Denver, CO

Morey Middle School 4

Posted February 16, 2015
We have been very pleased with Morey even though there have been some ups and downs with all the transition the past few years. Our daughter is finishing up her 8th grade year in the HGT program. Our son will be there next year in the HGT program in 6th grade. My daughter found her niche and had a good group of friends. Bullying has not been an issue overall. There are lots of great opportunities at Morey given the urban setting. Last year our daughter was involved in the Anthropology Club. They got to work weekly at the Colorado History Museum creating and developing their very own Morey exhibit complete with a ceremony when it was complete. The exploratory arts offer incredible chances to learn new skills. Definitely have your kids enroll in band and/or orchestra even if they have never picked up an instrument. Art is another amazing option. There have definitely been lots of transitions, but we are excited and hopeful with Mr. Tonk now serving as principal. He is definitely committed to growing the school in many ways and serving all the students that attend. You could tell the teachers were excited about Mr. Tonk when we attended back to school night this past fall.

Posted February 13, 2015
My son has attended Morey Middle School for three years now and we have been very pleased with the experience. While there have been a number of changes in school leadership over the years that have been challenging, the current principal has done an excellent job of getting things back on track. Despite being the biracial son of two dads he has NEVER experienced bullying during his 2 1/2 years at Morey. We've heard reports of it, but have never experienced it first hand. If there were issues, I know they have been addressed. Morey offers our son a wide variety of exploratory programs that he has very much enjoyed such as band, Spanish, and woodshop. He has also excelled in all the fundamental courses as well. If you want to send your kid to a school where they will be sheltered from the real world and only be exposed to a narrow demographic and cultural environment, send them to a private or charter school. However, if you want your kid to be prepared for the real world and understand that there are many cultures and socio-economic that we must learn to co-exist with, then please consider Morey. You won't regret it!

Posted February 13, 2015
I have a 6th grader and an 8th grader at Morey. The band program is outstanding. Academically my kids have had lots of opportunity to think creatively. I like the friends they've made here. My son will be going to East next year and I don't think any other school would have prepared him as well. The new principal is terrific. He has vision and is serious about discipline.
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 11, 2015
My son started in 6th grade this year @ Morey, and has loved it from the start. His teachers are excellent and very responsive to any concerns I've had. The principal, Noah Tonk, is the most committed & passionate principal I have ever seen. We are proud to support our neighborhood school.

Posted January 30, 2015
My son started 6th grade at Morey this fall in the HGT program. I was a little nervous, because I'd heard some mixed reviews, and we were committing to send him to a school that's a 20 minute drive from our house. After visiting Morey, though, he was insistent that this was the school for him, so we agreed. We are so happy with his experience so far. His teachers are kind, supportive and fun. He feels more challenged in his academics than he had all through elementary school. He ended up in Orchestra through a scheduling fluke, and by the end of the second day had decided he loved it, and wanted to be a Bass player. I cannot say enough good things about the music teacher at Morey! The new principal this year is honest, direct and dedicated. He is upfront about the challenges that Morey is facing and never tries to sugar coat them - but he also is relentless in problem solving and truly values the input of parents, and from what I've seen, his staff. Middle school is a tumultuous time in any kids life, but I feel like my child is safe, academically challenged, and being exposed to a diverse range of people. I am so glad we let him go with his gut and choose Morey!
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 29, 2015
Morey's principal is a great leader and is making great changes within the school. Morey has teachers that are amazing - some of the best in DPS. Morey offers academic rigor to all students with Honors classes and the only HGT Magnet for middle school. If you are looking for a school that develops the Whole Child - Morey is the place. Morey offers students the ability to explore their passions, through exploratory arts classes, Enrichment classes and intersession programs. Morey has the best after school program in Middle School - Morey's Neighborhood Center. And don't forget the Mighty Mustangs! Morey continues to be a dominant force in Middle School Athletics! Thanks Morey for being great for my child
6 people found this helpful

Posted January 29, 2015
My very petit 6th grade son has loved every day he has spent at Morey and has always felt safe going to school. He tells me that not only has he never felt bullied, but that he has not seen any bullying or fights at school. He has consistently been given interesting, interdisciplinary assignments and loves the after school clubs. The most surprising thing about Morey for us, however,has been how caring the teachers are - taking an interest in students extracurricular activities similar to the type of interest we were used to in Elementary school, even though each teacher has at least 4-5 times the number of students that grade school teachers have. I cannot imagine him having a better middle school experience anywhere.
6 people found this helpful

Posted January 11, 2015
Morey has a collegial, invested-in-learning staff. We were one of the first schools to adopt a teacher collaboration schedule, and unlike other schools, embraced opening our classrooms and learning from one another. Morey's population reflects the diversity of the city giving students an opportunity to learn from peers whose lives, at the end of the day, are different from their own. I've had many parents tell me Morey prepared their children for the diversity of high school. Besides a quick drop and subsequent rise, Morey has consistently been on the top of the charts in test scores. (A parent who says the school is "on watch" from the Dept. of Ed misinterprets DPS's two-year system for color-coding schools). Morey connects with the community and world. We boast school-led student groups volunteering at plethora of non-profits; parent collaborations with influential state leaders; yearly expeditionary learning trips to San Diego, NYC, Washington DC, 303 Boards, Kronke Sports, and this year Peru. As a former high school teacher, I think Morey prepares students for high school better than most parents, teachers, and students could hope for.

Morey Middle School 1

Posted January 01, 2015
I went to Morey Middle school last year and I hated it, there was a BIG bullying problem, teachers couldn't teach because they had to get the class to be silent and when they were teaching they would be interupted by students. Parents, do NOT let your student(s) go to Morey unless you want them to be tramutized for a year and most likely get bad anxiety.

Morey Middle School 1

Posted November 30, 2014
******PLEASE CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS BEFORE SENDING YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL***** Our 8th grade HGT child is bored & uninspired at Morey. We will not be sending our HGT elementary school child to this school next year. It is a shame that this is the only middle school option for HGT kids in Denver Public Schools. Our child reports that there is constant disruption in classes; teachers seem bored & uninterested in the students, homework is rare; English class has assigned only one book this year so far & it was a typical 6th grade summer reading book & the students had to read along to an audio book during class! [Such a joke...these are HGT students.] There is also zero feedback or contact from our child's advisor. High turnover among teachers and administrators as well. The school is "on watch" by the Dept of Ed due to it's consistent failure as an educational institution for the past several years. This school and the HGT program need a complete overhaul. It is currently a huge disappointment for so many of us parents. It is such a shame especially considering the amount of brainpower being wasted there!
3 people found this helpful

Morey Middle School
840 East 14th Ave, Denver, CO  80218
Last modified Morey Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Morey Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top