Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This school divides the community within the community. The principal is a bully, incredibly divisive and manipulative. She silences, threatens, and isolates parents who speak up and try to advocate for their children, or be involved with volunteer efforts that don’t agree with only her vision. I can only imagine that there aren't more poor reviews on here because people are afraid of the principal or they are just simply done fighting the fight. People are silent about their negative experiences because they are afraid of how the school will treat, or not pay attention to their child's needs. When you start talking to other parents though, they whisper about how they've had negative experiences with the school and the principal and ask you not to say anything for fear it will negatively impact their child. No wonder they focus so much on bully prevention. The principal lacks vision, has been there too long, and doesn't listen to the parents of the children in the community. Low parent satisfaction scores, a drop from green to yellow, low PTA involvement, and covering up issues is more of a priority than the social/emotional well being of the children. Beware...

We met with Mrs. Whitelock this morning and she is an incredibly impressive and diplomatic leader. We have been very pleased with the patient and attentive teachers we've had as well (ECE Brown & Kindergarten McSherry). My child has loved both of them and is learning very well in the classroom. We are very happy at this school and so is our child!

We have a son in 2nd grade. All of his teachers have been great. The administration is lovely. We have no complaints. We are so very happy and so is our son. Go Edison! Keep up the great work!

The Principal has done a great job keeping this school relevant. Some teachers need improving or to move on, but for the most part we feel it's a great school with excellent leadership and good teachers. It has good community engagement and outreach with a great community garden and well kept playground. We are glad to be sending our child here.

I agree with both prior post from April (2011 & 2012). Edison is a community school, and the school leadership, teachers and district administration can only take it so far. I have to question the people who blame the teachers, or even the principal, for a negative experience at this school.

My daughter just finished Kindergarten at Edison. I could not be more pleased with this school. The families, the staff, the teachers, and all the other people we have met, through Edison, are helpful and supportive. We are looking forward to another five years at Edison.

We just moved back into the neighborhood and we are excited to be able to send our child Edison. It is a great school with an amazing principal and great teachers.

Sorry but this school did nothing for my son! He may as well have never been in kindergarten. Signing up to spend time at the "prison" that is locked down is ridiculous. Centennial is much better about parents joining the class. 2 thumbs down.

We have been at Edison for 2 years also, after moving from out of state. I truly appreciate the efforts by the staff to serve all students well. I think that the "flooding" concept...moving students to skill-appropriate classes based on their strengths/weaknesses in major subjects...is interesting and has helped my daughter stay strong in areas where she excels. There are tons of after school activities. Teachers seem to be more hit and miss, but I sort of expect that almost anywhere and haven't had a "bad" experience, just some better than others. And some truly outstanding! I know people have griped about the principal but we have had nothing but good experiences.

My daughter has been at Edison for 2 years. We have no experience with the former administration. All in all our experience has been outstanding. Their are an amazing number of after school programs, teachers who love our children and work hard at not only fostering life long learners, but being one. However, there is room to improve. You may not like the principal, get an inexperienced teacher and some of the parents may drive you crazy. My child is not in the HGT and she still tests a year advanced. She has made great friends. We have chosen to foster a community that supports each other as well as the teachers.

Last modified Edison Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.