Denver, CO

Posted January 30, 2015
My son started 6th grade at Morey this fall in the HGT program. I was a little nervous, because I'd heard some mixed reviews, and we were committing to send him to a school that's a 20 minute drive from our house. After visiting Morey, though, he was insistent that this was the school for him, so we agreed. We are so happy with his experience so far. His teachers are kind, supportive and fun. He feels more challenged in his academics than he had all through elementary school. He ended up in Orchestra through a scheduling fluke, and by the end of the second day had decided he loved it, and wanted to be a Bass player. I cannot say enough good things about the music teacher at Morey! The new principal this year is honest, direct and dedicated. He is upfront about the challenges that Morey is facing and never tries to sugar coat them - but he also is relentless in problem solving and truly values the input of parents, and from what I've seen, his staff. Middle school is a tumultuous time in any kids life, but I feel like my child is safe, academically challenged, and being exposed to a diverse range of people. I am so glad we let him go with his gut and choose Morey!

Posted January 29, 2015
Morey's principal is a great leader and is making great changes within the school. Morey has teachers that are amazing - some of the best in DPS. Morey offers academic rigor to all students with Honors classes and the only HGT Magnet for middle school. If you are looking for a school that develops the Whole Child - Morey is the place. Morey offers students the ability to explore their passions, through exploratory arts classes, Enrichment classes and intersession programs. Morey has the best after school program in Middle School - Morey's Neighborhood Center. And don't forget the Mighty Mustangs! Morey continues to be a dominant force in Middle School Athletics! Thanks Morey for being great for my child

Posted January 29, 2015
My very petit 6th grade son has loved every day he has spent at Morey and has always felt safe going to school. He tells me that not only has he never felt bullied, but that he has not seen any bullying or fights at school. He has consistently been given interesting, interdisciplinary assignments and loves the after school clubs. The most surprising thing about Morey for us, however,has been how caring the teachers are - taking an interest in students extracurricular activities similar to the type of interest we were used to in Elementary school, even though each teacher has at least 4-5 times the number of students that grade school teachers have. I cannot imagine him having a better middle school experience anywhere.

Posted January 11, 2015
Morey has a collegial, invested-in-learning staff. We were one of the first schools to adopt a teacher collaboration schedule, and unlike other schools, embraced opening our classrooms and learning from one another. Morey's population reflects the diversity of the city giving students an opportunity to learn from peers whose lives, at the end of the day, are different from their own. I've had many parents tell me Morey prepared their children for the diversity of high school. Besides a quick drop and subsequent rise, Morey has consistently been on the top of the charts in test scores. (A parent who says the school is "on watch" from the Dept. of Ed misinterprets DPS's two-year system for color-coding schools). Morey connects with the community and world. We boast school-led student groups volunteering at plethora of non-profits; parent collaborations with influential state leaders; yearly expeditionary learning trips to San Diego, NYC, Washington DC, 303 Boards, Kronke Sports, and this year Peru. As a former high school teacher, I think Morey prepares students for high school better than most parents, teachers, and students could hope for.

Posted January 01, 2015
I went to Morey Middle school last year and I hated it, there was a BIG bullying problem, teachers couldn't teach because they had to get the class to be silent and when they were teaching they would be interupted by students. Parents, do NOT let your student(s) go to Morey unless you want them to be tramutized for a year and most likely get bad anxiety.

Posted November 30, 2014
******PLEASE CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS BEFORE SENDING YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL***** Our 8th grade HGT child is bored & uninspired at Morey. We will not be sending our HGT elementary school child to this school next year. It is a shame that this is the only middle school option for HGT kids in Denver Public Schools. Our child reports that there is constant disruption in classes; teachers seem bored & uninterested in the students, homework is rare; English class has assigned only one book this year so far & it was a typical 6th grade summer reading book & the students had to read along to an audio book during class! [Such a joke...these are HGT students.] There is also zero feedback or contact from our child's advisor. High turnover among teachers and administrators as well. The school is "on watch" by the Dept of Ed due to it's consistent failure as an educational institution for the past several years. This school and the HGT program need a complete overhaul. It is currently a huge disappointment for so many of us parents. It is such a shame especially considering the amount of brainpower being wasted there!
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 30, 2014
This place you call Morey isnt a school, it's more of a place you go to wast your day. This school is truly going down hill. My 6th grade year at the school was a thriving learning facility. By my 8th grade year the school is failing and hanging by a thread. Most teachers have absolutely no control what's so ever of the chaotic classes. The hgt program is practically a joke to recruit new students. This school punishes good students for things that shouldn't mean anything, and don't do anything to defiant students once they break the law.

Posted October 21, 2014
My school is considerably a bad one. If a good kid does something, he is in big trouble. If a bad kid does something, the teacher is afraid to even stand up to him, annoying. The kids can just walk up and turn down the teacher and the teacher would give them what they want. The teachers have no control it feels like, the homework seems to just be what the teachers fail to do in class, which is a lot. On assignments that need more teaching, the do less. With assignments that need less, they do more. Waste of time. Bullying is everywhere, I've been bullied here often. Chanted gay, etc. Do the teachers help, at all, no. Disappointing to say i regret being here in my third year. Hgt feels no different than other schools just worse at teaching, i wish i could say i feel safe.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 12, 2014
I am in 7th grade and go to Morey. It is a great school and I learn a lot educationally and a lot about other people and how they have different lives at home. Most of the teachers are great, others not as much but they are all pretty good. I have learned a lot in the HGT program, but not as much in High Strides. I have never seen bullying. Despite what parents say, Morey is a great school and does not have bullying. Morey's extracurricular activities are exciting and fun! The sports and mathletics teams are some of the best in the city. Go Mustangs!

Posted May 28, 2014
If I could give this school a 0 rating it would still be too good. The bullying is too much. The teachers are the worst ever. They don't care whether a student does well or not, they only want them out of their hair. My son wanted extra help with a project he didn't understand and was told to figure it out himself. The principal at Morey cares even less. The bullying, when brought to her attention, is belittled as though it is the persons fault who is being bullied. Some of the teachers have little or no control over their classrooms. When I visited Morey to see how my son was doing, his classroom was in complete chaos. If there is any other choice of school for your child I suggest you take it. Morey is no place for learning.
4 people found this helpful

Morey Middle School
840 East 14th Ave, Denver, CO  80218
Last modified Morey Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Morey Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top