Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Palmer is our neighborhood school, but I'm opting for another school next year for my children. The teacher turnover rate is very high, and even more disturbing is the fact that teachers are leaving in the middle of the year. This happened to both of my kids! My son did OK when his teacher left, but the transition was really difficult for my daughter. The principal is not honest with families about what's happening at the school, so we all feel left in the dark.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The turnover rate among teachers is so high, there isn't any continuity for the students.

I havey 5 year old son in rolled in mis Hansen's kindergarten class. She is said to be a good teacher.....I wouldn't know though, she has not been there sence the first week! I get that women have babies but the preparation taken for this was very poor! For the first three weeks she was gone there was a flow of sub after sub basically babysitting our kids! Then there was a sub said to be there until mis Hansen could return......that lasted a few days and back to the drawing board! A few subs later we got Mis Maya, she was great and did stay through the remainder of mis Hansen's maturity leave. My son has had below average behavior through this confusing and completely inconsistent time! The entire class with I think 2 or 3 accepting tested below average........just not ok! I will be switching schools and unfortunately my child will have to catch up!

We love Palmer. It's a wonderful, involved, diverse community. The teachers go above and beyond, the PTA is extremely involved. Great school!

I love Palmer. Great teachers and a new Principal are moving this school forward in a very positive way! New computers! Great community of parents making things happen educational and culturally. Our school is growing in many ways.

My son just started at Palmer in Kindergarten this year. The school felt solid to me, but not exciting and had been our second choice. Now I am so glad we came here. Palmer got a new principal over the summer and she is great - very knowledgeable, approachable and involved. Palmer has had steady growth in test scores over the past years, and is now set to build on that foundation to become a really good, innovative and dynamic school.

My kids love Palmer! We have been at the school for 3 years and will continue thru 5th grade. My kids have thrived there. We are a multi-racial family and I love the diversity of the school. Hard to find in DPS. (My kids attended another DPS school in 1st grade and our family had to deal with some racism.) I have found that the teachers are very approachable and interested in every child in their class. There are many different extracurricular activities from sports to Shakespeare and learning languages. I have a friend who kids were a top performing school in DPS ((but where they did not feel welcome) who moved her kids to Palmer this year and they are loving it.

This is our first year at Palmer and my son is in the Advanced Kindergarten class. The school wasn't our first choice but we have been generally impressed. He is learning well and his class is learning together. Teachers are generally friendly and accessible and the principal is straightforward. She could be friendlier but you can't argue with the school's performance levels and improvement it has made. We are hoping to choice into the school next year and that should indicate our happiness.

Very happy with Palmer. It's in a nice, middle-class, safe neighborhood. I have two kids attending, one is an accelerated learner and the other has delays, but both have had the help they need and are doing extremely well. I think the PTA could use more parental support, but overall they do very well with the help that turns out. There are a plethora of after-school activities and in-school productions that kids can be as active as they want or as much as parents can withstand. The principal/staff has made changes that have improved the state tests over the past three years without changes to the school's demographics. The principal will not typically approach me, but is always open to talk when I've asked. The front office friendliness has improved over the the last year too. Overall, I have had a refreshingly positive experience. My kids are happy too and genuinely like going to school.

My son started at Palmer this year for 1st grade. On the second day of school I approached his teacher about my sons learning difference hoping it would give her early insight and together we could find a way to keep him engaged and teach him how to read and write. I was sent to speak with the special ed teacher about it. Everyone was so nice and assured me they would do everything they could. Days turned into weeks and into months. He has made very little progress. They have swept us aside unable to explain what, when or how. My son shows signs of Dyslexia and is on a long waiting list to be properly diagnosed. Do yourself a favor. If your child does not fit into the box that is our Public school system. Run away before its too late and seek the appropriate alternative or your child will get " left behind".

Last modified Palmer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.