Denver, CO

Posted January 20, 2015
Don't go! First you might think its a really good school when you come in but that's because the teachers change their whole personality to make it look like your actually doing work. I've seen that with all teachers as a student. They are also separated which is totally pointless recess and lunch is time to socialize with your friends, your better off going to an all girls or boys school.Just today we had a basket ball game and their not letting you stay unless you have a parent. They completely don't trust us. The kids graffiti on the school. And the bathrooms. There is way too Much fighting and drama. In One week we can have 5 fights but they won't do anything. Just tell us to stop. They are creating all of these rules that are completly unnecessary and uneeded. They care about our dress code and rules more than the actual education. For your best do not take your kid here. The principle won't even be here all of the time its all Mr.stringer (kudos) but still mr franklin has no point in his job but to make kids feel bad about themselfs. ( I made a new friend and he told me that I changed and I needed to change back) he is not responsible of my personality.don't go!

Merrill Middle School 2

Posted January 19, 2015
I had high hopes for Merrill and my child did well the 6th grade year. However, now there is basically no homework every night-none, zippo, zilch, nada. My child also remarked this year that the teachers all seem unhappy and a few seem to go overboard with punishments (i.e. if you speak one word while the teacher is speaking, you will be written up). The school has a restricted dress code and the administration spends a lot of time riding students for that (no sweats policy is one-unless they have pockets-however, most boys are allowed to wear any sweats. Leggings aren't permitted-why not allow them if a shirt is worn to cover the rear). My child also complains about kids in the classroom acting out and disrupting learning. Then the teacher has to repeatedly keep attention on these kids. At times, the entire class is punished because of the group of kids that cause the trouble. Overall, this does not equal a good learning environment for my child and we are looking elsewhere. I do have to give kudos to Mr. Stringer. He works his b*** off. If one were to come to the school repeatedly, they'd probably think he was the principal.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 30, 2014
This school has been trying to turn itself around but still has some significant hurdles. There are frequent teacher absences; my son has a list of his 'favorite subs.' One day he had 4 subs. Teachers disappear without explanation, are pulled out of class when they are about to give a lesson. Surely this can be orchestrated better. The kids lose out.

Posted April 27, 2014
Merrill was great. I graduated from there last year and miss everything about it. It also prepared me for high school in an IB program. I really appreciated the fact that it is a diverse and cultural community school. I don't understand any of the negative responses on this website. It made me want to write the truth about Merrill and the truth is that it is an AWESOME school. The teachers are the BEST!

Posted April 27, 2014
Merrill Middle School has been wonderful for our entire family. My kids have been taught how to think and grow into themselves as individuals. The teachers are top-notch and go above and beyond to reach each student. TCAP scores don't rate these qualities and although TCAP scores at Merrill are high and improving - these are qualities that are important to consider. I am a proud parent of Merrill and am grateful for the wonderful experience it provided for my kids.

Posted April 27, 2014
Merrill school is full of caring professionals that work hard to make Merrill a welcoming place where students can succeed. I like that so many different cultures are part of the school community. I would recommend Merrill as a DPS Middle School.

Posted March 19, 2014
The leadership of Merrill is totally insensitive to the individual student and teachers. I always wonder what is "broken" at a school with a high turn over rate of teachers. The DPS administration needs to take a close look at the Principal. I understand she rules with threats and fear. The Principal needs to be re-placed immediately!!!! As a taxpayer I resent a sub-human person interacting with "our" children.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 15, 2014
The worst school ever teacher and principal at Merrill don't care about your student. They promise so many changes and nothing never happens it just keeps getting worst. I would not recommend this so to my worst enemies it's just simply awful in every aspect specially academics.

Posted February 23, 2014
I love this school! You can be yourself and you don't have to try and fit in because it happens naturally. All of the teachers try really hard to teach you and they help you understand the lessons. The principal and vice principal are always right in top of things and the counselor is amazing. You can go to her anytime of day and talk about how you are feeling. You don't have to worry about bullying because there are so many different ethnic groups there, that you get used to seeing different people. They now serve breakfast in the first period class so everybody gets a chance to eat. During winter (now) they have the heaters going in all of the classrooms. I absolutely love this school and I will continue to go here.

Posted February 05, 2014
This is the worst school ever my child gets bullied and nothing is done. Nothing but racist and disrespectful and immature children and adults are in this school. Graffiti is done in the bathroom, children bully each other and because teachers hate there jobs they take it out on the students. My child doesn't learn anything and because of the environment she cant. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL!

Merrill Middle School
1551 South Monroe St, Denver, CO  80210
Last modified Merrill Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Merrill Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top