Denver, CO

Posted November 30, 2014
******PLEASE CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS BEFORE SENDING YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL***** Our 8th grade HGT child is bored & uninspired at Morey. We will not be sending our HGT elementary school child to this school next year. It is a shame that this is the only middle school option for HGT kids in Denver Public Schools. Our child reports that there is constant disruption in classes; teachers seem bored & uninterested in the students, homework is rare; English class has assigned only one book this year so far & it was a typical 6th grade summer reading book & the students had to read along to an audio book during class! [Such a joke...these are HGT students.] There is also zero feedback or contact from our child's advisor. High turnover among teachers and administrators as well. The school is "on watch" by the Dept of Ed due to it's consistent failure as an educational institution for the past several years. This school and the HGT program need a complete overhaul. It is currently a huge disappointment for so many of us parents. It is such a shame especially considering the amount of brainpower being wasted there!

Posted October 30, 2014
This place you call Morey isnt a school, it's more of a place you go to wast your day. This school is truly going down hill. My 6th grade year at the school was a thriving learning facility. By my 8th grade year the school is failing and hanging by a thread. Most teachers have absolutely no control what's so ever of the chaotic classes. The hgt program is practically a joke to recruit new students. This school punishes good students for things that shouldn't mean anything, and don't do anything to defiant students once they break the law.

Posted October 21, 2014
My school is considerably a bad one. If a good kid does something, he is in big trouble. If a bad kid does something, the teacher is afraid to even stand up to him, annoying. The kids can just walk up and turn down the teacher and the teacher would give them what they want. The teachers have no control it feels like, the homework seems to just be what the teachers fail to do in class, which is a lot. On assignments that need more teaching, the do less. With assignments that need less, they do more. Waste of time. Bullying is everywhere, I've been bullied here often. Chanted gay, etc. Do the teachers help, at all, no. Disappointing to say i regret being here in my third year. Hgt feels no different than other schools just worse at teaching, i wish i could say i feel safe.

Posted October 12, 2014
I am in 7th grade and go to Morey. It is a great school and I learn a lot educationally and a lot about other people and how they have different lives at home. Most of the teachers are great, others not as much but they are all pretty good. I have learned a lot in the HGT program, but not as much in High Strides. I have never seen bullying. Despite what parents say, Morey is a great school and does not have bullying. Morey's extracurricular activities are exciting and fun! The sports and mathletics teams are some of the best in the city. Go Mustangs!

Posted May 28, 2014
If I could give this school a 0 rating it would still be too good. The bullying is too much. The teachers are the worst ever. They don't care whether a student does well or not, they only want them out of their hair. My son wanted extra help with a project he didn't understand and was told to figure it out himself. The principal at Morey cares even less. The bullying, when brought to her attention, is belittled as though it is the persons fault who is being bullied. Some of the teachers have little or no control over their classrooms. When I visited Morey to see how my son was doing, his classroom was in complete chaos. If there is any other choice of school for your child I suggest you take it. Morey is no place for learning.

Posted May 23, 2014
This is the worst school I have ever seen. All the teachers and staff turn a blind eye to bullying. The bully's get rewarded and congratulated while the kids being bullied get reprimanded. I had to go to school and throw a fit because 1 teacher was taking my son off campus without our permission. They didn't even do anything to that teacher but they made my son feel horrible for telling me. The principal knows that all of this is going on and doesn't seem to care. My son has also gotten beat up 3 times this year and the bully is still in school tormenting kids. Morey is the worst school you could ever send your child to if you want them to succeed. It is worth it to drive them to a different school.

Posted April 25, 2014
Hey i go to morey middle school in the 7th grade. I am in the hgt program and until morey i truly could not like any subjects, but now i excel at about everything the school has brought me to yet still brings me new things to learn, i honestly found the coolest things thanks to the caring and friendly teachers and awwweeeesoommme people you meet. GO MUSTANGS!!!!!

Posted December 09, 2013
My daughter transferred here from another DPS school for her 8th grade year. So far, not only has she excelled in her grades, and has made a lot of new friends, but the teachers have also had a very active role in making sure she is comfortable in her new surroundings. She went from receiving Ds consistently in math at her previous middle school, to participating in mathletics and comprehending math. My only regret is that I didn't transfer her to this school sooner. It has really seemed to open educational doors for her.

Posted October 14, 2013
Take a look at CDE's math growth results for Morey 2013. Some bar graph claims Morey achieved 'expected growth'/green in 2013. Now, look at the math TCAP scores for Morey 2012 7th graders: 35% Not Proficient. Same kids in 2013 8th graders: 47% Not Proficient. 47% of the school are socioeconomically disadvantaged. How is the Core Curriculum working for this school? Compare that to a nearby school (Hill Campus) whose socioeconomic disadvantaged population was 55% last year. They're slightly down/ steady or BETTER depending on the grade.

Posted September 27, 2013
I deeply regret sending my daughter to this school. I thought an HGT program would provide her the challenge she needed. So far, it has been easier than her elementary school. The teachers and administrators are reluctant to advance students to the level they desire. No wonder 20% of high school dropouts are gifted.

Morey Middle School
840 East 14th Ave, Denver, CO  80218
Last modified Morey Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Morey Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top