Edison Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted June 9, 2014

The Principal has done a great job keeping this school relevant. Some teachers need improving or to move on, but for the most part we feel it's a great school with excellent leadership and good teachers. It has good community engagement and outreach with a great community garden and well kept playground. We are glad to be sending our child here.

Posted June 9, 2014

I agree with both prior post from April (2011 & 2012). Edison is a community school, and the school leadership, teachers and district administration can only take it so far. I have to question the people who blame the teachers, or even the principal, for a negative experience at this school.

Posted June 8, 2014

My daughter just finished Kindergarten at Edison. I could not be more pleased with this school. The families, the staff, the teachers, and all the other people we have met, through Edison, are helpful and supportive. We are looking forward to another five years at Edison.

Posted November 15, 2013

We just moved back into the neighborhood and we are excited to be able to send our child Edison. It is a great school with an amazing principal and great teachers.

Posted March 1, 2013

Sorry but this school did nothing for my son! He may as well have never been in kindergarten. Signing up to spend time at the "prison" that is locked down is ridiculous. Centennial is much better about parents joining the class. 2 thumbs down.

Posted September 19, 2012

We have been at Edison for 2 years also, after moving from out of state. I truly appreciate the efforts by the staff to serve all students well. I think that the "flooding" concept...moving students to skill-appropriate classes based on their strengths/weaknesses in major subjects...is interesting and has helped my daughter stay strong in areas where she excels. There are tons of after school activities. Teachers seem to be more hit and miss, but I sort of expect that almost anywhere and haven't had a "bad" experience, just some better than others. And some truly outstanding! I know people have griped about the principal but we have had nothing but good experiences.

Posted July 24, 2012

My daughter has been at Edison for 2 years. We have no experience with the former administration. All in all our experience has been outstanding. Their are an amazing number of after school programs, teachers who love our children and work hard at not only fostering life long learners, but being one. However, there is room to improve. You may not like the principal, get an inexperienced teacher and some of the parents may drive you crazy. My child is not in the HGT and she still tests a year advanced. She has made great friends. We have chosen to foster a community that supports each other as well as the teachers.

Posted July 1, 2012

My son and I just moved to Colorado and my son transitioned into Edison in January (half way through the school year). He just finished the 1st grade and I have to say that we had a really great experience at Edison. When I registered him for school the Vice Principle came and shook my hand and welcomed us to the school, she was very friendly as was most of the staff. My son really loved his teacher and there is a really great mix of families and kids there. We will be back next year for sure.

Posted May 8, 2012

The new administration seems to be gutting the school. Some of this is caused by the divide between the HGT and regular classes, but the end effect is that many of the great teachers in both HGT and regular classrooms are either leaving or being forced to leave. Their replacements are generally fresh graduates that are not as capable as the experienced teachers that left. The current school does not have anywhere close to the community involvement it had in prior years. Many of the motivated parents and teachers have moved on and the school is changing dramatically. Test scores are the primary focus at the school rather than learning. The new principal has definitely given a "my way or the highway" which is probably why enrollment actually dropped recently. It seems that with the great teachers going or gone that Edison has become just another middling elementary school with large class sizes and inexperienced teachers.

Posted April 13, 2012

We have been at Edison for 3 years now. One with the old administration and 2 with the new. I'm still surprised how many people say they do not feel welcome in the school, just because they have to fill out a background check (district policy!) and get buzzed in the front doors by the front office. I for one, feel like my kids are safer at school because of these policies. The principal was brought in to make sure the non-HGT classes get as good as an education as the HGT classes. Why this has caused so much controversy baffles me. My children have loved their teachers and I feel like my children (one HGT, one not) have both had amazing educations that fit their individual needs. My biggest complaint is that so many parent complain about things, but fail to get involved to help better the school... I'm sure it happens everywhere, but if people spent more time working together we could have a pretty amazing school.

Posted July 14, 2011

The new principal is horrible. She is rude to children, teachers, and parents. She believes and has said aloud, "It's my way or the highway!". Disappointing to see a wonderful school go downhill so fast.

Posted May 20, 2011

After a long year as a parent at Edison I must say that I m walking away disappointed. This being my child s first year at the school I hoped the love my child had for learning would stay, how ever we never really felt welcome, this put my child in a not to comfortable place 5 days a week. Some of the staff was great. Many of the kids are very nice, most of the parents are stuck up!!!! Walking around like there poop don t stink, just below is a good example of one. Just because Every One say s That school is great Don t make it so. A school is only as great as the people involved in it!!!!!

Posted April 20, 2011

I have no problem with filling out an application to volunteer at my child's school.This is a public elementary school and whether we enjoy the diversity or not, other people's families may contain adults we would rather not have around our children. I have always felt very welcome in the building and appreciated. In addition, my child's teachers appreciate the new administration.I guess you can't please everyone, but everyone that I speak with is very happy with Edison. DPS is a choice district, and Edison has a waiting list, so if parents are not happy, I am sure there are other schools that they could enroll their children in so that families that WANT to be a Edison can have a spot.

Posted December 15, 2010

I'm a freshman at the University of Colorado at Boulder and attended Edison Elementary. My ratings will, of course, be very dated. If Edison's gifted and talented (GT) program is still intact, then I highly recommend it. I cannot speak for the regular program. The GT program gave me an excellent foundation for all my schooling to date. The only times I sank was when I went on to the International Baccalaureate program at Hamilton Middle. Coming from the GT program, where creativity and unique approaches to learning were accepted and nurtured, the regimen of the IB program failed to cater to the more whole person mindset of the GT program. In order to enter it, you will have to have your child tested. I highly encourage you to do this. Had I not been the GT program most of my talent and ability would have been wasted. Those times in my educational career where I wasn't challenged or allowed to approach things creatively, i.e., in the IB program, I would drift elsewhere, lose interest and motivation, and consequently fall behind. Instead my focus turned to things outside the classroom, while I continued to learn in this sense, the three R's were then disregarded and my grades fell.

Posted October 4, 2010

I have a child that went to Edison is now in middle school and succeeding academically. I attribute this to her background from Edison. We have another child still at Edison and are very impressed with the teacher quality. In past years, Edison has also had a wonderful community feel to it. However, there is new administration this year and I will say we are very disappointed with the new principal that started this fall. She made drastic changes to the culture of the school when the culture was great already. Parents do not feel welcome any longer. Hopefully, this will change with time. Staff, too, is finding the new leadership difficult. In general, Edison has always been great and we hope it will continue to be in the future.

Posted March 16, 2010

All my children have/are attending Edison. We are well out of area and I don't mind the travel at all to bring my children to this wonderful school. Yes, the classrooms are a bit crowded but the teaching staff does an awesome job to make sure each child succeeds. Parent involvement is incredible! The staff in the office are always friendly, which is a great first impression for future parents.

Posted January 26, 2009

Great if you are pushing your child to be an average student. The curriculum is a joke, but that may be the fault of all of DPS. No groups for children who are advanced or struggling, and unfortunately, we have had 3 teachers and 2 were sub par. We will have our work cut out for us transitioning to middle school; less csap, more education.

Posted December 7, 2008

Edison is a good school. It has a dedicated staff. There are issues between GT and regular classrooms but every school has its issues. Classroom size ranges around 25 to 28 kids per classroom. The school lacks in class enrichment opportunities for students who fall in mid range acedemically and you may be disappointed that your child is not being challenged enough. Parent involvement is off the charts and the after schools enrichment opportunities are phenominal.

Posted June 9, 2008

I moved from Thornton CO last year to Highlands, Denver. My son attended Edison this past year and excelled in every area! His teacher was amazing and patient. The principal is fantastic and the office staff are always so nice. I love this school and neighborhood! I look forward to next year at Edison Elementary.

Posted September 20, 2007

after/before school activities are excellent, if you can pay for them. A few are $5 - $10 each semester but most are $50+. HGT program is 'thru the roof awesome', however, the normal classroom leaves alot to be desired. Office staff usually have no idea where your child is at or whats going on with PTA or anyother activity for that matter. Communication is poor between school and home, except thru the teachers by directly emailing them or calling the classroom. Overall, it is an ok school and my child does well in the HGT program. My younger child will probably go to a different school though.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students76%

Students without disabilities64%
Proficient in English61%
Neither migrant nor immigrant61%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school