Posted May 17, 2014
The new principal previously turned around an underperforming DPS school filled with primarily ESL students. Now he is taking a school that for years had inherited the GT & HGT students from the high performing Carson Elementary and turning it into a school like the one where he previously worked. It is clear he has an agenda but the students' best interest is NOT IT. When you dumb down honors programs and slow down the teaching to allow "everyone to be taught the same," it is doing a disservice to the students and community. This was once a school to be proud of, but no more. Parents are taking their children elsewhere while teachers are leaving to find a community with a rich, supportive learning environment, not one that paints that halls in rainbows to distract from the real issues. If you are truly considering this school, PLEASE ask parents of 8th grade students would had the benefit of Don Roy as principal and can give you a fair assessment. The teachers cannot speak freely and newbies have nothing to compare. A good education is at stark here - don't waste an opportunity to find a superior option.

Posted May 16, 2014
Run for the hills parents!! Huge numbers of parents are pulling their 6th graders out of Hill after experiencing the new principal for a semester. Both teachers and students are leaving in big numbers. The numbers don't quite reflect the damage yet as many teachers have not yet announced their decision to leave and parents are clamoring to find other options. Teaching environment is awful and teachers are afraid of the principal. The principal is acting unilaterally, making big changes to the honors program without consulting with the teachers. It is the honors student families that are leaving in big numbers. He removed Visual Arts from the curriculum without consulting with parents and decided to pull in martial arts. Say What?? Parents supporting this don't really understand what is going on as teachers are afraid to speak up for fear of losing their jobs. Parents take a closer look at this school and make sure to speak with other parents before making a decision. The Principal is all about the standardized testing as well. Your students will spend more time testing here than at any other school.

Posted March 13, 2014
Waited to observe the changes others were quick to condemn (I know - change is hard) and I have to say, I am THRILLED. The new principal's interaction with families and kids is outstanding. He hosts coffees once a month and has been part of dessert events to talk with parents and hear their concerns and address questions. My kids and I have already talked with him far more than the former principal - he knows my kids! Yes, he is amping up the academics offered at the mid and lower academic levels, but that shouldn't negatively impact the GT program, only making the talent pool in the entire school stronger. His goal is to get more kids to the advanced level, not just close the achievement gap! Improvement in any area makes Hill an even better school - and we love it!

Posted February 12, 2014
This is because the school is excellent in every way. I am a honors level 8th grader at this school and have been here for almost three years. Every year has been a blast with great staff and great teachers! I feel like I am being challenged but also getting great support from all my teachers, even though I hate history my history teacher makes it all worth while. All in all this school is a great place for having fun while learning.

Posted January 26, 2014
The new principal & change in the way the curriculum is taught is fraught with problems and inefficiencies which have either been ignored, addressed at a superficial level or simply given lip service with no plan of action reviewed with or explained to parents. What was once a strong school with a tiered system for learning is now a school bent on teaching to the middle to close the achievement gap. DPS is doing a disservice to the community and students with this "new" way of educating. The general consensus from high achieving students & parents is it will take time, perhaps a few years, for this school to get back on track. Very disappointing.

Posted October 06, 2013
The school is going through a transition of principals. The new principal is a breath of fresh air and we have seen so many improvements to the culture this year. The school has seen a drop in enrollment and data - a change was needed. I fully support the new principal and know he will return Hill to being a great school.

Hill Campus Of Arts And Sciences 3

Posted October 06, 2013
I went to Hill a few years ago, and it was wonderful. i was in the Honors Program, and it prepared me for high school perfectly. However, I have heard and observed through the current students at Hill, that there have been a few changes. These changes must have good intentions, but the results are nothing but negative. First of all, they can't leave the lunchroom during lunch. This is strange for me to think about; I spent many of my lunches at Hill in my teachers' classrooms getting help if I didn't completely, 100% understand the lesson from the last class. Knowing that this is an option has helped me tremendously through high school, and I'm not afraid to ask for help now. Secondly, they are required to wear huge, yellow safety vests to the bathroom. Can I just say: who knows the population of Hill that has hand-washing as a regular habit? This is RE-VOLT-ING. Most importantly, the Honors program is changing. Of course having different levels of classes is going to be controversial. But being with kids at your exact pace was such a relief after going through elementary school with everyone mixed together. *Dear Mr. New Principal, please don't change the Honors Program one bit.*

Hill Campus Of Arts And Sciences 2

Posted October 05, 2013
Parents should think twice about this school now. The quality of the outgoing principal compared to the incoming principal is painful to watch.

Hill Campus Of Arts And Sciences 4

Posted October 03, 2013
Hill Campus is undergoing significant program changes to be in effect Fall 2014. (In all fairness, check with the school for details.) First off, this school has some phenomenal teachers who we are fortunate our kids have been exposed to. It's a safe, clean and pleasantly busy environment. Academically, the school has an Honor's Program which is tiered so kids are grouped with similar achievers. Prior to this year, the different levels could cover material quicker or slower based how the students grasped it. It left time for other learning/projects that could supplement the core. Our first child that attended Hill was exposed to some amazing instruction in writing, math, woodshop, etc. that knocked outsiders' socks off... "She learned THAT in public school?" Apparently, the leveling system opened up students looking at where they were compared to others and it created challenges. So next year, there will be two learning tracks- kids who are higher achievers and kids who will hopefully be high achievers some day. All will go at the same pace now. I wonder if such a significant change of course is the only option to deal with social/academic comparisons.

Posted July 21, 2011
I am a teacher with Hill Campus and I'm entering my 6th year with the faculty, administration and students of this wonderful school! Students have so many excellent opportunities to grow and be challenged here. We have strong and positive discipline standards, and maintain a high standard of academic excellence for all students. I can also say students have FUN at our school! There are so many extracurricular choices (after school), and in-school ways to explore their burgeoning personalities: Student council, sports, arts competitions, brain-bowl, mathletics, National History Day, School Store...! I love the climate at Hill and absolutely recommend this middle school among its peers in DPS.

Hill Campus Of Arts And Sciences
451 Clermont St, Denver, CO  80220
Last modified Hill Campus Of Arts And Sciences is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hill Campus Of Arts And Sciences Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.