over summer to come work a portion of the garden. We can't afford it. Bummer because we live in an apartment, but here is our biggest issue: American history, basic economics & foreign languages are not taught. We find this to be an ongoing & troubling issue. Their priorities are kind of out of whack: Last Fall, funds raised for patio stones @ 50$ ea. could have been used to buy books for the Literature teacher who didn't have enough for her students. We don't feel our child is being prepared for the rigors of high school academia. Not laying this entirely at the feet of his current school, but important pieces are missing there & resolution seems to come slowly if at all. We feel our son @ times is a proverbial guinea pig immersed in an experimental education, the results of which are questionable & may only be revealed long after he's departed DGS.

Posted April 2, 2013

THIS SCHOOL IS HANDS DOWN - THE BEST THAT DPS HAS TO OFFER!!! My son opted out of Hill to go to DGS and it's a good thing he did. He is doing so well that he doesn't even have to take HS algebra next year. The teachers are amazing and there is none of the dreaded "middle school drama" going on. Cannot recommend it enough.

Posted September 10, 2012

This school is awesome. My daughter is in 3rd grade, her teachers are great, supportive and very attentive.

Posted July 4, 2012

I must say this school is by far one of the best in SE Denver. My daughter began kindergarten with Ms. Pattishaw and has excelled all school year. She is now reading at the 3rd grade level and is advanced in over half of her course work The teachers are extremely involved, kids are great and the concept is unique. She especially enjoys the ski club, demonstration nights and family events. Three cheers for Denver Green School... Hip Hip Hooray!

Posted May 9, 2012

The best school in DPS, I am convinced. Both my son and daughter attend DGS, and have since it opened last year, and we have been continually impressed by both the teaching staff and the parenting community. I am very comfortable leaving my children here every morning, I know that they are in great hands. My daughter attended another DPS school prior to coming to DGS, and the difference is amazing. Both my children are excited to go to school. Another perk is the farm attached to the school, what a fantastic thing to have the kids know and see where food comes from! DGS fosters and really cares about the community around it, and the community of the families and students, and it shows.

Posted January 10, 2012

While searching for a middle school, we discovered Denver Green School. After talking to the Partners that started and run the school, we not only sent our middle school aged child, but our elementary school age child as well. We live in district at a top rated DPS school, but choiced both of our children to attend DGS. They are both in their second year at DGS and our family couldn't be happier. What stands out at DGS are the amazing teachers and staff. We are so impressed with how much our children are learning and thriving. It's also telling when your children never want to miss school. The sustainability focus and hands on learning keep the kids engaged and enables them to work together and individually when appropriate. I'm impressed with how well the teachers can handle students at different levels yet keep them all engaged and focused. I volunteer for the school and am constantly amazed with what is being accomplished. Keep in mind we only have one year of test scores and just one class that tested - I'm confident we'll improve in this area as more accurate data is available.

Posted December 14, 2011

DGS has changed our family s life! Although that may seem a little dramatic, it is absolutely the case on so many levels. After attending a top ranked DPS school for K-1, we found our daughter misunderstood, defeated and uninterested in school. To be so young and have feelings of extreme diminished self-worth created by her academic performance, left us feeling scared, confused, angry and helpless as parents. No one ever wants to hear, I m stupid and dumb from your five year old child repeatedly. Enter DGS! The reasons why we chose DGS pale in comparison to the actual actions, love, care, dedication and commitment to our child. I could go on for days about the daily activities that have transformed our little one into someone who actually loves school and is loving herself. I am in awe of the Lead Partners and the group of amazing teachers that fill the halls of DGS. As parents, we are not alone, finally, in our advocacy for our daughter. Our daughter is getting an amazing education, becoming a well-rounded lifelong learner and now speaks to us about her importance within her community at DGS. Wow! Thanks DGS.

Posted December 10, 2011

You can tell just by walking in the door of a school whether it gives off a good vibe or not. Walking in the door of Denver Green School, you can tell that it is a great place to be. This is my daughter's second year here, she started in kindergarten when the school opened last year. I am consistently amazed by the enthusiastic, caring teachers and administration, and their passion not only for the green school concept, but for the overall wellbeing of the students. I have found the parent community to be involved and interested in the school's success. No school is perfect. This is a neighborhood school in a neighborhood that used to be mainly older people but is seeing an influx of families. It has also become popular with parents seeking to choice in. The result of this is, as another poster mentioned, growing pains. However, the school remedied the problem of class size in the first grade classes, and there is now an assistant. While unfortunate, the delay in getting the assistant had nothing to do with fundraising being used for a garden, but was a result of internal DPS hiring processes. DGS shouldn't be faulted for that, especially given its other great qualities.

Posted December 9, 2011

The Denver Green School (DGS) is a wonderful school. And I mean that in the sense that it is a place full of wonder. My daughter was in the school's very very first Kindergarten class last year and is now enjoying a very rich and rewarding First grade class. The curriculum is based on educating for sustainability. Learning takes place in the context of understanding ones place as a member of a community-How we treat ourselves, our friends and our planet. Our family could not be happier with this school. The entire faculty and staff- from the teachers to administrators to the office, maintenance and lunch staff ALL consistently exhibit the utmost level of professional excellence. As we are only in our second year, perhaps the test scores mentioned here are not as high as they should be. Yet, if you could see the quality and feel the enthusiasm of the learning happening there you would see why I am confident DGS will soon have a national reputation for academic excellence and student excitement.

Posted November 22, 2011

This school is only in its second year and it is having growing pains. I love the concept of the school. They are the only school in Colorado at this time that grows food for its cafeteria. I just wish they would have raised over $10K for teacher assistants rather than the garden. My child's first grade has 29 enrolled students and one lone teacher. Unfortunately we only have a couple of parent volunteers for the classroom as well. We are definitely looking for another school.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

All Students78%

Students without disabilities49%
Proficient in English56%
Neither migrant nor immigrant48%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Environmental

• Cross country
  • Flag football
  • Volleyball

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6700 East Virginia Ave