Hamilton Middle School 3

Posted September 11, 2014
I think the academics at this school are on target, or getting there, but I am concerned about the strictures put on girls with regard to their unspoken duty to dress "appropriately." In the real world, we call this "slut shaming." Boys can wear shorts above the knee, but not girls. Boys can wear t shirts with some "spicy" sayings, but girls get busted if they wear tanks with less than three finger wide shoulder straps. WHOSE FINGERS? That is problematic, in and of itself. Keep your fingers off my child's shoulders, thank you! If HMS handed us a dress code in the parent handbook, that is what they need to stick with. There is now the news that the dress code is changing so that girls can't wear skinny jeans or leggings. Frankly, if boys are so distracted by this (seen all over the city, not peculiar to Hamilton), then they are the ones who need some shaming. This dress policy change, made after school shopping occurred in many households, is just plain Draconian. I'm sure some administrators and faculty would love it if kids showed up in Amish attire, but that is not going to happen. Feeling pretty fed up.

Posted June 18, 2014
This school has made many great changes. The security is amazing now. I am a 7th grader, going into 8th and last year as a 6th grader was terrible. The PEAK kids (known as TAP back then) were out of control (so were some of the IPM kids but it was the teachers who influenced the behavior in the TAP program). Students were throwing pencils at the ceiling and running out of classrooms. It was anarchy. But when principle Dawkins showed up, he was like our savior. He hired new teachers and deans and assistant principles. Together they enforced a strict new set of rules. The new Avid program has been amazing as well. The teacher is perfect for the position. Avid is about going to college. They tour near by college campuses and learn how to be more responsible is the career world. This is truly a school of excellence. It is an honor to go to this school. If you are a parent with a child about to start middle school, then let them start at Hamilton, a school of greatness.

Posted April 25, 2014
Talk about a turnaround! New principal, new vice principals, new deans, and the kids are back in the saddle! Test scores going up, school spirit high. Teachers have a great attitude. I love that my kid is learning, and I love that he loves going to school.

Posted April 25, 2014
Hamilton Middle School likes to brag that it is a AAA school - which stands for Academics, Arts, and Athletics. As a parent of two Hamilton students, I can say that academics is very much the emphasis at this school. In both the PEAK program and the IPM program, my kids were academically challenged, and supported when they had trouble with the material. I love the "Million-Word-Reader" program. In the arts, they have an incredible stage and auditorium for performances, considering they are a middle school, and the orchestra is worth seeing. In athletics, my kids found teams and team spirit. They worked hard and made friends, and brought home some championships. Overall, my husband and I are very pleased with our kids' middle school experience at Hamilton.

Posted February 14, 2014
I have had 2 of my daughters go to this school, and the social and academic atmosphere at this school is great! My children have lots of nice and smart friends and if my child needs help, they get full time one on one attention. I love this school!

Posted February 01, 2014
My school is phenomenal with our new Principal Dawkins. I am an eighth grader in the IPM Program with a 4.0 GPA and have been through all the ups and downs of Hamilton, but with our new staff everyone can feel safe and learn in this new environment. The 8th grade class here is actually the best in DPS! Orchestra, band, singing, acting and all the other after school departments are truly amazing and I couldn't be more proud. The security, while strict, is great now because these kids need to be put back in their place and the PEAK teachers actually try on the kids unlike the last ones that openly told their student that they were stupid and could never live up to the IPM students. I swear while I can't speak for PEAK there is no bullying at all here, there are cliques of course but each clique basically accepts the other and leaves eachother alone like a little biosphere haha. I strongly recommend enrolling your children to this great school, and I guarantee that the '6' rating will soon be raised to an '8' or even a '9'! This school has great potential, just you wait. Go Huskies!

Posted January 17, 2014
My son, now an 8th grader in the PEAK (formerly TAP) program at Hamilton has some significant learning issues. He has pronounced attentional deficits as well as a disability of working memory plus some language processing issues. He has a high intellectual capacity, which helps him compensate for his disabilities, and so is able to struggle along. He is not a behavior problem. Still, he is a complicated student, and, given his shy nature, he would be easy to overlook in a full classroom. My hat is off to the teachers of Hamilton. Since 6th grade, they have taken the time necessary to work with him and to meet with me and his father to see that his academic needs are met. These teachers are truly dedicated, and I want to thank them. (Especially the 6th grade team who helped him transition to middle school so well.) You all are my heros.

Posted January 06, 2014
I went through the Hamilton IPM program for all three years and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I have made many friends and gotten a 4.0 GPA. I couldn't speak for PEAK (TAP) students but I think that the academics are very good. Also, since the old principal, (Ms. Gutierrez) has been replaced by Mr. Dawkins, Hamilton is improving every day. Although I have disliked a few teachers, overall the teachers were engaged and supportive, if I had a problem they would help me out. Hamilton has properly prepared me for high school.

Posted December 11, 2013
Hamilton middle school is providing my 7th grader with the foundational knowledge to succeed in high school, but more importantly, my daughter is happy. She continuously comes home enthused with stories about the teachers, assignments, or activities from the day that inform me of the quality instruction taking place inside of Hamilton Middle School.

Posted December 10, 2013
We have been involved with the school for 5 years and my children have always felt safe to go to school and in general like going to school every day. New administration has been working hard to improve the school's internal environment - successful so far. The IPM Program has also proved to be a good fit.

Hamilton Middle School
8600 East Dartmouth Ave, Denver, CO  80231
Last modified Hamilton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hamilton Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 59 reviews.