Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

As the music teacher at Gilpin Montessori, I love my experience. We are a public Montessori school in Denver Public Schools. We have a beautiful, old school that has so much space and light. For being in the city, the play area outside is very large and consists of three different playgrounds (one fenced in for Primary), a large open field, and two gardens run by parents, community members, and students. One of the gardens has an outdoor classroom space. In almost all of the classrooms, we have both a lead teacher and an assistant. The class sizes are anywhere from 18-25 students which allows for more individualized attention. There are lots of programs for students and opportunities including, art club, Girls on the Run, choir, CYSO violin program, guitar club, girl scouts, and boy scouts. We are always looking to add new initiatives to give our students more opportunities to learn. Gilpin Montessori is only one of handful of "Little Kids Rock" Schools in Denver right now. Little Kids Rock donated guitars, keyboards, and a new sound system to the students at Gilpin Montessori. The students attend music, physical education, art, library, computers, and group counseling every week. No school is perfect, but all of the teachers and administration at Gilpin Montessori work very hard every day to provide the best experience for our students. The teachers at Gilpin believe in the work they are doing and do everything they can to help every child be successful. As a member of the staff, I see the many challenges we are up against, but I also see a staff does everything they can to overcome those challenges. As a school, we have great strides to still make, but I believe we implementing changes in a positive direction for the future of Gilpin.

Amount of homework: no rating

This is decided per teacher, so the results are varying.. Probably also across grade levels

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Administration does not model this behavior for students, how then can students learn it and develop these valuable traits?

Students are not safe here. There are no consequences for physical violence. Some students are favored over others by administration.

Develops character: Agree

The Montessori Method holds these values in all aspects of daily life at school. Gilpin, being Montessori, has these as it's core values.

Love, love, love this school. If you want your kids to learn in a logical hands-on way, and learn about the world and other people in a way that a test can never account for, this is the school for you. It is truly a special place.

We have been at Gilpin for 3 years now and have seen the school grow by leaps and bounds. We are a diverse community, which is one of the things we love about the school. The teachers care deeply about the students and they are Montessori trained. The materials are beautiful and my kids are able to work to their own level. We have a new principal taking over this next year and are very excited about all she has to offer. In the next few years, I think the test scores (and hence the school score) will increase significantly. Currently our upper elementary (4th and 5th) students are not all Montessori trained and many are new to the school. As students who have attended the school since ECE move up, the school will continue to improve.

I rally like Gilpin. It has a family atmosphere about it and my children like going to school.

My son is now in 5th grade he has been coming to Gilpin since E.C.E and he has transitioned since it turned Montessori and he will continue Montessori education and I could not be happier with his growth it is an awesome school!!!! My oldest son also attended Gilpin he is now in high school taking honors classes!!!

Gilpin is on its way to being a true success story for the Denver Public Schools! As a public Montessori school closest to downtown Denver, it provides access to a quality Montessori education for a diverse student body. Each year gets better and better. My son is in his second year of the primary level, and he has thrived at Gilpin. His teacher runs a disciplined and authentic Montessori classroom. Class sizes are small, teachers are engaged, and parent participation is increasing. I love the attention that is spent on grace and courtesy along with independent learning. Good things are happening here!

Last modified Gilpin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.