Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

About to start year 5 at Cory. Great school, good principal, and we have been impressed with each and every teacher. The homework and testing is very challenging. I am highly skeptical that all of these HGT kids had to leave because they are bored and not challenged by the curriculum. Guess I would have to see it to believe it. Like many others parents, I am not always a fan of some of the Core curriculum approaches to math, but that is hardly the school's fault.

We’ve had a great experience at Cory. Initially, we were hesitant to send our child to a Denver public school based on a negative experience that we had with DPS. The support for different learning levels at Cory, as well as the teacher involvement and enthusiasm, has surpassed our expectations. We will send our next child here as well, and then both to a Charter or Private school for sixth grade and beyond.

We moved to the area based on the school's rating. Though we were happy in the first two years, we are finding out it was because of the teachers and not the school or the Principal. I echo the sentiments of previous reviewers regarding bullying, lack of HGT focus (though it is a HGT magnet program) and the Principal's incompetency. Though we live a couple blocks from this school, we'll take our child to another school ASAP!

Buyer beware! While at one time this school was a legitimate HGT/GT magnate school, the new principal has totally changed everything. There is no advanced content- even in "challenge" math (not even available to 4th and 5th grade). Many of the best teachers are leaving and so are many very involved families. The new Principal is a poor leader, ask almost any parent whose kids still go there. She also speaks to the parents and students as if they are all in kindergarten. If you are in need of GT or HGT services for your child, go to Polaris or get out of DPS!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I think there are some excellent teachers at this school, although in the past three years I've seen a number of the best leave to go to different schools (a couple as close as C3) to get away. It is very hard for an excellent teacher to teach students who are well below grade level and others who are a couple grades higher in ability in the same classroom. There is no accelerated content and the smart kids get bored. Not the teachers fault.

My child has attended this school for the last 3 years. She has had an amazing experience. The teaching techniques incorporate several different learning styles and they keep the students engaged while learning. We have several neighbors who also have had amazing experiences here. We highly recommend this school.

My child was bullied mercilessly and the child who bullied him was given a very public award for basically adhering to the golden rule. What a joke and slap in the face at the same time. The principal is incompetent and throws out a lot of jargon to cover up her biases. We went to the school because of its rating and even though my child is gifted, we couldn't run away fast enough.

Cory has gone downhill over the past two years. Part of it is due to the lack of funding for para professionals in the classroom by DPS and partly because the focus has become bridging the gap rather than helping all grow. A lot of the GT kids leave by 4th grade because they need to be challenged. The teachers are generally wonderful educators but it's difficult with about 30 kids in a classroom. The principal is inexperienced and it shows.

Cory is an awesome school. I'm in 5th grade and have had an amazing time there since I arrived in the 1st grade. The staff members are great and I love my teacher and class, they are the best! I wake up every morning not being able to wait to go to school. I have such a fun time there while knowing that i'm learning a lot too. I could never recommend a better elementary school.

We had a horrible experience at Cory. We moved there for the HGT program, and found it to be non-existent. The HGT coordinator never returned a single call or email, and I never saw her in person, despite countless attempts. And I also never saw my child's Advanced Learning Plan, and I'm certain it was not delivered in the classroom. On top of the imaginary HGT program they tout, the principal is not someone who should be allowed to work with children, and her group think tendencies start at the top and bleed down throughout the staff in the school. I genuinely could not wait to get my kid out of this school. If you want your child to thrive in a learning environment that nurtures them and helps them thrive in every area, run as far away as possible from this school.

Last modified Cory Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.